4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Exhaust Sound From The Interior...

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2001, 03:58 PM

I recently swapped out my stock muffler with a bomb muffler and noticed that it was much louder on the inside than it is on the outside. Is this usual? It sounds very low and deep on the outside which I really like, but I was wondering how come its so noticeable from the inside. I swear its nicer from the outside. I can only hear it from about 3000 rpm and lower, and more from the intake at above.
Old 08-04-2001, 04:12 PM

i was hoping on getting a big bore exhaust but i didnt want to have lots of noise on the inside. just get a giant tail pipe and put some spoon stickers on your car and that should do it
Old 08-04-2001, 06:18 PM

Originally posted by BenBlanco218
I recently swapped out my stock muffler with a bomb muffler and noticed that it was much louder on the inside than it is on the outside. Is this usual? It sounds very low and deep on the outside which I really like, but I was wondering how come its so noticeable from the inside. I swear its nicer from the outside. I can only hear it from about 3000 rpm and lower, and more from the intake at above.
Normal, yes... why does it happen, b/c you got a straight through muffler, but i dunno why it sounds louder on the inside than the outside? I got a Hayame type 3 muffler and it does the same thing, but lately its been louder for a reason i dunno... i haven't done anything to it, just louder...
Old 08-04-2001, 09:33 PM

Originally posted by Gotrice4

Normal, yes... why does it happen, b/c you got a straight through muffler, but i dunno why it sounds louder on the inside than the outside? I got a Hayame type 3 muffler and it does the same thing, but lately its been louder for a reason i dunno... i haven't done anything to it, just louder...
Well, after driving around today, its about the same noise level on the inside as the outside, its just more of a deep humming sound from the inside, and a nice little purr from the outside. I don't know, I like how it turned out, I guess I'm just not used to it, I'm used to the intake all the time sound. Does anyone else just have the muffler done and nothing else of the exhaust piping?
Old 08-04-2001, 09:50 PM

How far does the exhause tip extended past the bumper opening for the tip? If it is not far enough like equal to it, it can reverberate into the cabin more. Also, what you are experiencing is exhaust drone. It is most noticable between 2000-3000 on most cars. Some exhaust has it some don't. I don't have one on my Max yet but my old prelude definitely had it. Doing the above did help.

If it still bothers you, just crank up the stereo up.
Old 08-05-2001, 02:22 AM

Originally posted by speedy-t
How far does the exhause tip extended past the bumper opening for the tip? If it is not far enough like equal to it, it can reverberate into the cabin more. Also, what you are experiencing is exhaust drone. It is most noticable between 2000-3000 on most cars. Some exhaust has it some don't. I don't have one on my Max yet but my old prelude definitely had it. Doing the above did help.

If it still bothers you, just crank up the stereo up.
Yes, it drones anywhere below 3000 rpm and begins to fade out and more of the intake can be heard above 3000 rpm. Actually, the end of the 4.5" tip sits out about an inch outside of the bumper so I'm not sure what it is, it's welded on, but maybe there's a leak? I don't think so, I'm guessing its just the muffler I chose.
Old 08-05-2001, 05:43 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Originally posted by BenBlanco218

It's louder inside because when the roar is transmitted into the cabin, it is subjected to the vehicle's transfer function, which amplifies lower frequencies.
Old 08-05-2001, 12:18 PM

Originally posted by Micah95GLE

It's louder inside because when the roar is transmitted into the cabin, it is subjected to the vehicle's transfer function, which amplifies lower frequencies.
I figured that, kind of reminds me of a bass tone when I had my subwoofer box in the trunk.