4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Blinking Air Bag Lite

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2001, 06:59 AM

from what i was told by my lil bro while i was at work: my lil bro was gonna go somewhere with my car....he came out to start the car and it wouldn't start.....he opened up the hood and discovered the positive cable came off the terminal post.....my lil bro put the cable back on to the terminal post....he then attempts to start the car again....the car would not start.....then he got a jump...the car started......but then the air bag lite was blinking and would not go off....he kept the engine running for 15 min....turns it off and started it back up....everything is good and cool....thirty minutes later my lil bro goes to start the car again...it wouldn't start....i looked at my battery and the little indicator on the battery is green which means that the battery could still be good....anyone have any idea as to wtf is goin on with my max.....
Old 08-05-2001, 09:20 AM

Originally posted by Yellowbrother
from what i was told by my lil bro while i was at work: my lil bro was gonna go somewhere with my car....he came out to start the car and it wouldn't start.....he opened up the hood and discovered the positive cable came off the terminal post.....my lil bro put the cable back on to the terminal post....he then attempts to start the car again....the car would not start.....then he got a jump...the car started......but then the air bag lite was blinking and would not go off....he kept the engine running for 15 min....turns it off and started it back up....everything is good and cool....thirty minutes later my lil bro goes to start the car again...it wouldn't start....i looked at my battery and the little indicator on the battery is green which means that the battery could still be good....anyone have any idea as to wtf is goin on with my max.....
When you post a technical question it is helpful if you specify the model year of your Maxima, the odometer reading, mods (if any), and recent repair history.

This is the procedure for resetting the dashboard Air Bag warning light.
This information came from the '99 Maxima factory service manual.
Perhaps your Maxima works the same way. It's easy enough to try.

Open the driver's door. Note the rubber covered button, a button which is
pressed by the door when the door is closed. This is the Driver's Door
Switch (DDS).

Turn the ignition from OFF to ON. Press the DDS at least 5 times within 7
seconds after turning the ignition switch ON. Turn the ignition OFF.
Close the driver's door. Start the engine.

Possible causes for this warning light to go on include...
- a fault with the Air Bag.
- abnormally low voltage in the electrical system due to a weak battery.
- a maladjusted door striker plate such that the door does not close properly,
and the DDS is jiggled on and off constantly as you drive.

If the dashboard warning light remains on after you perform this reset procedure you may have to let the dealer handle the problem.
Old 08-05-2001, 11:45 AM

Originally posted by Daniel B. Martin
[B]When you post a technical question it is helpful if you specify the model year of your Maxima, the odometer reading, mods (if any), and recent repair history.[b]
i have a 95 max with 110k miles.....only mod is lowering springs and aftermarket muffler....only major repair is the starter.....

This is the procedure for resetting the dashboard Air Bag warning light.
This information came from the '99 Maxima factory service manual.
Perhaps your Maxima works the same way. It's easy enough to try.

Open the driver's door. Note the rubber covered button, a button which is
pressed by the door when the door is closed. This is the Driver's Door
Switch (DDS).

Turn the ignition from OFF to ON. Press the DDS at least 5 times within 7
seconds after turning the ignition switch ON. Turn the ignition OFF.
Close the driver's door. Start the engine.
i will try this rite away....but the air bag lite is no solid it's blinking...so i don't know if that would make a difference

Possible causes for this warning light to go on include...
- a fault with the Air Bag.
- abnormally low voltage in the electrical system due to a weak battery.
- a maladjusted door striker plate such that the door does not close properly,
and the DDS is jiggled on and off constantly as you drive.

If the dashboard warning light remains on after you perform this reset procedure you may have to let the dealer handle the problem.
i think the prob mite be due to a weak battery....when i get a jump it starts up rite away....i was able to drive the car once it started....i drove it hard and fast....car seems to act normal....but once i turn the car off i am unable to start it back up again....i have once of those indicator on the battery that show if the battery is good or not...rite now my indicator is showing green which show that the battery is still good...is it possible that this indicator could be wrong....is there another way of checking the battery? cuz putting a voltmeter across the battery it would show 12 volts due to different in potential...so i don't think that would help any....
Old 08-05-2001, 11:59 AM

... is there another way of checking the battery? cuz putting a voltmeter across the battery it would show 12 volts due to different in potential...so i don't think that would help any....
Some auto parts stores offer a no-cost charging system test. This is done with an electronic tester and takes only two minutes. Please have this test done.
Old 08-05-2001, 12:12 PM

Originally posted by Daniel B. Martin
Some auto parts stores offer a no-cost charging system test. This is done with an electronic tester and takes only two minutes. Please have this test done.
hmm...autozone? o'reily's hi/lo? pepboys? how bout the local wal-mart? thanks dbm...appreciate ur help sir....damn i wonder if anyone is open on sunday....i'll try this on monday.....
Old 08-05-2001, 04:35 PM

update...

went to autozone and they tested my battery and they said it was low on power....they can't tell if it's dead or all it needs is a recharge.....this mite be the problem/solution to my blinking air bag lite....
Old 08-06-2001, 01:29 AM

Re: update...

went to autozone and they tested my battery and they said it was low on power....they can't tell if it's dead or all it needs is a recharge.....this mite be the problem/solution to my blinking air bag lite....
Hmmm.... the diagnosis sounds weird. Check the fluid levels in the battery. There could be other things that'd make the car not start. Corroded battery terminals/posts. Bad ground from the battery to the engine/body.

If the battery 'just needs to be charged', it could a regulator or an alternator, and not the battery. You may want to see if they can do a charging system check.

-V