4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Rattling from trunk noise

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2001, 04:58 PM

i knopow this belongs in the audio section but im sure most of u would knwo the answer to this question.....my subs sound great from the inside of my car but the trunk rattles so much on the outside....what can i put/do to stop the rattling noise??? please help i appreciate it
Old 08-05-2001, 05:16 PM
All YOUR grammer belong to me

Originally posted by hockeyghst
i knopow this belongs in the audio section but im sure most of u would knwo the answer to this question.....my subs sound great from the inside of my car but the trunk rattles so much on the outside....what can i put/do to stop the rattling noise??? please help i appreciate it
EXACT same problem as me bro. I have 2 12'' Infinity Perfects running 400 watts each. It sounds rediculous outside the car, it scares me sometimes, it sounds like my cars going to burst apart. I hate it.

The latch in your trunk...there are 2 screws where the trunk locks into the trunk, somehow you can unscrew them, then screw them back in a little lower so the trunk will shut tighter. Yes the trunk wont shut w/o a good push, but it is supposed to get rid of alot of rattle. I have yet to do it tho.

There are so many things tho that the bass will rattle, (ie, windows, mirrors, doors, visors, ect) But doing what I said should make alot of the rattle stop.

I will know better how to explain all this once I actually do it.
Old 08-05-2001, 05:32 PM

The best thing that i have done to stop the noise is go to home depot and their is this stuff called Expanding foam... make sure you get the MINIMAL EXPANDING FOAM... wear protective clothing, and make sure you read all the directions... I got some on my hands and i had used sandpaper and acouple of hours to get if off of my hands... nasty stuff but it will make your trunk rattle alot less and it's not that expensive...
Old 08-05-2001, 10:17 PM

i already tried buying expanding foam and i used 1 bottle already but its to hard to use it cuz its very runny at first and it wont dry right away so it keeps on falling out of the trunk and wont stay in place the onoly way to do it is to taike the trunk off and do it with the trunk laying on a couple of towles on the ground but inorder to do that id have to unwire the spoiler and i dont wanna do that cuz there r a lot of wires id have to splice back together i also tried dynomat but its 20 bux for 2 lil sheets that dont do ****........so unless i pay like 400 dollars in dynomat it looks liek my trunk is gonna be rattling for a long time.........it really doenst botehr me(the rattling)but when i drive by it makes me look cheap........liek i can buy expensive audio stuff but i cant by **** to keep my trunk from rattling.........thank you guys so muich for your ideas and all of ur tips i appreciate it greatly, Tom
Old 08-06-2001, 05:31 PM

What I did was I stripped my whole trunk out and sprayed teh whole thing with sound damping spray. It helped a little, but I am thinking about Dynomating it also, don't know how much this will help.
Old 08-06-2001, 08:05 PM

I forgot to mention that i had origionally put dynomat extreme and then i put the expanding foam... all this will probally cost around 60 dollars... I think it is worth it... takes the rattle out and i also noticed better sound quality on the inside of my car...
Old 08-07-2001, 01:06 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

The more weight you add to your trunk panels, the less it will rattle. Heavy panels resonate much less and make a big improvemnt in sound quality. For more info you can visit my website.

http://www.cardomain.com/member_page...sweetsound2001

Anton
Old 08-07-2001, 02:22 AM

Try the carpet padding

i used the padding that goes between the carpet and floor. It adds a lot of weight but it helps. The only thing that rattles now is my license plate frame.
Old 08-07-2001, 06:09 AM

Originally posted by hockeyghst
i also tried dynomat but its 20 bux for 2 lil sheets that dont do ****
Dynamat works, but you have to use a lot of it. Like you said, it's cost prohibitive to do it correctly. Parts Express sells a product called a "sound deadening sheet" that is similar to Dynamat. It's roughly the same material, maybe not quite as pliable, and without the pretty blue logo. It also costs about 1/6th of what Dynamat does -- $18 for a 32x54" sheet (cheaper in quantity).

Look in the car audio section at www.partsexpress.com.