4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

strange noise from wheel well

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2001, 10:47 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

recently i noticed a squeaky noise coming from the wheel well on the left front of my car. in the beginning i thought it was just probably due to the new shocks and springs, but the past few days it has begun to irk me. and the noise is not the kind that once you start moving it goes away, but its continuous. now i think it might be coming from the brakes, but i cannot really tell.
does anyone have any ideas as to why this is happening? also will a wheel realignment help fix this problem? thx
Old 08-08-2001, 11:25 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

I'm having the same issue on the right front

but I'm leaning towards I may have a brake pad sticking at times. Once I brake heavily, the squeal stops. It only seems to happen in moisture too. On dry days I don't notice it at all.
Old 08-08-2001, 11:33 AM

Originally posted by mechanic
recently i noticed a squeaky noise coming from the wheel well on the left front of my car. in the beginning i thought it was just probably due to the new shocks and springs, but the past few days it has begun to irk me. and the noise is not the kind that once you start moving it goes away, but its continuous. now i think it might be coming from the brakes, but i cannot really tell.
does anyone have any ideas as to why this is happening? also will a wheel realignment help fix this problem? thx
1) Verify that all wheel lug nuts are tight.

2) Raise the car. If you have a floor jack you can raise the entire front end at once, and test both front wheel bearings. No need for jackstands, as you will not get under the car.

3) Grab the top of the tire (12 o'clock) and push away from yourself and pull toward yourself. Yank it to and fro in this fashion several times. If there is noticeable free play or an audible "clunking" sound, the wheel bearing is probably damaged.

4) Attempt to spin the wheel. If it spins freely but makes ugly sounds the bearing may be damaged. If it won't spin at all the brake may be dragging. This could indicate a sticking caliper.

5) Remove the wheel. Make a careful visual inspection of the brake and surrounding parts. See if...
- the stamped sheet metal baffle plate has been bent and is touching the rotor
- a pebble or other foreign body has become trapped and is rubbing against the rotor.