4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

ATTN:mechanics! Help! halfshaft PRoblem!!

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2001, 11:47 AM

Ok, this sucks. A friend who manages a shop informed me that I cant get a remanufactured axle halfshaft from the place he gets them from. I called autozone, and they didnt have it either. I need to replace it I believe bc I tore the axle boot about a week and a half ago. Do they make reman shafts for maxima. I have a 96 standard, no abs w locking axle if thats relevant. Someone please help, and let me know what I should do. I dont have much time bc I go back to school in about a week. Thanks
James
Old 08-14-2001, 11:58 AM

Ok on autozone online it says they have it but when I called the store they didnt have it. Question: it asks if I have "high speed differential", they guy I talked to said u can tell whether or not u do if when u turn one front wheel, if the other one turns the same way. I checked this and it does, but I still dont know if I have it. Thanks

Originally posted by JamesAvery
Ok, this sucks. A friend who manages a shop informed me that I cant get a remanufactured axle halfshaft from the place he gets them from. I called autozone, and they didnt have it either. I need to replace it I believe bc I tore the axle boot about a week and a half ago. Do they make reman shafts for maxima. I have a 96 standard, no abs w locking axle if thats relevant. Someone please help, and let me know what I should do. I dont have much time bc I go back to school in about a week. Thanks
James
Old 08-14-2001, 12:17 PM
Rit

Sounds like he's trying to figure out if

you have a LSD (limited slip differential), and you probably know that already. However, a much cheaper fix is to buy a "Quick-Boot" or "Half-Boot" replacement boots. I have used them on various cars, and I've had excellent luck with them. They cost about $20, and you don't have to remove the half shaft to install. I'm not sure if they are available for Maximas, but if so, you may want to try that route.
Old 08-14-2001, 01:11 PM
Rit

Sounds like he's trying to figure out if

you have a LSD (limited slip differential), and you probably know that already. However, a much cheaper fix is to buy a "Quick-Boot" or "Half-Boot" replacement boots. I have used them on various cars, and I've had excellent luck with them. They cost about $20, and you don't have to remove the half shaft to install. I'm not sure if they are available for Maximas, but if so, you may want to try that route.
Old 08-14-2001, 06:51 PM

Split boots

Originally posted by Rit
There are two kinds of replacement Constant Velocity joint boots: the factory style, and the supposedly easy-to-install split boot. Some shops refuse to install split boots because they aren't durable and a "come-back" kills the profit in the job.

I used a split boot only once and found it to be a hassle to install. It didn't really save much time and I won't bother with that kind again.

The labor to install a new unsplit boot is even more than replacing the axle half-shaft assembly. If your CV joint is worn you may be better off to replace the half-shaft with a rebuilt unit. That way you get two rebuilt CV joints with two new rubber boots.
Old 08-14-2001, 09:21 PM

In another thread, www.raxles.com was recommended...