4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

2002 TL Type S vs 1996 Maxima SE

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2001, 09:36 AM
TL-S

Hey guys! Nice board you have here. Thought I'd join up and post a race i had recently with a buddy of mine.

My buddy has a 1996 5-speed Maxima with a Ractive Intake, a y-pipe, and an Apexi cat back exhaust. Hes got a gutted interior also. Just a drivers seat and a dash board.

Back before i got my Type S, i had a 99 Accord V6 with afew modifications, and we would always race for the hck of it. Of course hed whoop my butt every stinkin time but it was fun. I helped him with some of his modifications and he helped me with my accord.

Well, recently i purchased a 2002 TL Type S and happened by him at my brothers apartment complex. He congratulated me on the car and asked if i wanted to race. I obliged of course. I had just turned 1200 miles on the odo, so the engine was broken in.

We lined them up and i was ready for him to hang pretty close to me if not beat me. I have no clue what my car runs, but the magazines are all saying itll run a 14.7-14.9 quarter mile.
But real world numbers, i figure itll probably run a 15.0-15.1

Well, we line them up and go on three honks. I leave him at the line and proceed to pull a way from him and have got 3 cars on him by the end. Of course im elated, but he asks to go again, with the same results.

No my question is this. Doies this guy no tknow how to drive or something? Because i was looking on the board here and alot of the same year maximas with the same mods are running mid to high 14s, plenty enough to hang with or beat my type S. Im beginning to think maybe theres something wrong with his car or maybe he just cant drive that well. What are your thoughts?

Anyways, i hope im welcome here. Cheers!

Old 08-17-2001, 10:13 AM

welcome to the BBS..
oh and nice car

a maxima with the mods you listed and gutted interior should run a 14.5-14.7 ... that is including that fact that he has a gutted interior...

i'd say the maxima should pull on you off the line because it is a 5spd and he can launch it.. if anything you should close the gap with your topend power or pull a carlength with your topend power..

Ant
Old 08-17-2001, 10:20 AM
TL-S

this is what im thinking. BUt both times we raced i beat him out of the hole and i pulled away from him. Maybe he cant drive or something. I was thinking he should be able to hang with me.

Oh well. Maybe well switch cars and ill let him drive mine and ill drive his!

What are your opinions on a race i have scheduled for after work today?

Me against a 1998 Integra GSR with intake and exhaust.

The more i think about it the more i think this guy cant drive, because back about 6 months ago, before he gutted his car, he ran my brothers GSR (intake, headers) and his GSR would end up beating the Maxima by about a car or more everytime. Hmmmm.

I tell you one thing, i hope i dont run into a new 2002 Maxima! 255hp w/5-speed. Damn, why cant Honda make a 5-speed Type S.

Old 08-17-2001, 10:27 AM

Ant, I hate to correct you, but an auto Maxima will jump hard on a 5 speed off the line(up until about 50, remember Maxus?). I would assume that the TL-S could also get the jump. The 5 speed Maxima and the 5 speed(auto) TL-S are pretty well matched. A 5 speed 2K Maxima and the CL-S ran at Maxus a few times and posted identical times.

I'm gonna now.
Old 08-17-2001, 03:28 PM

Originally posted by medicsonic
but an auto Maxima will jump hard on a 5 speed off the line(up until about 50, remember Maxus
why is this? i always thought our 5spds had the advantage off the line. i could take my friends 96 auto max off the line easily. is there something wrong with his car? btw, i have a 5spd.
Old 08-17-2001, 06:11 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Replace the max driver at once!
Old 08-17-2001, 08:14 PM

I thought 2k+2 max is pulling 260hp????

someone posted it,s pulling 255hp is that right??I mean it is a capable 3.5L and should easely pull 260hp the pathfinder and infiniti suv's both rock a nice 3.5 i just cant wait to drive a 5spd 3.5maxima ...and more so waiting till this engine becomes comon in a couple of years so can swap it into my 4gen ..wow.."nice"..well thanks .peace
Old 08-17-2001, 09:34 PM
maximaR

Re: I thought 2k+2 max is pulling 260hp????

Originally posted by broncomax
someone posted it,s pulling 255hp is that right??I mean it is a capable 3.5L and should easely pull 260hp the pathfinder and infiniti suv's both rock a nice 3.5 i just cant wait to drive a 5spd 3.5maxima ...and more so waiting till this engine becomes comon in a couple of years so can swap it into my 4gen ..wow.."nice"..well thanks .peace
i thought the new 2k2 maximas with the 3.5 had a 6 speed manual tranny .... ?

Old 08-17-2001, 10:23 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Originally posted by TL-S

I tell you one thing, i hope i dont run into a new 2002 Maxima! 255hp w/5-speed. Damn, why cant Honda make a 5-speed Type S.
Actually I heard that very soon, next year or so they might make a 5spd TL & CL Type S. We'll have to wait and see.
Old 08-17-2001, 10:26 PM

Originally posted by TL-S
this is what im thinking. BUt both times we raced i beat him out of the hole and i pulled away from him. Maybe he cant drive or something. I was thinking he should be able to hang with me.

Oh well. Maybe well switch cars and ill let him drive mine and ill drive his!

What are your opinions on a race i have scheduled for after work today?

Me against a 1998 Integra GSR with intake and exhaust.

The more i think about it the more i think this guy cant drive, because back about 6 months ago, before he gutted his car, he ran my brothers GSR (intake, headers) and his GSR would end up beating the Maxima by about a car or more everytime. Hmmmm.

I'm guessing something is wrong with his car, or he can't launch worth $hit. My friend has a CL-S and I have similar mods to your friend...and WITHOUT NOS, I pull a good 1.5 to 2 carlengths on his CL off the line EVERY time we race (he never even gets close to catching up either) I also ran 2 CL-S's at the track one night. I was running consistant 14.8s (high humidity) and the one that was stock was running consistant 15.4s while the other one that was modded (intake, headers, R/T cat, cat-back) ran consistant 15.0s to 15.1s with a VERY experienced drag car driver behind the wheel. Maybe it's my clutch....but almost no automatic has a chance against my car off the line....I even take my friends auto 98 Vette off the line by a half car....then he kicks my butt (unless I hit the juice)