4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Cone Filters / Pop Chargers

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2001, 09:41 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Are cone filters and pop chargers the same? I read on previous threads that you lose low end hp when you install one of these items, but gain top end hp.

For someone with no engine mods and a auto tranny. Do you people recommend this mod?
Old 08-17-2001, 09:59 AM

I have no other engine mods except for a cone filter, I didnt notice any loss in torque or power, but I noticed no gains in torque or power either. It just sounds awesome, I can actually hear the engine now...
Old 08-17-2001, 10:12 AM

The JWT popcgharger was the first mod I did.

There is a small loss in low end torque. But you can feel the power in high end. At least I do.

Got an automagic too.
Old 08-17-2001, 01:10 PM
Kevlo for President

Originally posted by clee130

There is a small loss in low end torque. But you can feel the power in high end. At least I do.

Got an automagic too.
coo i am bout to get intake for my automagic.
Old 08-19-2001, 09:14 PM

Pic

Originally posted by kevlo911

coo i am bout to get intake for my automagic.
The picture on your signature. What is it of?
Old 08-19-2001, 09:20 PM

To Do or Not.

Originally posted by clee130

Got an automagic too.
I'm seriously thinking about either a Stillen or JWT popcharger. One other thing. I read previous threads where Max owners have removed their popchargers. What is the reasoning for this. If it sounds as great as you say. Why remove it?
Old 08-19-2001, 09:28 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

well, I was the one a long time ago who posted a thread about why I took my JWT intake off.

Pretend you have a low-rpm torque level of 10. With the JWT, you probably get a 6. There is some loss, but nothing too bad.

I removed my JWT cone though because one of the main reasons I love my Maxima (auto) so much was for it's low end torque. When I put in the stock air box with a K&N drop in filter, it was a great experience. I could feel that "jumpiness" that the Maxima once had. (though it was a lot harder to get smoother acceleration from stop, ya know? having that big "roller-coaster-ride" feeling.)

T-One, a good alternative is to install OSCAI yourself. It would be around $20 at the most for parts, and you get the best of both worlds. You keep your low end jump, and you gain in the high end (due to the massive air being forced through the new fabricated tubing).

Search for OSCAI, I'm sure you'll be happy with it. Just be warned though, you get a little more dirt on the filter than usual...but nothing that a reoiling kit can't handle

hope that helps.
Old 08-21-2001, 07:11 AM

OSCAI

Originally posted by Turd Ferguson
well, I was the one a long time ago who posted a thread about why I took my JWT intake off.

Pretend you have a low-rpm torque level of 10. With the JWT, you probably get a 6. There is some loss, but nothing too bad.

I removed my JWT cone though because one of the main reasons I love my Maxima (auto) so much was for it's low end torque. When I put in the stock air box with a K&N drop in filter, it was a great experience. I could feel that "jumpiness" that the Maxima once had. (though it was a lot harder to get smoother acceleration from stop, ya know? having that big "roller-coaster-ride" feeling.)

T-One, a good alternative is to install OSCAI yourself. It would be around $20 at the most for parts, and you get the best of both worlds. You keep your low end jump, and you gain in the high end (due to the massive air being forced through the new fabricated tubing).

Search for OSCAI, I'm sure you'll be happy with it. Just be warned though, you get a little more dirt on the filter than usual...but nothing that a reoiling kit can't handle

hope that helps.
What is the difference between a stock filter and a OSCAI? What is OSCAI?
Old 08-21-2001, 07:57 AM

Re: To Do or Not.

Get the JWT... it does the same thing as the Stillen, but for less money.

Originally posted by T-One
I'm seriously thinking about either a Stillen or JWT popcharger. One other thing. I read previous threads where Max owners have removed their popchargers. What is the reasoning for this. If it sounds as great as you say. Why remove it?
Old 08-21-2001, 01:11 PM

I, too, went from JWT to stock K&N filter route after less than 1 year of usage. I noticed a difference in low end torque and high end hp. Stock: best for low end tq; JWT: best for high-end hp. I'm now thinking of getting an adapter that can be used for a 3" K&N cone filter and house it in a customized ram air tube to get the best of both worlds. I don't want to go with the CAI because I just can't drill that hole in the fender.
Old 08-21-2001, 01:17 PM

I just took out my JWT yesterday and put back my stock box. Car has that "kick" now. I've had the popcharger in for about a year now. For city driving, the torque loss under 3k rpm is annoying. This the especially noticeable when I accelerate out of a turn. High rpm acceleration is great with the popcharger. But as with most mods, you gain one thing, but you lose another.
Old 08-21-2001, 02:33 PM

I can see the difference about every day between the JWT and stock airbox. I have a 96 GLE that is running the stock airbox (auto) and a 97 SE (auto as well) that has a JWT in it. SE is slow off the line, GLE has alot of pickup, but in the higher rpms there's more power in the SE. Man...if I could only get my wife to race me, I want to see how much the GLE pulls compared to the SE off the line, then the difference in the high end between the two...
Old 08-21-2001, 03:24 PM
Kevlo for President

Re: Pic

The picture on your signature. What is it of?

my engine j/k

it is a skyline engine
Old 08-21-2001, 03:28 PM

Re: Re: Pic

my engine j/k

it is a skyline engine
On an other thread, someone asked about swapping their engine with a skyline. This person was told, it couldn't be done (because of rear wheel drive). How did you accomplish this?
Old 08-21-2001, 03:39 PM
Kevlo for President

Re: Re: Re: Pic

On an other thread, someone asked about swapping their engine with a skyline. This person was told, it couldn't be done (because of rear wheel drive). How did you accomplish this?

J/K = just kidding

i am stock i have no skyline engine
i just thought they skyline engine looks good. plus the skyline is my favorite car in the whole world
Old 08-21-2001, 03:42 PM

Re: Re: Pic

my engine j/k

it is a skyline engine
Sexima is the one asking about installing a skyline.
Old 08-21-2001, 03:48 PM

I have the Ractive Heat Shield filter. I don't know about the rest, I love it. Not to load, noticed the power difference, and it sounds great at WOT. Just my 2. And it all cost wallet crushing $28 including shipping.

K