4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Should I jump on this deal or keep shopping

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2001, 08:13 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

OK guys here goes

The only thing I want on my purchase for a Max is a power roof. Went to a local Nissan dealer (Quirk) in Braintree just to look. Salesman seemed pretty cool (but you could tell he wanted to put me to commit to purchase that night). Anyways saw a Silver '98 GXE with 89k. Sticker was for 13.9k said he'd work a deal for 12.6K. Saw a black SE '98 sticker for 19.4k deal for 17.6k, don't know the mileage. Since I owe on my trade-in ('97 Alty) I'm not feelin paying 21k for a car that's almost 4 years old despite knowing how Maximas keep their value. With the GXE however i have a couple problems 1) I drive to work every day so it would have 100K in less than a year 2) It will cost more than a grand to add in the roof. I'll probably end up getting a GXE without a roof (seems like I can't find a '97-99' with it) They had a couple more GXE's sticker for 14.9K I guess I'll take a better look at those.

What do y'all think?? Wait till' the end of the year period, or take a look at other GXE's now?? I think I know what I want to do, but I'd appreciate feedback
Old 08-23-2001, 08:20 AM
Minister of Silly Walks

Don't buy a Maxima, they all suck.
Old 08-23-2001, 12:52 PM

add the roof

hi altimax. i don't know if this is a fair example, but i'd make 'em put the roof in for free. my wife and i went car shopping last month and she found a 98 altima she liked, but it too had no roof. we got the dealer down to a good price and then she played hardball with them. she told the dealer she had looked at a 2000 hundai sonata earlier that week (true)with lower miles, a longer warranty, and a roof - all for a little cheaper than their altima. she asked for a free moonroof and they said no... we walked away from the sale. the next day the dealer called back and said yes to a free roof but gave us a crappy interest rate. my wife then shopped the internet for a better loan & we got the car. moral of the story - make 'em put the roof in - it costs the dealer less than $600 (at least an altima one), so don't let them bs you.
good luck.
maury
Originally posted by AltiMAX
OK guys here goes

The only thing I want on my purchase for a Max is a power roof. Went to a local Nissan dealer (Quirk) in Braintree just to look. Salesman seemed pretty cool (but you could tell he wanted to put me to commit to purchase that night). Anyways saw a Silver '98 GXE with 89k. Sticker was for 13.9k said he'd work a deal for 12.6K. Saw a black SE '98 sticker for 19.4k deal for 17.6k, don't know the mileage. Since I owe on my trade-in ('97 Alty) I'm not feelin paying 21k for a car that's almost 4 years old despite knowing how Maximas keep their value. With the GXE however i have a couple problems 1) I drive to work every day so it would have 100K in less than a year 2) It will cost more than a grand to add in the roof. I'll probably end up getting a GXE without a roof (seems like I can't find a '97-99' with it) They had a couple more GXE's sticker for 14.9K I guess I'll take a better look at those.

What do y'all think?? Wait till' the end of the year period, or take a look at other GXE's now?? I think I know what I want to do, but I'd appreciate feedback
Old 08-23-2001, 01:10 PM

Re: add the roof

Originally posted by Maury
hi altimax. i don't know if this is a fair example, but i'd make 'em put the roof in for free. my wife and i went car shopping last month and she found a 98 altima she liked, but it too had no roof. we got the dealer down to a good price and then she played hardball with them. she told the dealer she had looked at a 2000 hundai sonata earlier that week (true)with lower miles, a longer warranty, and a roof - all for a little cheaper than their altima. she asked for a free moonroof and they said no... we walked away from the sale. the next day the dealer called back and said yes to a free roof but gave us a crappy interest rate. my wife then shopped the internet for a better loan & we got the car. moral of the story - make 'em put the roof in - it costs the dealer less than $600 (at least an altima one), so don't let them bs you.
good luck.
maury

i dont know much but i think even 12.6 is too much for the gxe. it has too many miles on it to be that much. i dont understand your obsession with moonroof. most ppl dont use it and the ones that do end up having prob with it and spending mad loot on it. either way, if you still want it so bad i dont think you can beat maury's advice. good luck.
Old 08-23-2001, 04:54 PM

too expensive pass on it, u could get a gxe a lot cheaper keep looking.
Old 08-23-2001, 05:24 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Re: Re: add the roof

Originally posted by riggy

most ppl dont use it and the ones that do end up having prob with it and spending mad loot on it.
True. Have the time, I forget it's there. Typically it is always covered except in the winter--and i almost never open it to let air mess up my hair. Cuts down drastically on headroom--see recent thread on that. It's probably the least important option there is (to me) and were it not there, i would not consider it a problem.
Old 08-23-2001, 05:43 PM
...needs to please stop post whoring.

Re: Re: Re: add the roof

You should be paying 12-13 tops for a GXE with that many miles.......You can probably get a brand new 2001 GXE for 17K!!!!!!!!!!!!! Don't get ripped off. Dealerships make a killing on used cars vs. new ones.
Old 08-23-2001, 05:46 PM

Re: Re: Re: add the roof

i dont know but i got my 96 se leather/fully loaded....with moonroof and all....it had 52,000 miles and great shape...especially the leather looked brand new....they asked 14,000 i got it for 13,000