4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Steering rack bushings gone bad

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2001, 03:08 AM

When on the highway, my car is all over the place. So i take her in for an alignment. A little later the alignment guy comes out and say that he can't do the alignment properly cause the steering rack bushings are worn out and need replacing. Also that I have minimal play on the right inner tie rod. What exactly does that mean? He told me to take it to a dealer or some shop I trust, and to try and use polyuerathane bushings. Anybody know where I can get some? Suggestions

Lovejoy
Old 08-29-2001, 07:12 AM

Originally posted by Lovejoy
... the steering rack bushings are worn out and need replacing. Also that I have minimal play on the right inner tie rod. What exactly does that mean? ...
The steering rack bushings are rubber bushings which are situated between the Rack and Pinion steering unit and the clamps which secure it to the vehicle. Nissan calls these bushings "Rack mounting insulator". There are two of them. These bushings may be damaged by age, heat, ozone, oil, or crash damage. For further information please see the Haynes repair manual, page 10-15.

The R&P assembly has two tie rods, one on the left (driver's) side and one on the right (passenger's) side. Each tie rod has two ends. The outer end connects to the steering knuckle. The inner ends connect to the rack. The outer tie rod ends are easy to see but the inner tie rod ends are covered and protected by a rubber boot. Mimimal means "small in amount or degree" so minimal play is nothing to worry about.
Old 08-29-2001, 07:22 AM

Originally posted by Daniel B. Martin
The steering rack bushings are rubber bushings which are situated between the Rack and Pinion steering unit and the clamps which secure it to the vehicle. Nissan calls these bushings "Rack mounting insulator". There are two of them. These bushings may be damaged by age, heat, ozone, oil, or crash damage. For further information please see the Haynes repair manual, page 10-15.
Thanks for the info! As far as replceing them, should I go OEM or look for polyeurethane bushings? Would worn bushing cause vibration at speed similar to an unbalanced wheel?

Lovejoy
Old 08-29-2001, 08:06 AM

Originally posted by Lovejoy
Thanks for the info! As far as replceing them, should I go OEM or look for polyeurethane bushings? Would worn bushing cause vibration at speed similar to an unbalanced wheel?

Lovejoy
I have no experience with the aftermarket bushings, and cannot advise on that point.

Really loose bushings could cause vibration but I think it would be different than an unbalanced wheel. In general the vibration from an unbalanced wheel increases in direct proportion to vehicle speed and is felt by the passenger as well as the driver. The vibration from worn steering and suspension parts tends to be most pronounced at one particular vehicle speed and is felt only by the driver as a jiggle in the steering wheel.