4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

painting brake calipers

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2001, 05:22 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

anyone have any instructions on how to do this? how long does it take? what kind of paint should i use? and what color should i paint them i have a black max.
Old 08-29-2001, 05:30 PM
i SeE what you did therE

Originally posted by 96MAXIMAGXE
anyone have any instructions on how to do this? how long does it take? what kind of paint should i use? and what color should i paint them i have a black max.

i can tell you.. i will type it out later and send it via e-mail to you...
Old 08-29-2001, 05:30 PM

Just tape up the rotors and some of the wheel well if you want. Use HIGH HEAT paint. I used engine enamel. I would probably paint them red or blue on a black car.
Old 08-29-2001, 05:44 PM

redmax

Originally posted by redmaxpa007

i can tell you.. i will type it out later and send it via e-mail to you...
Can you send it to me as well at rileymcintosh@hotmail.com?
Thanks.
Old 08-29-2001, 05:51 PM
i SeE what you did therE

Re: redmax

Originally posted by SC99MaxSELmtd

Can you send it to me as well at rileymcintosh@hotmail.com?
Thanks.
yeppers..
Old 08-29-2001, 06:08 PM
All YOUR grammer belong to me

Re: Re: redmax

yeppers..
Me too dude if you get this.

Thanks
Old 08-29-2001, 06:13 PM
i SeE what you did therE

Re: Re: Re: redmax

Originally posted by Craig Mack

Thanks

ok..
no prob...
Old 08-29-2001, 07:42 PM

Re: Re: Re: redmax

Originally posted by Craig Mack

Thanks
could you send me a copy too please

redjamin@aol.com

Thanks
Old 08-29-2001, 09:09 PM

Re: Re: Re: Re: redmax

Originally posted by Maxima Shine

could you send me a copy too please

redjamin@aol.com

Thanks
oooh oooh me 3! j/k why dont u post it here and then you wont have to send so many mails, do the calipers in red bc red is the best color of maximas
Old 08-29-2001, 09:25 PM

add me to the list too please. OrionXx64@yahoo.com
Old 08-29-2001, 09:31 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

I'll try it. I've done it, and I colored the calipers aluminum. Sounds boring eh? but it really shines now, and it's pure bright silver, and it looks really, really good. And it looks like an expensive stock car.

Anyway, use lots of masking tape. Masking tape is your friend. Mask off the wheel wells (if you're not careful with spraying..hehe) with newspaper, and also use newspaper to cover up the rotors and hub. With some skill, you can slide a piece of newspaper right under the brake pad (that's what I did.) Then use masking tape and cover all non-metal calipers parts. Rubber boots, brake lines. It just takes a little look-see to find out what you need to cover. Common sense. Be sure to stuff a piece of newspaper inside the caliper's hole (where you can see the cross-section of the brake pad). Anyway, double, even triple check your masking job (I was hesitiant with this mod at first) and spray away. Be sure to use Hi-temp engine enamel spray. Spray on a thin layer. Let it dry for a few minutes. Spray it on again, and again, and again. LOL. I have about 5 layers I think.

Anyway, I took a little brake between each coat, just to be sure that the paint will last as long as possible.

Sorry for the quick write-up. My biggest tip though: USE THE SEARCH FUNCTION! IT ACTAULLY WORKS THIS TIME
Old 08-30-2001, 12:16 AM

or else spray some off the paint into a dish and use a brush to paint the color on nice and evenly
Old 08-30-2001, 12:36 AM

i have a silver car, what color should I paint mine? i was thinkin silver or blue...
Old 08-30-2001, 01:31 AM

SILVER! It would look totally PERFECT (clean, classy, stylish, matching, etc ) with an I30. Just my opinion
Old 08-30-2001, 04:23 AM

i need opinions on what color calipers for a streling mist maxima.....

thanks,

dfwmax
Old 08-30-2001, 04:28 AM
Former Sponsor

Red Blue Black Silver Yellow

there is a huuuge thread on this... selling foliatec paint.... SEARCH
Old 08-30-2001, 06:18 AM

I have a "Neptune Blue" Max.
I painted my calipers black.
I have some anthracite wheels coming in October
and wanted a "Dark" look overall.

Also, if you paint your calipers a light color the brake dust will show more easily.

I think painting them red makes too big a deal out of them
and takes attention away from your wheels.
"HEY - LOOK AT MY CALIPERS!"
[One exception - if you have a red car]

IMPORTANT:
One step left out of the directions -
Clean all the surfaces you're going to paint first with brake cleaner spray and a toothbrush [just remember not to use it on your teeth after ]. I also used a drill with a wire brush, but I don't think you need to do that.

It's an easy mod all it takes is a little time - and most of that is waiting for the paint to dry between coats.
But be patient - make sure it's dry before you put on the next coat. And light coats are better than heavy. [but you already knew that].

When it's time for new rotors, I think I'll paint the center [the part that the pads don't touch and that ends up getting all rusty...] black as well.
Old 08-30-2001, 06:46 AM
i SeE what you did therE

well, turd more or less explained the process..

1) Purchase can of brake cleaner and paint color of choice. Any high temp spray paint will work.
2) Loosen up lug nuts and jack up car and place on jack stands. The higher the better (within reason make sure everything is stable).

3) remove wheel, and "mask off the painted area" Use towels to cover up the fender, doors and any painted surface in the area. We are trying to prevent any mist getting into contact with painted surfaces.

4) With a bowl underneath the caliper assembly use the spray brake cleaner and a toothbrush and scrub. Remember to use eye protection because stuff flys everywhere. When you think you are done scrubbing, scrub some more. The key here is that it HAS to be grease/dirt free. Any little bit and you will notice immediately!

5) Let the cleaner dry and make sure you have no "puddles" sitting anywhere on the caliper. Should not take long at all.

6) I did not remove my calipers so I just masked stuff off.
-> On the rear, mask the whole parking brake assembly. Its a spring thing. You will know when you see it.
-> ALL rubber parts. There are two distinct rubber parts at the caliper squeeze point. Tape 'em up.
-> Bleeder valve. I taped this up for caution sake.
-> Don't have to but I taped up the rotor. When paint gets on the rotor, it suck to get it off and causes unusual braking (read: you might not stop in the same distance as before) until the paint wears off. My recommendation, cover it up. I used Kentucky Chrome (Duct) tape and newspaper to cover my stuff up.

7) Shake the **** out of the paint can. Make sure it is good an mixed up. Again shake some more.

8) Use very light coats and try to keep uniform. Spray about 4-8 inches away from assembly. I sprayed kinda close because the wind would kick up anytime I pressed the nozzle. I put 5 coats on my calipers to get the color and depth that I liked. Let it dry fairly well between coats. As expected humidity and temperature will affect drying time.

9) let it dry so it is not tacky to the touch and you can put your rims back on. Be careful not to bump the rim into the caliper or you have to do touchup work, which shows.

I let mine dry overnight before driving. You will smell something funny after braking if you have overspray on your rotors.

i took that from some one when i did a search..

that explains it..

and saves me from typing..
Old 08-30-2001, 08:16 AM

I painted my calipers silver. Looks very nice with black car. Oh and I used a brush-on kit, not spray. You don't need to cover up or tape anything in order to avoid over spray.
I used a FoliaTec caliper paint kit that I got from Nathan a while ago.
Old 08-30-2001, 04:01 PM

Sterling Mist = RED

Originally posted by DFWmax
i need opinions on what color calipers for a streling mist maxima.....

thanks,

dfwmax
I am planning to paint my calipers red. I think they will look great.

To everyone, I have heard that you need to wait befor you drive your car to make sure that they are completely dry. I have heard to wait for about 10-16 hours to be completely sure.
Old 08-31-2001, 07:58 AM

Personally, I think silver calipers would look sharp on a sterling mist car, but if you like red, then go for it.

Rant:
It really p isses me off when somebody slams somebody else for a purely subjective mod.
You like it, fine, do what you want.
You don't like altezzas or whatever, well then, you don't have to put them on your car.
But that doesn't give you the right to insult somebody who has them.
OK, enough venting...

I don't know about waiting before driving.
Any heat generated will only dry the paint faster.
Well, maybe you shouldn't paint them and go for a drive a minute later, but 16 hours...?

I think the spray paint is easier to use and provides a more even coat [and no brushes to clean up either].
Masking off of the other parts took hardly any time at all.
I used newspaper and tape and didn't even bother to cover any body panels.
I got some brake caliper paint - VHT brand I think it was - from a local speedshop.
Pretty inexpensive, under $10.
Old 09-01-2001, 12:40 AM

painting brake calipers

you dont need that foliac paint.all you need is engine enamel its like 3$ per can all you really need is one can(thats all i used) but i bought two and a can of clear coat.

brushing the calipers with a wire brush attached to a cordless drill works really well if you have one.then you can use soap and water to clean after wire brushing them.its very important to clean as much brake dust as possible or the paint will not stick well, then you'll have to sit there and keep spraying over one spot cause the paint wont stick.

masking tape and plastic bags work good you dont need to mask of the entire wheel well unless you are handycapped

i sprayes 3 coates then two coates of clear coat to make it shiney.i have a black max i used light blue paint to match the light bulbs looks sweet.this is a very easy and cheap mod cost me 9$ you dont need that 30$ or 40$ paint.and for nine bucks you cant beat the satisfaction enjoy the ride!
Old 09-02-2001, 01:09 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

thanks you guys for all the info i`m going to attempt to do this tomm. on labor day, nothing better to do. anyway i`ll keep you guys posted if i run into any problems.
Old 09-03-2001, 07:43 AM

brake calipers

thanks you guys for all the info i`m going to attempt to do this tomm. on labor day, nothing better to do. anyway i`ll keep you guys posted if i run into any problems.

you shouldnt have any problems its really easy.as far as the paint drying i used engine enamel it dries in 5 min or so.my calipers were also a little warm so that speeded up the drying process.just clean then well you'll be fine..
Old 09-04-2001, 04:44 AM

thanks everyone for the color suggestions for a sterling mist maxima. i think i am going to go with red.

dfwmax
Old 10-10-2001, 10:39 PM

well i might try this tomorrow. about how long do you think this will take? what kind of cleaner do you youse on the brakes? i bought spray paint but I think im just going to use a brush.
Old 10-11-2001, 05:00 AM

Originally posted by black019
well i might try this tomorrow. about how long do you think this will take? what kind of cleaner do you youse on the brakes? i bought spray paint but I think im just going to use a brush.
It doesn't take all that long...

Remove the wheel - 5 minutes or less

Clean the caliper [use brake cleaning fluid. This is highly toxic, don't inhale fumes and try not to let any get on the ground] I used a wire brush on a cordless drill which made it go much faster. I used the wire brush first, then a toothbrush for the tight areas, then the cleaner. - maybe 15 minutes, depends on how dirty it is.

Mask off the area [I used newspaper] - less than 10 minutes.

Paint - [make sure the cleaner is completely dry and that there's no grease or dirt left] - less than 10 minutes.

Let paint dry - 20 minutes?

I put on 3 coats.
Read the directions on your paint can.
I think mine said over 70 degrees.
Where I live, it's too cold now.
Old 10-11-2001, 05:24 AM

Andy, when you painted the calipers did you take them off, or just paint with everything still assembled?? I'm looking for that kit soon, because the spray is too much of PITA.
Old 10-11-2001, 05:30 AM

Originally posted by Lime
Andy, when you painted the calipers did you take them off, or just paint with everything still assembled?? I'm looking for that kit soon, because the spray is too much of PITA.
Yeah, I know, I'm not Andy...

anyway
I'd say the spray is much easier than the brush method. It goes on smooth and even and there's no clean-up.
I left the calipers on [also easier]
and just slipped a piece of newspaper under the outer pad to protect the rotor and put a little more paper where I thought the paint might get.
I didn't even bother masking the fender - it wasn't a windy day and you're basically working insdie the wheel well.
Old 10-11-2001, 05:44 AM

hehe okay...I have the high temp spray...net time I'm down there....
Old 10-11-2001, 05:47 AM

Originally posted by Lime
Hey, no I didn't take the calipers off, just painted with everything on. I'm telling you I still have half the can left, you can have it if you want, I'll give you the brushes too. Just let me know next time we meet, I gotta check maybe it dried out already
Old 10-11-2001, 09:35 AM

Originally posted by fast97maxse

It doesn't take all that long...

Remove the wheel - 5 minutes or less

Clean the caliper [use brake cleaning fluid. This is highly toxic, don't inhale fumes and try not to let any get on the ground] I used a wire brush on a cordless drill which made it go much faster. I used the wire brush first, then a toothbrush for the tight areas, then the cleaner. - maybe 15 minutes, depends on how dirty it is.

Mask off the area [I used newspaper] - less than 10 minutes.

Paint - [make sure the cleaner is completely dry and that there's no grease or dirt left] - less than 10 minutes.

Let paint dry - 20 minutes?

I put on 3 coats.
Read the directions on your paint can.
I think mine said over 70 degrees.
Where I live, it's too cold now.
thanks a lot! Im gonna go get started
Old 10-11-2001, 10:09 AM

Re: Re: redmax

yeppers..
Yeah if you could please send it my way to. Thanks

Krash513@yahoo.com
Old 10-11-2001, 06:50 PM
KCTYPHOON

ok.. well ill give ya my instructions if anyone is intrested in a simple way to do this.. i have a black gle, painted them black with caliper paint from pep boys. all i did was take off the rim, hit the caliper with a wire brush real fast, spray everything with brake cleaner, and painted away. i made no attempt to tape anything up. i painted the entire caliper and rotor with like 3 coats and just put the rim back on and drove. this way, the caliper was painted, along with every part of the rotor that doesnt come in contact with the pad. especially that annoying rusty ring on the bottom of the rotor. looks really clean, paint comes off after a few miles, and yes your car will still stop..