4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Clear corner questions

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2001, 08:19 AM

This may sound real stupid..but here goes....
The cornering lights next to the head lights...are these
available in crystal clear versions...I don't believe
I have ever seen these on any Maxima's and I was wondering
why ....

Thx
Old 08-31-2001, 08:58 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

there are no "aftermarket" clear corners because essentially they are clear.. when in fact most of us know that there is a yellow film that factory puts in there to make them less bright, well if you search around there are posts on how to "rewire" the light to be brighter but i have the simple solution for you if you want bright corners:

Just to inform you the dual filament bulb in that lense only using the 8W filament and not the 27W one ever.. but it is entirely wired to.. Nissan just doesnt have it like that-

Remove the Corner lense (screw on top of the headlight connects to the corner lense, and then you need a screwdriver to pry the lense out, there is a clip it sits in.. just pry from all angles and put a towel under the screwdriver so as not to break or scratch anything)

Once removed pull the bulb out and look at the side of the bulb (there should be one metal nub that sits higher than the other on the metallic part)

With a set of needlenose pliers or scissors CUT OFF the one that sits higher on the bulb itself

Now, place the bulb BACK into the lense housing backwards (what I mean by backwards is the high nub would have gone into the slot and you push down and twist.. now you reverse and put the lower nub in there and twist)

Repeat on the other side and enjoy your bulbs!!
Old 08-31-2001, 09:20 AM

Originally posted by thebigsadler
there are no "aftermarket" clear corners because essentially they are clear.. when in fact most of us know that there is a yellow film that factory puts in there to make them less bright, well if you search around there are posts on how to "rewire" the light to be brighter but i have the simple solution for you if you want bright corners:

Just to inform you the dual filament bulb in that lense only using the 8W filament and not the 27W one ever.. but it is entirely wired to.. Nissan just doesnt have it like that-
hey thanks...I did the rewire a few years ago...can't believe no one makes these for the 4th gen Maxima...
no crystal clear corning lights for a MAXIMA ?????

Remove the Corner lense (screw on top of the headlight connects to the corner lense, and then you need a screwdriver to pry the lense out, there is a clip it sits in.. just pry from all angles and put a towel under the screwdriver so as not to break or scratch anything)

Once removed pull the bulb out and look at the side of the bulb (there should be one metal nub that sits higher than the other on the metallic part)

With a set of needlenose pliers or scissors CUT OFF the one that sits higher on the bulb itself

Now, place the bulb BACK into the lense housing backwards (what I mean by backwards is the high nub would have gone into the slot and you push down and twist.. now you reverse and put the lower nub in there and twist)

Old 09-02-2001, 10:01 AM

Question

Originally posted by thebigsadler

Do you remove the entire light fixture or just the clear plastice lense? Thanks
Old 09-02-2001, 10:14 AM

The whole fixture comes out, then take the bulb out through the back.
Old 09-02-2001, 10:40 AM

I finally got it. this trick works great. Do they make blue bulbs for this light? can I color them blue with a marker?
any advise?
Old 09-02-2001, 11:19 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

they make any color your heart desires i am sure.. go to jcwhitney.com or something like that or a local car shop.. sometimes stereo shops have the bulbs i am pretty sure its the 168 bulb.. i dont know exactly
Old 09-05-2003, 06:34 PM

Originally Posted by thebigsadler

Hi, i did this method of brightening my cornering lamps with polarg 1157 M-14 21/5W bulbs and clipping the higher nub. my first impression was woaw it is so bright it is scary. after going for a test drive for about an hour, i came home and felt the lamp housing with my hands and it felt rather HOT.
my concerns are: is there a chance of burning out my wiring harness running these bulbs at a higher wattage, and/or melting or discoloring the lamp housing itself with the heat that is being radiated by the bulb.
any feedback or member experiences would be greatly appreciated.

PS. the removal of the cornering lamp is not as hard as many people seem to think. the ball and socket joint that holds the lamp in place is very accesible and easy to pry with a flat head screw driver. a little WD-40 makes it all the easier.
Old 09-05-2003, 09:09 PM

I did not nub chop about 4 months ago and i noticed a little increase in heat but nothing compared to the head light... i let it go and its been 4 months and everything looks AOK and they look fantastic.

I dont know if this changes anything but i put the blue bulbs in to better match the headlights... (maybe they run a little coller???)

hope this helps
Old 09-06-2003, 12:30 AM

2+ years with no problems here.

Before you start running funny colored bulbs (especially blue and red), I'd check local and state laws. Most states have laws against it. Here in Louisiana, cops are the only people allowed to run blue lights period (not even fire and EMS can run blue, they must run red). To me, it's just asking for a ticket, so I wrote quite a few for off color lights.

Dave
Old 09-06-2003, 04:36 PM
Banned

Can I use those LED bulbs with this method?
Old 09-06-2003, 06:01 PM

i hear the LED bulbs don't give out a good light pattern like a light bulb.. they are more like a spot light. it looks like a dot of light inside your lamp housing.. but then again don't quote me.. that's what i've heard.