4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

2001 Eclipse GT Spyder - killed, and an RX7 too

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-2001, 02:33 AM

About 3 hours ago I raced a GT eclipse. We started at a stop light that had the cross walk at an angle like \ and he was in the left lane, I was in the right. We were not nose to nose, he had a slight advantage(about 2-3 feet). The light goes green...I hit 30 mph, he is 3/4 car length behind me...we hit 60, he is 3 car lengths behind me...we hit 80 mph, he is 4 1/2 car lenghts back. We pulled over and talked a little. He has 17" rims and blamed some of his slow acceleration on that. To that I replied that my car weighs more. He was an automatic like me and was very impressed with the car. As we were talking a guy with an early 90's RX7 overhears us talking about racing and challenges me. He wouldnt tell me anything about his car, but he had dual exhaust so Im guessing turbo? He wanted to do a rolling start because he felt like it would be a waste of time to race me from a stop since the Max weighs more. We get onto the highway and start at 30 mph. He gets the drop on me as we counted from 3 to 1 because he was a stick and my d*mn auto didnt downshift instantly like he did. He had me until about 45 mph where I passed him...at 70 mph he was 3 car lengths back. We pulled over and he wanted to race from a stop. We go back to the stoplight from earlier and start even this time. He had me until about 30 mph...then it was bye bye RX7, at 60 mph he was 3 1/2-4 car lengths back and turned off the street. When will people learn that the Maxima is not to be messed with?

Kirk

P.S. Sorry it was such a long post.
Old 09-03-2001, 02:54 AM
ybelm620

YEA

you are so correct. Many people after seeing wow is this guy a good driver or is his max really that fast, thats the reaction when people in the street see me in my car, but the point is that its a sleeper to many people, and when they get burned or see that i am tailgating them at 100mph lol (THATS CRAZY) they are shocked.

Any way keep up the good work and lets keep modding and showing poeple wrong.

Old 09-03-2001, 06:16 AM
Minister of Silly Walks

Originally posted by 1/3There2/3ToGo
We get onto the highway and start at 30 mph. He gets the drop on me as we counted from 3 to 1 because he was a stick and my d*mn auto didnt downshift instantly like he did. He had me until about 45 mph where I passed him...

Next time, leave the tranny in "1" if your are going to start from 30mph or less, that way you will hold first gear for a good jump. But, remember you have to shift almost immediately to "2" or "D" or you'll hit the rev limiter and they will leave you behind...I used to always forget to shift....dammmit...
Old 09-03-2001, 06:32 AM

I heard putting it in reverse after 1st is the correct procedure if you are racing sports cars, I read it on the org. Is this correct?
Old 09-03-2001, 06:52 AM
Kevlo for President

Originally posted by medicsonic
I heard putting it in reverse after 1st is the correct procedure if you are racing sports cars, I read it on the org. Is this correct?
i don't see how it would help?
Old 09-03-2001, 07:07 AM
Minister of Silly Walks

Oh damn, I forgot about that. You're right. I feel bad about spreading dis-information. I'm gonna go shoot myself...

...in the elbow.
Old 09-03-2001, 07:11 AM

Me either, but I read it on the org, so it must be true.
Old 09-03-2001, 08:41 AM

Good job man, I love showing people what Max's can do, everyone always underestimates them, and then all they see is the taillights.
Old 09-03-2001, 10:26 AM
hjerrod

automatic Eclipse GT's are sluggish. they should have kept the turbo engine. I hate the new V6 they have in them.

Old 09-03-2001, 11:36 AM

u didnt know rx7s came turbo.....and ur talking about other ppl not knowing about the maxima...whoa..

btw RX-7s KILL maximas..
Old 09-03-2001, 12:20 PM
SLOW

The automatic eclipse and automatic maxima have a weight difference of about 40 lbs, maxima being the heavier one... so that wasn't really a factor. Your car is just plain faster than his.
Old 09-03-2001, 12:40 PM
Minister of Silly Walks

Originally posted by buss95max
u didnt know rx7s came turbo.....and ur talking about other ppl not knowing about the maxima...whoa..

btw RX-7s KILL maximas..

Not all RX7s kill Maximas. An older NON-turbo one would have to fight for it.
Old 09-03-2001, 01:09 PM

the 2nd gen RX7 NAs & single T came with dual exhausts. If it had a hood scoop, it was the turbo. If not, the NA. The NA runs low 16s so it's nothing a Maxima can't handle.
Old 09-04-2001, 01:16 AM

Originally posted by got rice?
the 2nd gen RX7 NAs & single T came with dual exhausts. If it had a hood scoop, it was the turbo. If not, the NA. The NA runs low 16s so it's nothing a Maxima can't handle.
Didnt notice a hood scoop, but wasnt looking for it either. His ride was black and we raced late at night. I would have to say that he was NA and not turbo from your post. Oh well, its still an RX7 that got killed.

Kirk
Old 09-04-2001, 01:22 AM

btw RX-7s KILL maximas..
I did know that they came with turbos. Did you know that some of them didnt? That was my question, since it had dual exhaust I didnt know if it was a turbo or not. Thanks for the usefull info, it really helped me answer my question.

Kirk

BTW, Obviously not all RX7's kill maximas.
Old 09-04-2001, 09:43 AM

I did know that they came with turbos. Did you know that some of them didnt? That was my question, since it had dual exhaust I didnt know if it was a turbo or not. Thanks for the usefull info, it really helped me answer my question.

Kirk

BTW, Obviously not all RX7's kill maximas.
every rx7 ive raced has been turbo'ed..yes i know there are some nonturbo'ed ones...anyway what do i know? i obviously dont run 14.8 corrected in an automagic...
Old 09-04-2001, 09:49 AM
Minister of Silly Walks

every rx7 ive raced has been turbo'ed..yes i know there are some nonturbo'ed ones...anyway what do i know? i obviously dont run 14.8 corrected in an automagic...

Hmmm, neither do I...

...I'll bet anyone anything that Kirk's car wont run 14.8 right now...
Old 09-04-2001, 09:57 AM

Originally posted by mzmtg

Hmmm, neither do I...

...I'll bet anyone anything that Kirk's car wont run 14.8 right now...
Ahhhh, yes. The infamous mzmtg. On the 15th or 16th my Supercharger will be installed. Then I will run a 13.8 at 5500 feet, uncorrected. I run a 16.6 at 5500 feet. Corrected for sea level at optimum conditions. If you want a like to the website I used just ask. If not, shut your @$$ up. If you dont like that I have it in my sig that is your problem. I will not remove it until I do a run with the SC. Then it will be replaced with an uncorrrected time. Will that make you happy? As though I care.

Kirk
Old 09-04-2001, 10:12 AM

Upcomming mods: Blitz V2 blow off valve, ECU upgrade, VB upgrade, Transmission cooler, 75 shot of NOS, OEM fog lights, 5-speed(maybe 6-speed) conversion.

DUDE, ARE YOU FOR REAL??!!!!!!
vb upgrade and 5spd or 6spd..
i'll never doubt what you say again...
Old 09-04-2001, 10:23 AM

Upcomming mods: Blitz V2 blow off valve, ECU upgrade, VB upgrade, Transmission cooler, 75 shot of NOS, OEM fog lights, 5-speed(maybe 6-speed) conversion.

DUDE, ARE YOU FOR REAL??!!!!!!
vb upgrade and 5spd or 6spd..
i'll never doubt what you say again...
Yes, I am for real. The VB upgrade is already paid for, this friday I will remove it, overnight it to Don in texas, he will do the mod next week and overnight it back so that I can re-install it on next friday. Then on saturday or sunday following I will have my SC installed. The 6 speed tranny upgrade is still a little while off, Im still researching all the pros and cons of it and trying to find a 6 speed that I like the ratios of. I also need to add to the "Upcomming mods" part of my sig that I will rebuild my engine next summer so that it will hold insane boost(up to 15 lbs) and a 150 shot of NO2. Im glad you wont doubt me, I never lie.

Kirk
Old 09-04-2001, 11:06 AM
Minister of Silly Walks

Yes, I am for real. The VB upgrade is already paid for, this friday I will remove it, overnight it to Don in texas, he will do the mod next week and overnight it back so that I can re-install it on next friday. Then on saturday or sunday following I will have my SC installed. The 6 speed tranny upgrade is still a little while off, Im still researching all the pros and cons of it and trying to find a 6 speed that I like the ratios of. I also need to add to the "Upcomming mods" part of my sig that I will rebuild my engine next summer so that it will hold insane boost(up to 15 lbs) and a 150 shot of NO2. Im glad you wont doubt me, I never lie.

Kirk

Which 6spd trannys have you been looking at? What criteria are you using to judge the ratios? There are exactly zero existing 6spd trannys on the market that will fit in our cars.

What do you plan to do to beef up your engine and whatever tranny you may have to handle 15lbs of boost and a 150 shot of NOS?

Since, you have this planned out, please bore us with the details.
Old 09-04-2001, 11:12 AM

Na... dumb question

Originally posted by got rice?
I have been trying to figure out for a little bit what the NA stands for. I have seen it around and had a few guesses but can someone give me the right answer? Thanks

SuDZ
Old 09-04-2001, 11:15 AM
Minister of Silly Walks

Re: Na... dumb question

Originally posted by SuDZ

I have been trying to figure out for a little bit what the NA stands for. I have seen it around and had a few guesses but can someone give me the right answer? Thanks

SuDZ
NA = naturally aspirated. It means no turbos, S/C, or NOS or any other kind of forced induction. Also called "all motor."
Old 09-04-2001, 01:11 PM

Which 6spd trannys have you been looking at? What criteria are you using to judge the ratios? There are exactly zero existing 6spd trannys on the market that will fit in our cars.

What do you plan to do to beef up your engine and whatever tranny you may have to handle 15lbs of boost and a 150 shot of NOS?

Since, you have this planned out, please bore us with the details.
You are funny. I get a laugh everytime I see that you have replied to one of my posts. I take pride in the fact that no matter what my opinion is on a topic you will play the devils advocate just for me. Thanks

As for your post: I told my cousin who is heavy into the aftermarket mods for hondas to see if he can find a 6-speed tranny for me that would work, he has as of yet only told me that he cant find one with the correct gear ratios to run in it, so, this time anyway, you are correct that there do not appear to be any for our max's. But he has not looked everywhere he can and he is still optimistic that he will find one for me. As for rebuilding the engine and tranny to hold 15 lbs of boost(as a maximum, dont plan to run that yet) and a 150 shot of NO2(not necessairly NOS as you have indicated) I will go to a junk yard and buy the block for the engine. Then I will take it to a shop in my home town where they will order all the parts necessary for my engine to hold that much. Here are some of the parts we have on order already: Piston rods, Valve springs and BIG injectors. We just started to get that together over the weekend and I know you will want me to update you as we keep going, so just ask in a month or so what has changed. I think I have sufficiently bored you with my info. If you would like to challenge me again in the future, feel free.

Kirk
Old 09-04-2001, 01:20 PM

Ummmm.....where is your post?
Old 09-04-2001, 01:21 PM
Minister of Silly Walks

I told my cousin who is heavy into the aftermarket mods for hondas to see if he can find a 6-speed tranny for me that would work, he has as of yet only told me that he cant find one with the correct gear ratios to run in it, so, this time anyway, you are correct that there do not appear to be any for our max's. But he has not looked everywhere he can and he is still optimistic that he will find one for me.
Oh boy, another "my mechanic friend told me..." answer.

The ratios arent the problem. There is no 6spd, regardless of ratios that fits onto our engine and into our cars. You'd have to build one from scratch. The upcoming 6spd for the 2002 max would be your best bet.

Here are some of the parts we have on order already: Piston rods, Valve springs and BIG injectors.
What kind of piston rods (I assume you mean connecting rods), valve springs and injectors. You probably dont have part numbers handy, at least humor us with brand names. Where are you getting these parts from. As far as I know there arent any of these high performance parts already developed for the VQ. Again, much custom work will be required.

I know there are many others that would be interested in this info. Dont try to pull that, "I dont want everyone to know what I'm doing 'cause I want to be the first" stuff that some try. Just tell us exactly what you've got cooking and some of us might lay off.
Old 09-04-2001, 01:21 PM

I saw it, didn't you?
Old 09-04-2001, 01:35 PM
Minister of Silly Walks

One other thing. You said your "friend who knows a lot about imports" is just trying to find a tranny with the right ratios.

Can you find out the model number and manufacturer of a tranny that fits, yet lacks the correct ratios?
Old 09-04-2001, 01:41 PM

One other thing. You said your "friend who knows a lot about imports" is just trying to find a tranny with the right ratios.

Can you find out the model number and manufacturer of a tranny that fits, yet lacks the correct ratios?
LMFAO. How could I tell you any more than I have about them? I have told you all that he has told me. He said "I havent found one that has the right gear ratios yet" He didnt say 'I found one that will fit but the ratios are wrong' because if he said that cant you swap out the gear ratios? and, once again, he isnt a "friend who knows a lot about imports" he is my cousin and he knows a lot about hondas. Give up, I dont know what you are gaining out of this, but just give up.

Kirk
Old 09-04-2001, 01:54 PM
Minister of Silly Walks

...I have told you all that he has told me. ...

... Give up, I dont know what you are gaining out of this, but just give up...

Kirk

Ok, you've told us what you've been told about the tranny.

Now, I will repeat myself:

"What kind of piston rods (I assume you mean connecting rods), valve springs and injectors. You probably dont have part numbers handy, at least humor us with brand names. Where are you getting these parts from. As far as I know there arent any of these high performance parts already developed for the VQ. Again, much custom work will be required.

I know there are many others that would be interested in this info. Dont try to pull that, "I dont want everyone to know what I'm doing 'cause I want to be the first" stuff that some try. Just tell us exactly what you've got cooking and some of us might lay off."

Since this stuff is already ordered, you should be able to get some specifics about them.

I'll give up when you give specific answers to my specific questions. Fact is, I dont believe for a second that you have already ordered any kind of high performance connecting rods, valve springs or injectors. And I hope no one else will until you can provide part numbers and names of manufacturers.

If you really have done this, the answers should be simple. If not, you'll keep dancing around under the pressure.
Old 09-04-2001, 02:06 PM

FLAME ON!!
Old 09-04-2001, 02:09 PM

Warning: this post will not satisfy your requirements.

"What kind of piston rods (I assume you mean connecting rods), valve springs and injectors. You probably dont have part numbers handy, at least humor us with brand names. Where are you getting these parts from. As far as I know there arent any of these high performance parts already developed for the VQ. Again, much custom work will be required.

I went to the shop, told them what I was looking at doing(15 psi, 150 shot) and they said they would have to replace this and that, most of which I didnt understand. They said they would make some phone calls and get some parts on the way. Later that night they called me up and said that they had those 3 on the way. I do not know what brand, model # or anything they ordered. To tell you the truth I really dont care, as long as it will run what I want it to run without falling apart or blowing up. If you are so interested in this why dont you go to some performance shops in your town and see what they tell you?

Since this stuff is already ordered, you should be able to get some specifics about them.
I cant give specifics because I didnt order them nor do I much care who they are from. Like I said above, since you are obviously very interested in this why dont you do some research on your own at a local shop? When the parts come in and I visit the shop again I will try to write down all the info on them.

I'll give up when you give specific answers to my specific questions. Fact is, I dont believe for a second that you have already ordered any kind of high performance connecting rods, valve springs or injectors. And I hope no one else will until you can provide part numbers and names of manufacturers.
As if you didnt already notice, your opinion and what you think matters very little to me. I couldnt give a rats @ss if you believe me or not. If others do, thats ok, if they dont, doesnt bother me any. I know what Im doing and am satisfied about it. If it really bothers you that is your problem.

If you really have done this, the answers should be simple. If not, you'll keep dancing around under the pressure.
Believe what you want. I am telling you exactly what happened. I didnt order these parts myself so I cant give specifics on them. If the shop was pulling my leg about them then they will no longer get any of my business. All I did was tell you what I plan to do and what I have been told about that. If you dont believe me that is your prerogative.
Old 09-04-2001, 02:15 PM
Minister of Silly Walks

Ok, since you dont have specific answers and dont seem to want to provide them, for no other reason than to help other Max owners (fogetting about me for a sec), anyone else would have no choice but to think that you are making all of this up.

Old 09-04-2001, 02:16 PM

I have a suggestion, why not put each other on one another's IGNORE list?
Old 09-04-2001, 02:18 PM
Minister of Silly Walks

I have a suggestion, why not put each other on one another's IGNORE list?
Because I'm enjoying this.
Old 09-04-2001, 02:19 PM

Me too, if he didnt ask these questions Im sure someone else would. It really doesnt bother me to asnwer these questions to the best of my ability with the information I have been given.
If that is what they want to believe that is up to them. I honestly dont care. When(acording to what you said this seems more like an if) the parts for my engine come in I will write down exactly what they are, from which company, and the part # with cost. If they were just feeding me some BS then I will post that as well. I hope they werent. As for the 6-speed tranny, IF he finds one that will work I will let eveyone know and maybe it will become a sticky. All Im doing is letting you guys know what I am trying to have done to the car and what people that are trying to help me have told me. If that is reason to flame, bring it.

Kirk
Old 09-04-2001, 03:08 PM
Evil Administrator - "The Problem"

Old 09-04-2001, 03:12 PM

Originally posted by bill99gxe
Amusing...but Im sticking to my story.

Kirk
Old 09-04-2001, 03:14 PM
Minister of Silly Walks

Kirk

Your story: "I have no story, just believe what I say and dont question me" You'd make a great preacher.
Old 09-04-2001, 03:18 PM
Evil Administrator - "The Problem"

Kirk
Medic,

Will you please tell him that his sig doesn't have to be shown with EVERY SINGLE POST.

That thing takes up half a page.......

Quick Reply: 2001 Eclipse GT Spyder - killed, and an RX7 too