4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Power steering boost adjustments?

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-2001, 07:27 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Is there any relatively easy way to reduce the amount of boost running to the power steering unit? I already have a UDP but that didn't make much difference at all in the steering weight.

I suppose I could find a larger diameter pulley specific for the power steering unit (which would end up driving the pump slower).

The weighting feels pretty constant all the way around and it isn't softer in any one area compared to another.
I'd like to add a good 30-50% more weight into the wheel.
I run the tire pressures around 32PSI.

Any ideas? Are there any variables in power steering fluid types that could come into play?
Old 09-05-2001, 08:02 PM

Originally posted by chris j vurnis
Is there any relatively easy way to reduce the amount of boost running to the power steering unit? I already have a UDP but that didn't make much difference at all in the steering weight.

I suppose I could find a larger diameter pulley specific for the power steering unit (which would end up driving the pump slower).

The weighting feels pretty constant all the way around and it isn't softer in any one area compared to another.
I'd like to add a good 30-50% more weight into the wheel.
I run the tire pressures around 32PSI.

Any ideas? Are there any variables in power steering fluid types that could come into play?
Here's a half-baked idea. Install a bypass hose between the PS pump output hose and the return hose. Put a hand-operated valve in that bypass hose. With the valve closed you would have full boost. With the valve wide open you would have no boost. Experiment with various valve settings until you had just the amount of boost you like.

Installing different pulleys will change the boost characteristics but you can't predict the magnitude of the change. The bypass valve provides infinite variability. You can change it from day to day, easily and without additional cost.
Old 09-06-2001, 12:31 AM

I want to know the same thing!!!

I hate how powerful the power steering is! I drove a NSX and it was GREAT.. I am going to experiment with the bypass thing..
Old 09-07-2001, 10:11 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

So I looked up the Power steering assembly in the service manual of the car. I see where they refer to flow control valves on some exploded assembly views. I suppose those are just simple restrictors but not totally sure.

Anybody know this for sure?

I was talking to a coworker of mine who used to be a mechanic for several years... suggested to experiment with inline restrictors. My coworker said it actually is a quite common modification that a decent shop that works on steering systems could do -- parts are supposedly fairly cheap too.