4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

slipping clutch???

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2001, 01:33 PM

whenever i'm running WOT and go to my 2-3 shift it feels like the clutch grabs 3rd really hard and grinds a little. is this my clutch slipping or bad gears?
Old 09-09-2001, 01:42 PM

Originally posted by Soon2BMaxed
whenever i'm running WOT and go to my 2-3 shift it feels like the clutch grabs 3rd really hard and grinds a little. is this my clutch slipping or bad gears?
Possibilities ...

1) You are racing and shifting too fast.

2) Your 3rd gear synchros are worn because the car's former owner(s) raced the car and shifted too fast.

Quit racing or start saving your pennies in the New Tranny fund.
Old 09-09-2001, 03:04 PM

i have a different problem between 2nd and 3rd gear. I feel that my cluth is slipping cuase once i put it in 3rd then accelerate i slip about 300-400 rpm. i am at 60 k with the original clutch, could this be a sign that my clutch is going? I have been riding my car very easily in that gear to prevent it from getting any worse, what would you suggest?
Old 09-09-2001, 03:15 PM

what exactly are 3rd gear synchros? i only feel it when i'm pushing her hard...
Old 09-09-2001, 06:03 PM

Originally posted by MAXEJA
i have a different problem between 2nd and 3rd gear. I feel that my cluth is slipping cuase once i put it in 3rd then accelerate i slip about 300-400 rpm. i am at 60 k with the original clutch, could this be a sign that my clutch is going? I have been riding my car very easily in that gear to prevent it from getting any worse, what would you suggest?
A good test for a slipping clutch is to travel on a level road at 50 mph in 5th gear. Floor the gas pedal. If the engine rpm increases quickly but the vehicle speed does not, the clutch is slipping. The sensation is similar to spinning your wheels on an icy roadway. Lots of revs, not much acceleration.
Old 09-09-2001, 06:33 PM

Synchros (that's short for synchronizers) are mechanical speed-matching components of manual transmissions. They are responsible for engaging gears without that ugly sound called "gear clash" or "gear grinding". Each gear has its own synchronizer parts. When these parts become worn or broken you will feel grinding when you shift into that gear.

You will find a good article about the way manual transmissions work at http://users.erols.com/elans4/Transmission.htm
Old 09-09-2001, 06:38 PM

Synchros (that's short for synchronizers) are mechanical speed-matching components of manual transmissions. They are responsible for engaging gears without that ugly sound called "gear clash" or "gear grinding". Each gear has its own synchronizer parts. When these parts become worn or broken you will feel grinding when you shift into that gear.

You will find a good article about the way manual transmissions work at http://users.erols.com/elans4/Transmission.htm
Old 09-12-2001, 11:01 AM

ok well thanks a lot, im getting ready to check out that article. btw can a synchro be replaced individually?
Old 09-12-2001, 12:25 PM

Originally posted by Daniel B. Martin

Daniel, will the test you posted once before also help them out in ths case. I believe it was you, feel free to correct me if I am wrong but where you are parked and put the car into 4th or 5th and slowly let out the clutch. If it stalls fast then the clutch is in good shape it is waits and shakes it may be going. i believe thats how it was , just to give them a couple other tests to base it on.

SuDZ
Old 09-12-2001, 02:20 PM

Originally posted by SuDZ

Daniel, will the test you posted once before also help them out in ths case. I believe it was you, feel free to correct me if I am wrong but where you are parked and put the car into 4th or 5th and slowly let out the clutch. If it stalls fast then the clutch is in good shape it is waits and shakes it may be going. i believe thats how it was , just to give them a couple other tests to base it on.

SuDZ
I did not post that advice. My preferred clutch slippage test was posted earlier in this thread. Here it is, again ...

A good test for a slipping clutch is to travel on a level road at 50 mph in 5th gear. Floor the gas pedal. If the engine rpm increases quickly but the vehicle speed does not, the clutch is slipping. The sensation is similar to spinning your wheels on an icy roadway. Lots of revs, not much acceleration.
Old 09-12-2001, 02:32 PM

ok well thanks a lot, im getting ready to check out that article. btw can a synchro be replaced individually?
Synchros can be replaced individually. However, it is a lot of work to remove the transaxle and open it to replace only that one part. If you get gear clash only when shifting into 3rd and only at high rpms, maybe you should leave it alone.

Don't have unrealistic expectations. Even with a new synchro on 3rd gear you won't have race-car shifting characteristics.

Some Maxima 5-speed owners report improved shifting characteristics may be obtained by using synthetic gear lubricant. I can't vouch for that personally. Plain Jane (my '99 GXE) is still running on the factory fill.