4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Mobil 1 ATF. Any good?

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2001, 06:51 AM

Mobil 1 ATF. Any good?

Okay guys, what brand of ATF should I use that I can buy at Autozone and such. I bought some Mobil 1 for my GXE, is that any good?
Old 09-20-2001, 06:59 AM

I didn't notice any difference between that and the regular old Dextron 3 stuff, but then again, maybe I haven't been looking for a difference.
Old 09-20-2001, 07:12 AM

Okay, I just read the engine oil and ATF analysis post. Can anyone recommend a better policy than my own for changing both? Should I have the tranny completely flushed before I switch to Synthetic? I use Castrol GTX (because that is what the previous owner used)in my GXE and Mobil 1 in my Civic and my SE. Is Castrol any good? I used it for almost 100,000 on my old civic motor and never had any problems, but I just wanted to get your feedback. Currently I only drive the civic on the weekends (motor swapped at 180,000k), My GXE drives about 2,400 miles month and has 61,000 miles on it, and my SE only has 18,000+ miles on it after almost two years( my wife just uses it to pick up the kids and make trips to the store, etc.). Right now I change all my cars oil every 3,000 miles. The only car I have to worry about about ATF in, is the GXE. So, since it had 55,000 on it when I bought it, and it now is at 61,000, I think it's time to change the ATF fluid. The previous owner had the car dealer serviced so the tranny fluid has not been changed. Any feedback would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
Old 09-20-2001, 07:16 AM
Evil Administrator - "The Problem"

Originally posted by Redcivic
Okay, I just read the engine oil and ATF analysis post. Can anyone recommend a better policy than my own for changing both? Should I have the tranny completely flushed before I switch to Synthetic? I use Castrol GTX (because that is what the previous owner used)in my GXE and Mobil 1 in my Civic and my SE. Is Castrol any good? I used it for almost 100,000 on my old civic motor and never had any problems, but I just wanted to get your feedback. Currently I only drive the civic on the weekends (motor swapped at 180,000k), My GXE drives about 2,400 miles month and has 61,000 miles on it, and my SE only has 18,000+ miles on it after almost two years( my wife just uses it to pick up the kids and make trips to the store, etc.). Right now I change all my cars oil every 3,000 miles. The only car I have to worry about about ATF in, is the GXE. So, since it had 55,000 on it when I bought it, and it now is at 61,000, I think it's time to change the ATF fluid. The previous owner had the car dealer serviced so the tranny fluid has not been changed. Any feedback would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
Part 1:

Don't know if Castrol is good from an analysis standpoint. I imagine it's just fine for a dino oil.

Part 2:

Here's a repeat of the ATF spreadsheet sticky post. I would recommend replacing the fluid as follows:

My 94 Maxima

I have submitted one oil analysis:

One analysis after 8,500 miles with ULX-110 10W-30 and Mobil 1 oil filter.

I have submitted two ATF analyses:

One analysis after 31,000 miles with the conventional ATF which was put in at 78,000 miles when I had the ATF replaced with the Trans-Tech machine in a Penske Auto Center as described in my wife’s 99 Maxima. This analysis helped to further prove that in general, any conventional ATF should not be used more than 30,000 miles instead of the 60,000 normally recommended by Nissan.

The second analysis was taken 4,000 miles after I began performing a drain and fille with 3 quarts or so of Amsoil ATF for 4 consecutive weekends, with another drain and fill with 3 quarts of Amsoil ATF to take the sample analyzed. This second analysis was taken to show how effective the “drain and fill” method is at flushing out the old ATF and how “new” the synthetic ATF was that I used to replace it.

I believe it to be successful, although for first timers, I HIGHLY recommend having the ATF flushed out with a Trans-Tech machine service first and then draining and filling with a synthetic ATF of your choice. This service will cost between $60 and $70, and the ATF will be $100 or so if you do it by yourself.

I am now resolved to recommending NOT having a shop put the synthetic ATF in there for you when having your ATF replaced with a Trans-Tech machine as you waste several quarts of ATF (you usually have to give them at least 4 more quarts than the system capacity to do the flush). Rather, just opening the drain bolt every weekend and refilling with 2 or 3 quarts of synthetic ATF would be just as effective. Even though the dino will “dilute” the ATF to some extent, since it’s new ATF anyway I believe it will not adversely effect the synthetic ATF. My lab results tend to prove this belief.

My driving conditions include an 18,000 annual mileage, with a 50%/50% highway/city mileage. Very few short trips are ever taken with this vehicle as well. I have never used a drop of oil in the 80,000 miles I have owned this vehicle.
Old 09-20-2001, 08:30 AM
Member who somehow became The President of The SE-L Club

Originally posted by Redcivic
Okay, I just read the engine oil and ATF analysis post. Can anyone recommend a better policy than my own for changing both? Should I have the tranny completely flushed before I switch to Synthetic? I use Castrol GTX (because that is what the previous owner used)in my GXE and Mobil 1 in my Civic and my SE. Is Castrol any good? I used it for almost 100,000 on my old civic motor and never had any problems, but I just wanted to get your feedback.
I've been using Castrol GTX for 20 years. I'm on my 4th car, currently the Maxima, previous cars were all Hondas. All of them went 170,000 before I sold them. Never had any engine problems, never even consumed a quart of oil in between changes. So as far as Castrol goes, USE IT it's goos stuff. I run the Castrol Syntec Blend in the Maxima.

Now for the tranny, If you do a drain, refill, dirve around the block, drain, refill again - using Synthetic fluids you get a pretty good flush. Then continue to use the synthetic trans fluid from then on. It does make a difference on the way the Max. shifts at all temperatures.
Old 09-20-2001, 08:55 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

sweet. I am going to set up an apointment for Saturday or something...I need to get this done (and a fuel filter change, which I hear is a pain withe ABS in the way).... Mobil 1 all the way for me.
Old 09-20-2001, 09:19 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Use synthetic Mobil 1 ATF for your tranny. You will save the extra $$ than buying Redline. The synthetic is better than the regular stuff from my experience. I could feel the car shift better. You should also use Mobil 1 synthetic motor oil for your engine while you're at it.

Lime you are right about the fuel filter. Next time I will pay somebody to change it for me. Less pain and scratches.

Ken
Old 09-20-2001, 09:59 AM
MDr

I did noticed that rough first shift to D when engine was warming up went away when I swiched to sythetic ATF.
Old 09-20-2001, 11:45 AM

I did several drain and refills with Redline D4 ATF, then finally did a T-tech full flush with Redline D4 ATF. I did not notice any difference in shift quality with the synthetic fluid, but my mechanic did mention how clean the stuff is everytime he does the drain and refill at 15k intervals.

I also added a transmission cooler.
Old 09-20-2001, 06:08 PM

I did'nt think the fuel filter change was so bad. I think I'll stick to the Castrol in the GXE. Hell I spent $55.00 today at Autozone the ATF fluid and some other stuff. The wife gives me grief everytime I come back from the toy store (Autozone). If I don't watch it she catch on to what I'm up to