4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Need help from Daniel B. Martin

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2001, 10:01 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Need help from Daniel B. Martin

Daniel B. Martin,

Can I ask you a question about my rear driver side window? I can lower the window from the driver's control but it will not go back up. Tried both switches and no luck closing it. My friend got it to go back up after using a charge from a power source onto the socket. Do you think it is the rear window switch or regulator. I know the switch cost big bucks to replace. But if that's the problem then I will buy a new one. Any way to pinpoint the exact problem?

Ken
Old 09-20-2001, 10:14 AM

So, the rear window doesn't go up when you use the drivers doors controls, right? If it goes down using the same switch but doesn't go up, sounds like the switch is the culprit. Sometimes all you need to do is unplug the switch and replug it. The door is very easy to open up (done it a few times myself when replacing the speakers) and the power window switch is right there. Pushing the switch on the door completes a circuit, so if you can apply direct current to the "up" circuit, you can test to see whether the switch is defective.

I would not suspect the rear window regulator unless the window fails to go up and down using both the drivers switch and the rear door switch.
Old 09-20-2001, 10:21 AM
I'm needing a caw

To add to Eric's post.

If you do need a switch or regulator(for that matter), just go to a junkyard. The switches don't seem to fail that often so an used one is probably gonna be good to go. I would drive down there w/ the door panel off and try out the used switch before you buy it. Electrical stuff doesn't have a return policy most of the time.
Old 09-20-2001, 10:29 AM

Re: Need help from Daniel B. Martin

Originally posted by Ken
Daniel B. Martin,

Can I ask you a question about my rear driver side window? I can lower the window from the driver's control but it will not go back up. Tried both switches and no luck closing it. My friend got it to go back up after using a charge from a power source onto the socket. Do you think it is the rear window switch or regulator. I know the switch cost big bucks to replace. But if that's the problem then I will buy a new one. Any way to pinpoint the exact problem?

Ken
I'm not clear on what your friend did to make the window close. Did he apply 12 volts directly to the power window motor? That is a good "unit test" procedure.

I believe the rear door power window switches are identical. If this is correct, you could exchange the two switches. If you make this swap and the passenger rear window inherits the problem, that is evidence to condemn the switch.

I've heard of Maxima owners who were able to rehabilitate a bad switch by carefully opening the plastic case, polishing burned terminals, and reassembling. I've never tried this myself. A successful outcome requires patience and dexterity but it's worth a try. Let us know if this succeeds.