4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Lowered Maximas, Ugly? Sexy?

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-2001, 12:24 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

SuDZ...

You should look into the "half" coil-over setups. The 2 main companies that make them are Weapon-R ($250), and Ground Controls ($400). You adjust them but turning a perch with a wrench. However, you should not get the idea this is a snap. You have to take off the wheels first, and anyone can tell you it is a pain. However, if you only plan to do it 2 or 3 times a year (when bad weather hits), these would be ideal. Another advantage of these "half" coilovers is that you will be able to adjust the from a 1"-4" drop. Wow! However (to every good thing there is an equal and opposite bad thing ), the ride is VERY harsh. They are great if you plan to show your car, and good if you want to lower and raise it periodically. However you should know that a spring setup will not be bad for you either. The front of your car will be lower, but the back will be just about the same (trust me I have Sprints with a 2" drop). Either one of the choices (springs vs. "half" coilovers will be fine for you. And by the way, the reason I called them "half" coilovers is because a true coilover setup (as in it includes the struts and everything) run about $1400. Cattman makes them in you are interested. Have fun and make the choice which is right for you, not which necessarily looks better.
-Cyrus
Old 10-03-2001, 01:44 PM

Re: SuDZ...

Originally posted by Vyrus
You should look into the "half" coil-over setups. The 2 main companies that make them are Weapon-R ($250), and Ground Controls ($400). You adjust them but turning a perch with a wrench. However, you should not get the idea this is a snap. You have to take off the wheels first, and anyone can tell you it is a pain. However, if you only plan to do it 2 or 3 times a year (when bad weather hits), these would be ideal. Another advantage of these "half" coilovers is that you will be able to adjust the from a 1"-4" drop. Wow! However (to every good thing there is an equal and opposite bad thing ), the ride is VERY harsh. They are great if you plan to show your car, and good if you want to lower and raise it periodically. However you should know that a spring setup will not be bad for you either. The front of your car will be lower, but the back will be just about the same (trust me I have Sprints with a 2" drop). Either one of the choices (springs vs. "half" coilovers will be fine for you. And by the way, the reason I called them "half" coilovers is because a true coilover setup (as in it includes the struts and everything) run about $1400. Cattman makes them in you are interested. Have fun and make the choice which is right for you, not which necessarily looks better.
-Cyrus
Hey thanks for the help. This will come in handy. So everytime you want to raise and lower it you take the rims/tires off? Is it hydrolic(sp?)? I think I might look into these eventually thanks.

SuDZ
Old 10-03-2001, 05:16 PM

Re: lower before rims

Originally posted by sp6040

i may be mistaken but are you planing on getting rims before lowering?if thats the case you should lower first. you think the gap is bad now what till you get rims with no drop.it will look like you raised it.thats the mistake i made.
Still... stock rims and drop looks like POS..
Old 10-03-2001, 06:00 PM

drop w/ stock rims

Re: lower before rims

Quoted Message:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Originally posted by sp6040

i may be mistaken but are you planing on getting rims before lowering?if thats the case you should lower first. you think the gap is bad now what till you get rims with no drop.it will look like you raised it.thats the mistake i made.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Still... stock rims and drop looks like POS..

True, but it looks better than not having it dropped at all.
Old 10-03-2001, 07:08 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Lowered Maximas are the sh..

We just didnt just lower our cars for the hell of it theres many advantages to lowering our vehicles better handling, even tire wear for those expensive tires and better looks....now if you like that 4x4 nasty 5inch fender well gap thats on you. Now look at some of these RiceaRonis with honda civic (hatchbacks) their **** is so slammed the wheels are tilted inward that sh.. is stupid, and not good now your eating your tires on the inside.

lowered Maximas are beautiful

[img]C:\My Documents\My Pictures\MAXORG copy.jpg[/img]
Old 10-03-2001, 08:44 PM
SLOW

You don't have to take the wheels off to raise or lower coilovers on a Maxima. And no it't not hydraulic like someone asked, you turn a threaded spring perch with your hands, just as the guy said right before you asked him if its hydraulic. The longest part of the operation is jacking the car up.
Old 10-04-2001, 05:09 PM

dropped max

thats an amen to that!