4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

My 95 GLE is stalling - please help

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-2001, 06:19 PM

My 95 GLE is stalling - please help

hi everyone. my max has 112k on it, and all was fine until today... on the way home from my dad's, i noticed she wanted to stall at an intersection, but she held on. at home, while pulling into my parking space, she stalled twice when i cut the steering wheel all the way to park. any ideas? i have a half tank of gas and my battery shows no signs of weekness (no dashboard warning lights either). thanks for any help.
maury
Old 09-28-2001, 06:31 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Re: My 95 GLE is stalling - please help

Originally posted by Maury
hi everyone. my max has 112k on it, and all was fine until today... on the way home from my dad's, i noticed she wanted to stall at an intersection, but she held on. at home, while pulling into my parking space, she stalled twice when i cut the steering wheel all the way to park. any ideas? i have a half tank of gas and my battery shows no signs of weekness (no dashboard warning lights either). thanks for any help.
maury

Check your MAFS . If you don't know how buy either a Chiltons or Haynes repair manual.
Old 09-28-2001, 06:51 PM

Re: Re: My 95 GLE is stalling - please help

thanks emax95 for the quick reply. i don't know how... i'll have to pick one of those repair manuals. i used to have a 89 maxima se (back in 1994) and the only problem i had with that car was the mass air flow sensor ... weird.
maury
Originally posted by emax95

Check your MAFS . If you don't know how buy either a Chiltons or Haynes repair manual.
Old 09-28-2001, 07:14 PM

Re: Re: Re: My 95 GLE is stalling - please help

thanks emax95 for the quick reply. i don't know how... i'll have to pick one of those repair manuals. i used to have a 89 maxima se (back in 1994) and the only problem i had with that car was the mass air flow sensor ... weird.
maury
You will need a inexpensive volt meter too. Go to radio shack, I think there about $15-20 there.
Old 09-28-2001, 07:20 PM

Re: Re: Re: Re: My 95 GLE is stalling - please help

thanks

You will need a inexpensive volt meter too. Go to radio shack, I think there about $15-20 there.
Old 09-29-2001, 04:29 PM

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: My 95 GLE is stalling - please help

ok guys - sorry but i hit a dead end (at least for today). after work, i went to 3 auto parts stores within an hour's drive from my house, and no one had the '93-'99 chiltons or haynes! everyone had 89-92... did me no good. my dad used to be a mechaninc & we looked around under the hood on my car. we think we found the mafs, but aren't sure. if it's not too much trouble, can anyone here tell me "is it the small square black box just before the air filter?" i guess what i really want to know is, can my dad and i replace this ourselves? of course i'll have to find the repair manual somewhere, but i may have to order it... i'm so impatient, i just had to ask you guys in the meantime. sorry if i'm being a pain.
thanks for all the help
maury
thanks
Old 09-29-2001, 05:21 PM

Two questions, where are you located, and secondly, don't you mean AFTER the air filter box? Its a black cylinder that has a black box sitting on top of it with a pink sticker that has UNISIA JECS on it.Check to make sure that the plug in hte back of it is connected.
Old 09-29-2001, 07:19 PM

hi medicsonic - i'm in northeast pa (an hour north of allentown). looking at the engine from in front of my car, the box to the left of the air filter. thanks- i'll check that right now to see if it worked loose.
maury
Originally posted by medicsonic
Two questions, where are you located, and secondly, don't you mean AFTER the air filter box? Its a black cylinder that has a black box sitting on top of it with a pink sticker that has UNISIA JECS on it.Check to make sure that the plug in hte back of it is connected.
Old 09-29-2001, 08:49 PM

getting somewhere... i think

hi guys... i finally found a haynes manual ... i got to autozone 10 minutes before they closed ! anyway, i got the code 0304 from my check engine light, which means knock sensor (you guys knew that already). i did a search on "knock sensor" here, and i get the impression from daniel b that this might not be a serious code... daniel, if you're reading this - i read that you think it may be ok to not replace the KS if we use 91 octane... i always use 93 & i just wonder, could a bad KS make my car stall? i can't get my hands on a volt meter until tomorrow, i just want your opinions either way. i'm not 100% sure that it is NOT the mafs - but with no mafs code i assume not. i respect all you guys for your experience and appreciate your help. thanks for everything
maury
hi medicsonic - i'm in northeast pa (an hour north of allentown). looking at the engine from in front of my car, the box to the left of the air filter. thanks- i'll check that right now to see if it worked loose.
maury
Old 09-29-2001, 10:02 PM

Re: getting somewhere... i think

hi guys... i finally found a haynes manual ... i got to autozone 10 minutes before they closed ! anyway, i got the code 0304 from my check engine light, which means knock sensor (you guys knew that already). i did a search on "knock sensor" here, and i get the impression from daniel b that this might not be a serious code... daniel, if you're reading this - i read that you think it may be ok to not replace the KS if we use 91 octane... i always use 93 & i just wonder, could a bad KS make my car stall? i can't get my hands on a volt meter until tomorrow, i just want your opinions either way. i'm not 100% sure that it is NOT the mafs - but with no mafs code i assume not. i respect all you guys for your experience and appreciate your help. thanks for everything
maury

It seems a lot of the 4th gen maximas get the knock sensor MIL code. I think it is just bad programing on nissan's part and there is nothing really the matter with your knock sensor. Also if it was your knock sensor, stalling whould not be a problem.
Old 09-30-2001, 04:33 AM

I completely agree with EMax. If we were to take a poll right now, I would guess about 20 percent of us would have the 0304 MIL code.
Old 09-30-2001, 06:44 AM

thanks guys... then that would lead me to ask- could it be my mafs without it showing a code?
i'm heading to church in a few minutes and then directly to radio shack for a volt meter. i suspect i'll still test the mafs first.
thanks
maury

I completely agree with EMax. If we were to take a poll right now, I would guess about 20 percent of us would have the 0304 MIL code.
Old 09-30-2001, 06:47 AM

It could be.
Old 10-01-2001, 09:58 AM

thanks medicsonic. i got my voltmeter & tested my mafs per the haynes manual ... the mafs passed the tests. i then partially tested the o2 sensor - i backprobed the o2 connector that sits right at the top of the engine, and that passed too. i live on a farily steep hill, and could not jack the car up & get under there to access the o2 sensors themselves, so i realize that test is not complete. i also noticed now that the car never has a hard time starting and never stalls until late in the day (after at least a few hours of driving have been logged). once it starts stalling, it stalls very often, until the next day after it's parked for 10 hours or so. i'll keep doing searches on "stalling" but if my new info leads anyone to add more to my ongoing dilemma, or if it raises any more questions - please chime in... you're help is very much appreciated. i will gladly go to the dealer if it's necessary, but i hate to go if it's not.
thank you all very much
maury
It could be.
Old 10-01-2001, 10:21 AM

thanks medicsonic. i got my voltmeter & tested my mafs per the haynes manual ... the mafs passed the tests. i then partially tested the o2 sensor - i backprobed the o2 connector that sits right at the top of the engine, and that passed too. i live on a farily steep hill, and could not jack the car up & get under there to access the o2 sensors themselves, so i realize that test is not complete. i also noticed now that the car never has a hard time starting and never stalls until late in the day (after at least a few hours of driving have been logged). once it starts stalling, it stalls very often, until the next day after it's parked for 10 hours or so. i'll keep doing searches on "stalling" but if my new info leads anyone to add more to my ongoing dilemma, or if it raises any more questions - please chime in... you're help is very much appreciated. i will gladly go to the dealer if it's necessary, but i hate to go if it's not.
thank you all very much
maury
I still think it's your MAFS . Reason I say that is because, it rarely shows up as a MIL & the symptoms describe it to a "T". My I30 use to run fine for about a 45 minutes and then the RPM's whould start going crazy and the car whould stall. I noticed that it tested out fine when I tested it, that was because it was working fine, the key is to test it when the car is acting strange and stalling.

I bought a MAFS from www.car-parts.com , it was off of a 98 max and was $55. BTW 95-98 MAFS are compatible.

BTW, although o2 sensors do have a role with how your car runs, I don't think they can make your car stall and usually a MIL code will come up.
Old 10-01-2001, 10:32 AM

thanks emax! yeah, i had a feeling the mafs issue wasn't over
i called a trusted garage (who's worked on my wife's old bmw and my car in the past) and he agrees with you - he thinks i should try cleaning the mafs and throttle body as well. i'm releived that we can get a used mafs from carpart.com, but how do you really know the mileage on the part? isn't there a chance they may sell you a mafs with horrible mileage? i don't know ... maybe it's still better than $275 for a new one.
maury

I still think it's your MAFS . Reason I say that is because, it rarely shows up as a MIL & the symptoms describe it to a "T". My I30 use to run fine for about a 45 minutes and then the RPM's whould start going crazy and the car whould stall. I noticed that it tested out fine when I tested it, that was because it was working fine, the key is to test it when the car is acting strange and stalling.

I bought a MAFS from www.car-parts.com , it was off of a 98 max and was $55. BTW 95-98 MAFS are compatible.

BTW, although o2 sensors do have a role with how your car runs, I don't think they can make your car stall and usually a MIL code will come up.
Old 10-01-2001, 01:32 PM

My car is having similar symptoms and the dealer can't find anything wrong while the car was with them. What does car-part call the MAF sensor as because I am looking for one also?
Thanks.
Old 10-01-2001, 02:49 PM

Originally posted by FLmax
My car is having similar symptoms and the dealer can't find anything wrong while the car was with them. What does car-part call the MAF sensor as because I am looking for one also?
Thanks.
They are called Mass Air Flow Sensors in EVERY car that has one.
Old 10-01-2001, 02:57 PM

Another suggestion

Just one other thing to check also - Your fuel filter. That can cause stalling and rough idling etc. While your nuder the hood or what not might be a good idea just to swap it out. It is like a 15 minute job.

SuDZ
Old 10-01-2001, 03:27 PM

Re: Another suggestion

thanks suzd - i had my local garage replace my fuel filter about 2000 miles ago... do you still think it should be changed again? i just sprayed throttle body cleaner in the TB; scrubbed the gook with an old toothbrush like my mechanic suggested, and started her back up. it was a hard start, but after a minute she idled normal. this time, i finally got the check engine light to come on... i took her around town but getting on the gas too much (felt like 2nd or 3rd gear- i have an automatic) she bucks bad and goes no faster. is this a sure symptom of the mafs now - with the rpm's being governed at 2400 like i read while searching other posts here about this problem? unless anyone talks me out of it i'm ordering a mafs. thanks for all the help & suggestions. you're all great to help me like this. i hope someday i can return the favor.
maury

Originally posted by SuDZ
Just one other thing to check also - Your fuel filter. That can cause stalling and rough idling etc. While your nuder the hood or what not might be a good idea just to swap it out. It is like a 15 minute job.

SuDZ
Old 10-01-2001, 11:09 PM

It has to be the MAF. My car has been doing that for about 2 months now. I went to the dealer and the told me it would be about $450 for new one. So I said f**k it, and bought extended warranty. It was $1000 for 3 years, and it covers a lot of sh*t. Once again it has to be your MAF. Good luck.
Old 10-02-2001, 06:07 AM

thanks! yeah, i ordered one last night at a local natn'l auto. they say it may be in as soon as noon today, so we'll see! anyone here know if it's ok to drive my car another 15 miles on a bad mafs - the car is goverened at like 2400 rpms - if i keep it slow can i drive it?
thanks
maury
Originally posted by Nismo98
It has to be the MAF. My car has been doing that for about 2 months now. I went to the dealer and the told me it would be about $450 for new one. So I said f**k it, and bought extended warranty. It was $1000 for 3 years, and it covers a lot of sh*t. Once again it has to be your MAF. Good luck.
Old 10-02-2001, 09:30 AM

Fail-safe mode

thanks! yeah, i ordered one last night at a local natn'l auto. they say it may be in as soon as noon today, so we'll see! anyone here know if it's ok to drive my car another 15 miles on a bad mafs - the car is goverened at like 2400 rpms - if i keep it slow can i drive it?
thanks
maury
Yes, it is safe to drive another 15 miles. The factory service manual refers to this 2400 rpm limit as "fail-safe mode".
Old 10-02-2001, 09:51 AM

Re: Fail-safe mode

thanks daniel b and everyone else ... hopefully this time tomorrow i'll be back in action.
have a great day
maury
Originally posted by Daniel B. Martin
Yes, it is safe to drive another 15 miles. The factory service manual refers to this 2400 rpm limit as "fail-safe mode".