4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Trouble Starting Car...

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2001, 12:50 AM

Trouble Starting Car...

im having trouble starting my car. When i turn the key it jitters a little before it finally kicks over. It only does it for the first start of the day... or if it has been sitting for a long period. This was happening last winter too, but when summertime came around the problem kinda went away. Any suggestions?
Old 10-06-2001, 10:38 AM

More information please

Originally posted by MAXIPADMAN
im having trouble starting my car. When i turn the key it jitters a little before it finally kicks over. It only does it for the first start of the day... or if it has been sitting for a long period. This was happening last winter too, but when summertime came around the problem kinda went away. Any suggestions?
Whenever you post a technical question it is helpful to specify ...
- model year
- transmission
- odometer reading
- mods (if any)
- recent repair history
- a detailed report of symptoms
Old 10-06-2001, 11:04 AM
All YOUR grammer belong to me

Danny B. is right...

If you have a 95 max, then it's your starter. Everything on that car is great EXCEPT the starters are crap. Me, my sister, and my friend all had to replace ours. They blow.
Old 10-06-2001, 03:36 PM

I have a 95 GXE 5 speed with 105K. Had her since new. Everything stock except intake and Y pipe. Changed plugs, oil, fuel filter and O2 sensor that went bad. Now then, my car has exhibited the same symptoms you describe. It runs rough and is hard to start 1st thing in the am or after its been sitting for a while. Also, have hard time starting it about 8,000 feet altitude (but many cars are like that). So you are not alone it your experience(s).
Old 10-06-2001, 03:54 PM

Re: More information please

Originally posted by Daniel B. Martin
Whenever you post a technical question it is helpful to specify ...
- model year
- transmission
- odometer reading
- mods (if any)
- recent repair history
- a detailed report of symptoms
ok, im sorry.. i forgot i took my sig off. Here are my specs:

-96 SE
-5 speed
-81,000 miles
-toks and eibach, PR-CAI, Greddy Catback, 16X8" BBS, RT cat.
-i dont really have a detailed report of the sypoms. It has only been doing it for like 3 days. That first start of the day kinda jitters a little before it kicks over. If i start it, then let it set for a minute... then start it back up, i dont have the same problem starting again. Im really not sure if its the starter.
Old 10-06-2001, 04:06 PM

My guess is its not the starter (assuming it exhibits the same symptoms I described above). However, I am no mechanic. Mine almost feels like the fuel isn't getting there on start up. I rarely leave it sit for more than 12 hours or so therefore, I just live with the occassion hard/rough start and have done so for years and tens of thousands of miles. Maybe Dan can shed some light...
Old 10-06-2001, 08:25 PM

It's most likely insufficient fuel pressure upon cranking or insufficient spark.

YOu need several things to fire: spark, fuel, compression, and timing. The first two items is what I'd look at first. If everything in the spark and fuel system checks out okay, then you should do a compression test. I doubt you skipped a tooth or anything else to effect the timing.

If you haven't replaced the plugs in awhile, now is a good time. Also, fuel filter & air filter should be done. If those are okay, then start on the fuel delivery. Have a fuel pressure test done. Upon cranking, it should be ~ 43 psi then fall to ~ 37 psi at idle. If it's below 30-33 psi, then that is what's causing the hard-to-start symptoms and it's most likely the fuel pump. If it's not the pump, then it's the fuel pressure regulator and/or dampener.
Old 10-06-2001, 08:57 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

I have a "97 GLE and it has the same problem, someone recomended Fuel Injector Cleaner, But I believe that the starter is just week. I also believe that that it's not getting enough Fuel. BUT, I'm no mechanic either. You could try this, I think I read it in the owners manual.
Cold Starts, turn the key into the slot right before the crank, where your warning lights turn on, and apply a Little gas. Let go of the pedal and then start. This is what i've been trying.
Hope I could help.
Old 10-07-2001, 09:55 AM

Re: Re: More information please

ok, im sorry.. i forgot i took my sig off. Here are my specs:

-96 SE
-5 speed
-81,000 miles
-toks and eibach, PR-CAI, Greddy Catback, 16X8" BBS, RT cat.
-i dont really have a detailed report of the sypoms. It has only been doing it for like 3 days. That first start of the day kinda jitters a little before it kicks over. If i start it, then let it set for a minute... then start it back up, i dont have the same problem starting again. Im really not sure if its the starter.
Thank you for the additional detail.

Regarding signatures: It's a good practice to put all relevant information in the body of your post, not in the signature. The reason is that some Maxima.Org members (me included) run with "sigs off". The reason is to decrease wait time and also avoid seeing the same images over and over and over again.

In your original post you said "When i turn the key it jitters a little ..." What is the it that jitters? The key? The starter motor? The engine? This may be obvious to you but remember you are sitting in the car, experiencing the symptom first-hand. Everyone else understands the symptom only through your words.
Old 10-07-2001, 10:05 AM
My other car is a Hybrid

If 'jitter' is just the extremely slow turning over of the engine...

You have a 96 and didn't state whether you've ever changed the battery yet...

Perhaps the battery maybe at fault... next culprit may be the starter like everyone else has stated...

A weak battery gets slightly charged after the hard initial start of each day... explaining why it may be easier to start afterwards... Turn on your headlights and try to start the car... if the headlights dim out extensively then that will give you more clues...
Old 10-07-2001, 10:20 AM

ok, i think i finally solved my problem. I replaced the spark plugs liek phuong said. It seemed the cheapest way to start trying to solve the problem. Anyway, i noticed no immediate change last night. However, this morning when i first started her up (after letting it sit overnight) i had absolutely no problem. I am pretty sure the battery was ok. I recently (two months ago) replaced the stock adeco battery wiht a DieHard Gold from NTB.

Thanks you guys. Yall are much more help (and a cheaper way of getting quick info) than taking my baby to a mechanic every time i have a minor problem. Thanks again
Old 10-07-2001, 10:28 AM
All YOUR grammer belong to me

ok, i think i finally solved my problem. I replaced the spark plugs liek phuong said. It seemed the cheapest way to start trying to solve the problem. Anyway, i noticed no immediate change last night. However, this morning when i first started her up (after letting it sit overnight) i had absolutely no problem. I am pretty sure the battery was ok. I recently (two months ago) replaced the stock adeco battery wiht a DieHard Gold from NTB.

Thanks you guys. Yall are much more help (and a cheaper way of getting quick info) than taking my baby to a mechanic every time i have a minor problem. Thanks again

YAY! THAT'S THE BEAUTY OF MAXIMA.ORG! This place rules !
Old 10-08-2001, 07:02 PM

damn, I'm good