4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

My cam is ticking badly............

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2001, 07:30 PM

My cam is ticking badly............

When I have the hood up, the cam is making a rapid ticking sound, and I can hear it inside when sitting at idle. I think its going bad. Is there anything I can do to fix it? If not, what kinda cost am I looking at here? The car still runs great......the car hasnt lost any performance at all. The gas mileage is still good for me, bout 24 miles per gallon average. Has this happened to anyone else at all? Please let me know of any info you can and I will go from there, but, like I said, the only thing I can tell is the cam (or that area of the engine, towards the back) is ticking. Thanks for the help!!!
Old 10-10-2001, 08:44 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Re: My cam is ticking badly............

Originally posted by Jr'sMaxima
When I have the hood up, the cam is making a rapid ticking sound, and I can hear it inside when sitting at idle. I think its going bad. Is there anything I can do to fix it? If not, what kinda cost am I looking at here? The car still runs great......the car hasnt lost any performance at all. The gas mileage is still good for me, bout 24 miles per gallon average. Has this happened to anyone else at all? Please let me know of any info you can and I will go from there, but, like I said, the only thing I can tell is the cam (or that area of the engine, towards the back) is ticking. Thanks for the help!!!
may just be the tickin of your fuel injectors. dbm says to take a rubber hose and place one end to your ear and the other end to where the sound is coming from so you can isolate the noise in the engine bay.
Old 10-10-2001, 08:55 PM

ok, i will do that then!!!
Old 10-11-2001, 02:09 AM

95 GLE have this same tinking noise too don't know what is wrong no effect on performance either p.m if u know what's wrong
Old 10-11-2001, 06:31 AM

The TICKING sound is from the ignition coils. Our cars do not have a standard distributor, and instead produces the power that 'sparks' the plugs in the ignition coils. That should be your noise.
Old 10-11-2001, 07:34 AM
Rit

I doubt that it is your "coils" that are ticking

They only produce an electrical "charge", and it would seem highly unlikely. I'm also guessing that it is not your camshaft failing - about to break. This failure mode is also highly unlikely. My guess would more likely be that it is coming from a valve that is out of adjustment, or stuck, or collapsed. If it is stuck or collapsed, an oil change may solve the problem, or else some type of snake-oil additive may fix it. If it is out of adjustment, it may be caused by wear on the camchaft lobe, or else the valve itself. Either of these may require a mechanic. I don't think that the VQ engine has easily adjusted valves.
Old 10-11-2001, 07:49 AM

Well, its not an oil change, cause it does it still after just getting it changed about 300 miles ago. I put 91 octane in, still doing. HMM........my fears is I dont want to go get shafted at the dealer. Cause I dont know what is wrong, but dont want to get shafted by them telling me something is bad when it might be simple. Thanks for the info guys, keep it coming, in the meantime, I will try to pinpoint the source of the sound more!
Old 10-11-2001, 07:52 AM

Re: I doubt that it is your "coils" that are ticking

Originally posted by Rit
They only produce an electrical "charge", and it would seem highly unlikely. I'm also guessing that it is not your camshaft failing - about to break. This failure mode is also highly unlikely. My guess would more likely be that it is coming from a valve that is out of adjustment, or stuck, or collapsed. If it is stuck or collapsed, an oil change may solve the problem, or else some type of snake-oil additive may fix it. If it is out of adjustment, it may be caused by wear on the camchaft lobe, or else the valve itself. Either of these may require a mechanic. I don't think that the VQ engine has easily adjusted valves.
Please go outside, open the hook and turn the car on. I GUARANTEE that the engine will click right new to the ignition coils. I also guarantee that everyone else's VQ also clicks. It will sound like a VERY rhythmic tick-tick-tick.
Old 10-11-2001, 09:40 AM

I have a 97 with ~60K. I recently changed my spark plugs and immediately noticed a rapid ticking noise. Perhaps the noise is due to the coils?
Old 10-11-2001, 09:43 AM

Originally posted by jflowers1974
I have a 97 with ~60K. I recently changed my spark plugs and immediately noticed a rapid ticking noise. Perhaps the noise is due to the coils?
Hey, that looks just like my two answers!!
Old 10-11-2001, 09:45 AM

Re: My cam is ticking badly............

okay, i had the same problem. your valves are self adjusting there is no need to adjust but only replace if they are bad. but first you need to replace that filter with a Nissan oil filter which has better filtering specs. Next you need to use a more qualified engine oil such as Nissan oil, which is a little thicker than the over the counter. if you want to use the oil that you have been using, go to a thicker grade. Check each and every spark plug housing unit by removing the spark plug and take a good look to see if one of your spark plugs are lose and the the valve cover gasket is not worn. you would notice this by seeing oil on your sparks.
Originally posted by Jr'sMaxima
Old 10-11-2001, 09:49 AM
I'm needing a caw

Sheesh. The ticking is probably:

1) a sticky lifter that gummed up and is not getting enough oil in.
2) a worn out chain tensioner or a stretched out timing chain
3) the injectors make a soft tick when they fire.
Old 10-11-2001, 10:00 AM

I've never heard a VQ that doesn't "tick"

It's fairly loud compared to other cars, but not real loud.

I usually can only hear it when I'm idling next to a building or something and the sound is reflecting off the building. (like a McDonalds drive through). or I'm outside of the car listening for it.

I think it's perfectly normal.

IanS
Old 10-11-2001, 10:18 AM

Originally posted by Jeff92se
Sheesh. The ticking is probably:

3) the injectors make a soft tick when they fire.
Old 10-11-2001, 11:18 AM
Rit

I believe that a coil is merely a step-up transformer that

steps-up (increases) the voltage to the spark plugs so that they fire at a higher voltage than the 12V system would generate. A transformer is merely 2-coils, hence the term "coil", and there are no moving parts within the coils, just wire wrapped around a piece of metal - and thus "impossible" for the coil itself to be making the noise, unless it is loose, and banging on the engine. I agree that the engines do tick, but I 99.9% doubt that it is the coil that is ticking.
Old 10-11-2001, 11:28 AM

MedicSonic is right as usual.
Old 10-11-2001, 11:29 AM

Originally posted by MaximaRider
IAMTHEMAXIMAGOD!! Oh wait, that's another user...
Old 10-11-2001, 11:30 AM
I'm needing a caw

Ah what?

Originally posted by MaximaRider
Old 10-11-2001, 11:38 AM
Rit

Check to see if your front and rear lights

are blinking. Maybe your directional signals are still on! J/K
Old 10-11-2001, 12:12 PM
Member who somehow became The President of The SE-L Club

Re: Check to see if your front and rear lights

Originally posted by Rit
Maybe your directional signals are still on! J/K
Old 10-11-2001, 12:20 PM

Re: Re: My cam is ticking badly............

Originally posted by shaekwon
Your valves are self adjusting there is no need to adjust but only replace if they are bad.

The valves on our cars are NOT self adjusting, they are indeed fixed. It's called a bucket and shim set up. There is usually no need to adjust valves with this setup. It can be done, but is a difficult job requiring special tools to extract the shim from the bucket it sits in.
Old 10-11-2001, 12:25 PM

So what you are saying is that this is pretty normal then and isnt anything to be worried about???
Old 10-11-2001, 12:29 PM
Rit

Thanks for getting the post back on track -

I think you're right. The conclusion is "they all do that." Don't you love it when the Nissan Service Advisor says that ! However, I think you ought to compare your ticking with another random Maxima, just to be sure that it is not excessive.
Old 10-11-2001, 12:42 PM

Re: Thanks for getting the post back on track -

Originally posted by Rit
I think you're right. The conclusion is "they all do that." Don't you love it when the Nissan Service Advisor says that ! However, I think you ought to compare your ticking with another random Maxima, just to be sure that it is not excessive.
Thats a good idea. I think I will find someone with a maxima and see if its pretty much the same or not. Thanks all for all of your help. Its greatly appreciated!
Old 10-11-2001, 12:51 PM

Out of Oil

If you ever here ticking coming from your engine, YOU'RE OUT OF OIL AND NEED TO FILLL IT UP ASAP. Try that first before you try all other suggestions to save yourself alot of work...
Old 10-11-2001, 02:56 PM

Re: Out of Oil

Originally posted by Str8ridin
If you ever here ticking coming from your engine, YOU'RE OUT OF OIL AND NEED TO FILLL IT UP ASAP. Try that first before you try all other suggestions to save yourself alot of work...
Unless you know what you are talking about, please listen to others. The ticking is in EVERY VQ Maxima, whether a '95 with 200K or a 2002 with 0 miles. TRUST ME.
Old 10-11-2001, 04:36 PM

Re: Re: Out of Oil

Originally posted by medicsonic

Unless you know what you are talking about, please listen to others. The ticking is in EVERY VQ Maxima, whether a '95 with 200K or a 2002 with 0 miles. TRUST ME.

Yes. I agree. if you do this too much NEW-bies you won't be very welcome here
Old 10-11-2001, 06:12 PM

Re: Out of Oil

This is probably the best line I've ever seen on here.
Old 10-11-2001, 06:38 PM

Why try oil when I just put it in and its still there??

I just gotta find someone with a maxima to let me compare!!
Old 10-12-2001, 06:28 AM

relax kids....just offering a suggestion that worked for me. my max burns oil over time, and every time the oil level goes below the maximum level, a 'ticking' noise comes from the block. Add some oil, and badabing...no noise at all. Even try (as previosly suggested) putting in a hiher viscous oil (recommend in the summer time) and the noise reduces to almost nothing.....

just a suggestion to help out another maxima enthusiast....
Old 10-12-2001, 07:16 AM

oh, and just found a better quick fix. get inside your car, start the engine, turn up your radio REAL loud and walla, the sound disapears. works for most noises in your max.
Old 10-12-2001, 12:35 PM

oh, and just found a better quick fix. get inside your car, start the engine, turn up your radio REAL loud and walla, the sound disapears. works for most noises in your max.
My mum does that in her car
Old 10-12-2001, 12:50 PM

Well then my must be plenty loud with my jl12w3 and 500 watts pounding into it!!!