4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

What kind of Motor oil to get?

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2001, 08:41 AM

Guys you see arrogance of moderator? I do not have any more comments. Just look at his words where he tries to stick our faces into this tread. Then what for is maxima.org forum? It is for us to post ANY question, no matter how stupid or easy question is. We have a right to get an answer, not arrogant one like bill00gxe tends to give to us for not sticking with his stickies. Some of us feel it is not adequate so we go into board for more. Stickies do not reflect personal opinions an experience thats what we are looking for.

As for you bill99gxe isn't time to get some lessons in civility? Of course you have a right to delete this tread as medicsonic pointed out. Just show your true face to us.

KCTHYPHON already pointed out who you are. Perhaps you can take some time to reflect your own personal problems and get back to us when you are less ARROGANT?

Enough of this flame.
Old 10-12-2001, 08:54 AM
I'm needing a caw

"Couldn't this be because the oil company just paid them to do it?""

Possibly, but data shows synthetics are superior in almost every catagory.

"""I don't think that we should take everything that these companies say for fact. Let's remember they are trying to make money. If they can find a way to feed off of peoples "superstitions" then most of the time they will.""

I agree. Like people saying this dino oil is better than other people's dino oil. And the fact that Jiffy Lube tries to scare into the 3000 mile oil change when oil analysis has shown otherwise.

""I'm not saying that synthetic isn't as good as advertised, but it does make you wonder why everyone doesn't use it.""

Good, it wouldn't be prudent to do so when it has shown it's superiority in almost every area. Everyone doesn't use it because the ave consumer only sees it's higher purchase cost. The ave consuer is not educated about oil enough to make an intelligent decesion.

""Why hasn't it become a standard? Kind of like those XR-71's and Prolong's. If NASA has really placed XR-71 in the space technology hall of fame, does that really mean it is good for our cars? And why hasn't that become a standard?""

Please don't don't lump legitimate synthetics w/ the likes of useless additives like Prolong, XR-71 etc... Synthetics are totally different. The reason why the additives you mention aren't standard is becuase it doesn't work. ie.. Prolong is now being investigated by the Govt for false advertising.

""Just some points to ponder from an average comsumer.""

Like I said, read the links and come back and state your opinion. It's all I ask. Have you done that??
Old 10-12-2001, 09:03 AM
I'm needing a caw

Cooler, I think Bill is just a little tired of having to answer the exact same question over and over and over. I've done the same. Bill and others have spent their OWN HARD EARNED money to have their own oil analyized to dispell all these "myths" floating around. We have all the data sitting right here on this site, but you still have posters saying..." I heard this and my mechanic told me that so it must be true" posts. Why rely on wives tales, when we have the FACTS staring you in the face?

How exactly would you feel if you spend alot of time and money to make a stickie FOR THE BENEFIT OF EVERYONE and then people choose to just ignore it??? Then to top it off, point to the link and then STILL HAVE PEOPLE IGNORE IT?

Really some of us feel that if we have to spoon feed you everything, you won't get too much sympanthy from us on some subjects. I ask you, did you read the links?? Did you do a search on "oil" or "synthetics" or even "oil changes"??? I think not.

Originally posted by cooler2000
Guys you see arrogance of moderator? I do not have any more comments. Just look at his words where he tries to stick our faces into this tread. Then what for is maxima.org forum? It is for us to post ANY question, no matter how stupid or easy question is. We have a right to get an answer, not arrogant one like bill00gxe tends to give to us for not sticking with his stickies. Some of us feel it is not adequate so we go into board for more. Stickies do not reflect personal opinions an experience thats what we are looking for.

As for you bill99gxe isn't time to get some lessons in civility? Of course you have a right to delete this tread as medicsonic pointed out. Just show your true face to us.

KCTHYPHON already pointed out who you are. Perhaps you can take some time to reflect your own personal problems and get back to us when you are less ARROGANT?

Enough of this flame.
Old 10-12-2001, 09:11 AM
Evil Administrator - "The Problem"

Guys you see arrogance of moderator? I do not have any more comments.

Just a quick note:

I do not moderate this forum.

Just look at his words where he tries to stick our faces into this tread.

Is English your native language?

Then what for is maxima.org forum?

Is English your native language?

It is for us to post ANY question, no matter how stupid or easy question is.

No it isn't. That is a false perception on your part. I would ask you to read the Moderator Rules and Policies, etc. but you seem convinced you already know them when you don't have a clue. This is yet another illustration of your unwillingness to think about anything.

We have a right to get an answer,

No you do not!

There are no "rights" here. This isn't a democracy. Again, I encourage you to read this:

http://forums.maxima.org/showthread....threadid=39141

http://forums.maxima.org/showthread....threadid=48039

not arrogant one like bill00gxe tends to give to us for not sticking with his stickies.

A) It's bill99gxe. Please try to be accurate at least occasionally.

B) You obviously didn't actually read the stickies or your questions would have been more intelligent.

Some of us feel it is not adequate so we go into board for more.

Then post a question that reflects something you actually read and not some stupidass statement like "there wasn't any useful info in there".

Stickies do not reflect personal opinions an experience thats what we are looking for.

Uh, how do you think the stickies were created? Do you think they came out of thin air?

The stickies are a mix of parts, those that are OEM and those that have had positive results for a majority of Maxima owners based upon experiences posted on these forums which you could actually find if you used the search function rather than using all of us as your personal slaves.

As for you bill99gxe isn't time to get some lessons in civility?

Isn't it time for you to post intelligent, meaningful questions?

Of course you have a right to delete this tread as medicsonic pointed out.

Once again, I do not moderate this forum.

Just show your true face to us.

I always do. Please prove me wrong by posting meaningful questions that reflect at least an effort to search. You have yet to do that.

KCTHYPHON already pointed out who you are.

Yes, but that is the result of different issues completely unrelated to your post. He stuck his nose in because it doesn't belong.

Perhaps you can take some time to reflect your own personal problems and get back to us when you are less ARROGANT?

Perhaps you can act like you have a brain before wasting bandwidth with questions that have been answered hundreds of times. Until then, we won't be getting along.

Enough of this flame.
You need to work on your flame skills.

Have a nice day.
Old 10-12-2001, 09:15 AM

I almost forgot.

My question about "California" oil and "New York" oil was never answered. I'm still waiting to learn what that means.
Old 10-12-2001, 09:20 AM
I'm needing a caw

Little harsh but true all true.
Old 10-12-2001, 09:23 AM

and truth obviously equals arrogance, even though Webster's dictionary disagrees.
Old 10-12-2001, 09:30 AM
I'm needing a caw

Truth hurts, they can't handle the truth etc.. take your pick.

It's frustrating that we have spent our own money and you have spent alot of time gather information for the benefit of others just to have it slapped back at you. Nice huh? You make a stickie in order to save time and effort but in the end, it creates just as much bs. You really have to ask yourself if it's worth sharing information sometimes. What good does it do?

Sometimes I just add information just for the benefit of the lurkers from other boards. I read this stuff and say "damn, I've said this stuff about 10 times before. But if I don't say something, guys from the more intelligent boards will think we are morons".

It's suprising how little the stickies are referenced in the threads.

Originally posted by bill99gxe
and truth obviously equals arrogance, even though Webster's dictionary disagrees.
Old 10-12-2001, 09:32 AM

yeah it's sad

nearly not worth the effort
Old 10-12-2001, 10:15 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Re: Re: Re: Re: What kind of Motor oil to get?

Originally posted by WaarrEagle

I bought a stock Nissan oil filter. I saw that site that compared them to some other brand and found the Nissan better. Is the Mobil one even better?
No!!! In fact much worse. they are made by Champion Labs who make about 50 different brands. Go with the OE or if you want an aftermarket filter go with Hastings.
Old 10-12-2001, 11:24 AM

A) stupid
B) lazy
C) ignorant
D) all of the above
Hey, watch your step there. I used all three of those words in a thread a couple days ago and got wailed on for it. I have since obtained a copyright on their use. You must clear it with me before using them together.
Old 10-12-2001, 12:06 PM

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: What kind of Motor oil to get?

Originally posted by mcros

No!!! In fact much worse. they are made by Champion Labs who make about 50 different brands. Go with the OE or if you want an aftermarket filter go with Hastings.

I would like to request a link or resource for the information about Mobile 1 oil filters with proof that:

1) Made by Champion Labs
2) They are inferior to most other major brands

I can provide two resources that claim Mobile 1 is nearly as good as Amsoil filters (made by Baldwin), so I would like to learn more about this test you are referring to.

And also, the OEM Nissan comparison was to a regular Fram, with a reputation for poor quality control and a crappy overall designed filter. I was disappointed that it wasn't compared to a Purolator, Mobile 1, etc. That would have been more informative.
Old 10-12-2001, 12:36 PM

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: What kind of Motor oil to get?

I would like to request a link or resource for the information about Mobile 1 oil filters with proof that:

1) Made by Champion Labs

2) They are inferior to most other major brands

I can provide two resources that claim Mobile 1 is nearly as good as Amsoil filters (made by Baldwin), so I would like to learn more about this test you are referring to.

And also, the OEM Nissan comparison was to a regular Fram, with a reputation for poor quality control and a crappy overall designed filter. I was disappointed that it wasn't compared to a Purolator, Mobile 1, etc. That would have been more informative.
First of all let me preface this by stating that I Was an employee of Hastings Manufacturing for many years before the filter division was sold to Baldwin. I have sat through numerous training sessions devoted to the structual, operational and application differences between filters. From Hastings I went on to Nippondenso who is world renowned for it's filters.
A few years back I was given a tour of the Champion Labs assembly line and I witnessed the generic Champ filter being stamped and boxed in Mobil, Shell, Texaco, Chevron and Penzoil boxes just to name a few. I really do not know where you would find the published data of who they private label for.
As far as Fram goes it is with out a doubt the worst product on the market and it is really amazing what a million dollar advertising budget will do for you. Unfortunately, what we consistenly see is other manufactures comparing filters to Fram in order to show that they have a higher micron rating. A roll of toilet paper in a can would have a higher micron rating then a Fram filter.
In conclusion, until someone can prove to me that Mobil filters are not made by Champion Labs I would purchase a Hastings, Baldwin or Wix filter or the OE filter to avoid warranty problems. I am sorry this does not fully answer your questions but, alot of my information relies on my almost twenty years experience in automotive filtration products.
Old 10-12-2001, 01:01 PM

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: What kind of Motor oil to get?

Wow this response should be nominated for post of the week. Great response!

First of all let me preface this by stating that I Was an employee of Hastings Manufacturing for many years before the filter division was sold to Baldwin. I have sat through numerous training sessions devoted to the structual, operational and application differences between filters. From Hastings I went on to Nippondenso who is world renowned for it's filters.

Someone who actually knows what they're talking about. This is a rare occurrence in these forums.

A few years back I was given a tour of the Champion Labs assembly line and I witnessed the generic Champ filter being stamped and boxed in Mobil, Shell, Texaco, Chevron and Penzoil boxes just to name a few. I really do not know where you would find the published data of who they private label for.

The only Champion name branding I'm aware of include:

Car and Driver
Champion
Deutsch
Mobile 1 (Mistake #1 by me)
STP

I had a brain fart and failed to remember that Mobile 1 is made by Champion. However, I'm under the impression that these filters have a different end plate, thicker can, and a stronger synthetic fiber element instead of the "industry-known" fragile paper media notorious for Champion filters.

I'm also having deja vu that I've had this discussion with either yourself or someone else that has worked in the industry as well.....

As far as Fram goes it is with out a doubt the worst product on the market and it is really amazing what a million dollar advertising budget will do for you. Unfortunately, what we consistenly see is other manufactures comparing filters to Fram in order to show that they have a higher micron rating. A roll of toilet paper in a can would have a higher micron rating then a Fram filter.

Yeah, most are moot comparisons (unless of course you wish to use a roll of toilet paper for filtering).

In conclusion, until someone can prove to me that Mobil filters are not made by Champion Labs I would purchase a Hastings, Baldwin or Wix filter or the OE filter to avoid warranty problems. I am sorry this does not fully answer your questions but, alot of my information relies on my almost twenty years experience in automotive filtration products.
Here is one link where my info originates:

http://www.scuderiaciriani.com/rx7/oil_filter_study/

Since the guy has taken Champion and Mobile 1 filters apart, I trust his judgment.

That being said, I agree entirely with your contention that Amsoil (Baldwin) or Hastings filters (of any kind, not just oil) are the best out there. That is what my research has yielded me.

I appreciate your contributing your experience on this, and for showing others the best way to have a discussion is to have knowledge.
Old 10-12-2001, 01:06 PM
I'm needing a caw

Bill with a NICE post?!?!?!

[Jeffy passes out for about 10 minutes...*thud*]
Old 10-12-2001, 01:09 PM

Originally posted by Jeff92se
Bill with a NICE post?!?!?!

[Jeffy passes out for about 10 minutes...*thud*]

Ignorance/stupidity = "mean" post

Intelligent/logical = "nice" post

Given that 90% of my posts aren't "nice", I'll just let everyone figure out what that means.....
Old 10-12-2001, 01:14 PM

Thanks Bill,
And keep up the good work. I have enjoyed reading your research as it is very informative. Now lets get back tho the flame throwing.
Old 10-12-2001, 01:23 PM

Thanks Bill,
And keep up the good work. I have enjoyed reading your research as it is very informative. Now lets get back tho the flame throwing.

Contrary to popular belief, I prefer not to flame. However, my "position" here dictates its necessity......

BTW, here is another "promising" study recently done:

http://www.ntpog.org/reviews/filters/filters.shtml

This appears to confirm that Bosch is brand labeled by Champion as well, since it is "very similar" to the STP filter.....
Old 10-12-2001, 03:35 PM
Licensed to Spell

May I...

What about the original question? Which is the best synthetic to buy? :o)
Old 10-12-2001, 03:38 PM

i have no idea
Old 10-12-2001, 07:57 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

i have no idea
bill99gxe, Any idea on spreadsheet update? What are your feelings on ULX-110? Keep up the good work!!!!
Old 10-13-2001, 05:39 PM
KCTYPHOON

once again i have a stupid question to ask of all the "supreme beings".. if you, along with your "tag-a-long", members feel that questions such as these are a waste of time for you to answer them, why do you devote more time and effort in them putting people down rather then just moving on? if you are above questions such as these, why not just ignore the post? as for the "tag-a-longs", who defend their leader saying "he is just tired of HAVING to answer stupid questions", no... he DOES NOT have to answer any questions, he DOES NOT have come in here with guns blazing trying his best to belittle people, and he DOES not have to come in here discriminating against new members that have questions. explain to me how this benefits the board in any way? all it does is make newer members feel afraid to ask questions and participate. which in the long run keeps more members from joining, and that makes us all suffer.
also explain to me how his simple question wasted anyones time? dont you think if you wasted any time it was in your efforts to continuely(spelling?) badger him along with members that also feel you are doing so? is it possible that the big "newbie" tag that you all attack is there because he does not yet know the best way to use the board? mabye he didnt notice the "sticky" posts. mabye he didnt know exactly know what kind of information was in them. but instead of one person just pionting that out in a civl manner, the poor guy gets stoned to death!! i think it is obvious that the number of members that feel this getting out of hand is growing and its crazy that the moderators and long time members sink to this level. disgusting actually. if all you people feel this way, than you might as well close the 4th generation forum. because every question, statement and experience with products can be found on here countless times.
i think we should all be encouraging new members to participate and ask whatever questions they have, however simple or redundant it may be. thats what we are all here for, to help each other. every member in her started out blind not knowing much about that can be done to their car, but slowly we became educated and flourished from everyones help and posts. if you feel you should be flaming him, why not flame all the posts of people giving their opinion on the fstb they just installed? or the intake they just put on? flaming people on here defeats the purpose of this forum, and like i said earlier, in the long run we will all suffer as new members are afraid to participate. just my opinions people, and no one in here should feel afraid to speak up when they are attacked, even to the moderators. aint that right bill??

Old 10-13-2001, 09:49 PM

KOnstantin, big thank you!

You said it very sharply that if bill99gxe does not like, he should ignored this post and mind his own bussiness where he should have done so long time ago. He chose instead of it to bang me? Like he does not have anything else to do? Go clean your house? Do something usefull on your car? Wash it?

Have fun!

Enough of flames!

Peace!
Old 10-13-2001, 10:22 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Bill tried to help.

It's not his fault that you couldn't understand the spreadsheet or the information that was provided.

Maybe instead of listening to people that don't know what they are talking about, you should listen to people that have spent their own money finding ways to save you money. Do something useful on your car? Motor oil isn't important?

Maybe what brand bulb to put into your sidemarker is? Or how about how to make a Maxima sound like a V8? Or vinyl on taillights?

KOnstantin, big thank you!

You said it very sharply that if bill99gxe does not like, he should ignored this post and mind his own bussiness where he should have done so long time ago. He chose instead of it to bang me? Like he does not have anything else to do? Go clean your house? Do something usefull on your car? Wash it?

Have fun!

Enough of flames!

Peace!
Old 10-13-2001, 11:20 PM
KCTYPHOON

clee.. but the point is, this can be done without the sarcasim and snide remarks. aside from the sticky posts, bill's longest and most time invested posts are devoted to bashing. he spends alot of time coping and pasting to pick apart what other people wrote, attacks it sentence by sentence for the sole purpose of degrading that person, and then complains about how the thread has wasted his time?? how is this helping anyone or anything?? explain this to me..
and before you say this didnt invlove me bill, i dont remeber the post reading "attention bill". he didnt ask you directly, and if you felt you were above this question, you should have just moved on.

Old 10-14-2001, 08:03 AM

Originally posted by KCTYPHOON
clee.. but the point is, this can be done without the sarcasim and snide remarks. aside from the sticky posts, bill's longest and most time invested posts are devoted to bashing. he spends alot of time coping and pasting to pick apart what other people wrote, attacks it sentence by sentence for the sole purpose of degrading that person, and then complains about how the thread has wasted his time?? how is this helping anyone or anything?? explain this to me..
The point is, most of you don't want to think for yourselves when information is staring you in the face, want to blame others for your own stupid actions, or refuse to do an ounce of research to see if just maybe someone has actually answered the same exact question before. The "world revolves around me, its center of axis and everyone should bow and answer my question for the millionth time attitude" is a surefire way to get all the contributors to leave a forum and to leave all the ignorance out there to grow.

Thinking before posting is a good way to avoid that.

and before you say this didnt invlove me bill, i dont remeber the post reading "attention bill". he didnt ask you directly, and if you felt you were above this question, you should have just moved on.
Yes, but you took the first shot with the personal attack at me. I will defend myself each and every time you decide to be an ***. You took the first shot, not me (but this is a pattern with you that can easily be proven). All would have been fine if you had tried answering the post in the first place rather than taking a personal shot at myself and others. You are doing the same thing you claim SHOULDN'T be done in the first place. Once again, that makes you a hypocrite.

After many days and weeks of building and working hard on stickies and someone asks an infantile question such as "Duh, what oil should I use?", it's equivalent to being kicked in the groin for no reason. It's flat out disrespectful. So, my responses won't usually contain much respect either.
Old 10-14-2001, 02:45 PM
KCTYPHOON

mabye you should just walk away as the moderator if its so frustrating to you.. and all i did was come to the defense of the new guy which you see as easy prey. and i will conitue to do so for the simple and utter fact that i do not like the way you handle business in here. i dont like you bill, this much is obvious, and you will not intimidate me in here as you do others. i may have taken the first shot at you, but you took the first shot at a fellow member of mine. your actions dont go unoticed, and your doing a fine job acting as the forum bully. do a search on every question you see in here. your gonna tell me that EVERYTHING hasnt been covered?? dont you think its a little easier to just ask a question and someone of good will give you an answer if he knows it rather than spend an hour or two searching hundered of posts? isnt that the piont in here? to communicate between one another? you should have just moved on.. your wasting your own time because you like to belittle people, dont blame it on others. lastly, dont come down on me for defending someone. we are all here to help one another. your research and efforts dont go unappreciated, but the badgering does not help any of us.

Old 10-14-2001, 03:21 PM

mabye you should just walk away as the moderator if its so frustrating to you.. and all i did was come to the defense of the new guy which you see as easy prey. and i will conitue to do so for the simple and utter fact that i do not like the way you handle business in here. i dont like you bill, this much is obvious, and you will not intimidate me in here as you do others. i may have taken the first shot at you, but you took the first shot at a fellow member of mine. your actions dont go unoticed, and your doing a fine job acting as the forum bully. do a search on every question you see in here. your gonna tell me that EVERYTHING hasnt been covered?? dont you think its a little easier to just ask a question and someone of good will give you an answer if he knows it rather than spend an hour or two searching hundered of posts? isnt that the piont in here? to communicate between one another? you should have just moved on.. your wasting your own time because you like to belittle people, dont blame it on others. lastly, dont come down on me for defending someone. we are all here to help one another. your research and efforts dont go unappreciated, but the badgering does not help any of us.
I second you to vote to remove Bill99GXE as our modertaor, he is a BULLY who will attack anyone who does not act the way he wants!

Anyone would like to kick Bill99GXE as moderator?
Old 10-14-2001, 03:38 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

dont you think its a little easier to just ask a question and someone of good will give you an answer if he knows it rather than spend an hour or two searching hundered of posts? isnt that the piont in here? to communicate between one another?
I'm sure Bill will have a better response to the rest of your post, so I'm just going to address this point. Read the very first response Bill posted. It wasn't telling cooler2000 to do a search. In fact, he linked a specific post that provided all the information that was needed.

And what's wrong with searching? It's amazing to me how lazy some people are. It's easier to post a question and let someone answer and think for you instead of looking and researching for the answer yourself. How did you people write your papers in school? I shudder to think.