4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Extrude Honed Intake???

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-2000, 11:15 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Could someone please try to explain what this is exactly in English please.I kind of understand it but not realy.I read instructions on how to do it but it did not realy seem to explain what you were doing rather how to do it.One other question is this very hard to do or could someone who is pretty good with there hands like my self be able to do it if I reserved a weekend?Thanks for any and all input.
Old 11-01-2000, 06:02 AM
Disco Biscuit

It's not something you can do at home.

It's done on a special(read ex$pen$ive!) machine that basiclly sand blasts the inner chambers of the intake. I got an estimate one time of around $600 and it only adds a couple hp IF that. Get an ECU. You'll feel it a lot more...
Old 11-01-2000, 06:13 AM
The missing moderator

Re: It's not something you can do at home.

Originally posted by Whitemax
It's done on a special(read ex$pen$ive!) machine that basiclly sand blasts the inner chambers of the intake. I got an estimate one time of around $600 and it only adds a couple hp IF that. Get an ECU. You'll feel it a lot more...
Etrude hone is a process in which an abrassive clay material is pushed through, in this case, your intake mannifold - no sandblasting involved actually. This abbrasiv clay will smooth out any roughness and irregularity in your intake manifold. The idea is to promote a better air flow. In some cars, it helps a lot. In the maxima, it doesn't help that much if at all.

This is *not* something you can do at home, unless you have an extrude hone machine.

-Shing
Old 11-01-2000, 06:25 AM

Does anyone know what the difference is between the Extrude process and porting/polishing the intake manifold, and the cost involved with porting?
Old 11-01-2000, 06:27 AM
The missing moderator

Originally posted by maxfreak_98
Does anyone know what the difference is between the Extrude process and porting/polishing the intake manifold, and the cost involved with porting?
Porting is basically port matching. sometimes the size of the intake manny opening does not match up the opening to the head. Port matching well make them the same, helping air flow. Polishing... not sure about dat... but I imagine is it polishing of the head, such as the intake ports and exhaust ports. All these things are labor intensive thus high cost(relatively speaking).

-Shing
Old 11-01-2000, 07:29 AM
Keven97SE

The Extrude Honed intake is a pure waste of money on the Maxima. I have it on my 97 If you want some gains, install the 5th gen manifold on your 4th gen...you'll need to be creative for parts of the install. The 5th gen uses a variable capacity intake plenum, which changes the resonance frequency of the intake, tailoring it for high rpm as well as low rpms.

You'll gain a bunch of torque past 5000 rpm (not much, if any at lower rpms and peak torque rpm, though), but the high rpm torque boost will increase HP by 20 or more. Torque gains past 5000 are right where the 4th gen needs it, and you'll really bring down your 1/4 mi times.

The #1 power increase on the 5th gens comes from that intake manifold. All the other changes to the engine over the 4th gen (neato muffler, fuel routing changes, intake filter box, etc), are minor changes and mainly support the gains from the intake manfold.

Old 11-01-2000, 08:01 AM

Originally posted by Keven97SE
... ... If you want some gains, install the 5th gen manifold on your 4th gen... ... ...
Even if the 5Gen manifold fits (and I'm not sure it will) you will need a 5Gen Engine Control Module (the computer) to operate it. You're talking serious money here!
Old 11-01-2000, 08:50 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Intake or Engine

Why not just take a 5th Gen Engine and drop it in a 4th Gen body?? That would be SO awesome!!

DW

98 SE 5 speed, FSTB, RSB,RT Cat, CAI

Originally posted by Daniel B. Martin
... ... If you want some gains, install the 5th gen manifold on your 4th gen... ... ...
Even if the 5Gen manifold fits (and I'm not sure it will) you will need a 5Gen Engine Control Module (the computer) to operate it. You're talking serious money here!
Old 11-01-2000, 08:52 AM

The 5th gen's intake manifold won't fit on a 4th gen. It turns out Nissan changed the cylinder head design abit, so the intake ports of the 4th gen's cylinder head won't line up with a 5th gen manifold. I'm just gonna drop a 5th gen motor into my 99 when the time comes..

The Extrude Honed intake is a pure waste of money on the Maxima. I have it on my 97 If you want some gains, install the 5th gen manifold on your 4th gen...you'll need to be creative for parts of the install. The 5th gen uses a variable capacity intake plenum, which changes the resonance frequency of the intake, tailoring it for high rpm as well as low rpms.

You'll gain a bunch of torque past 5000 rpm (not much, if any at lower rpms and peak torque rpm, though), but the high rpm torque boost will increase HP by 20 or more. Torque gains past 5000 are right where the 4th gen needs it, and you'll really bring down your 1/4 mi times.

The #1 power increase on the 5th gens comes from that intake manifold. All the other changes to the engine over the 4th gen (neato muffler, fuel routing changes, intake filter box, etc), are minor changes and mainly support the gains from the intake manfold.
Old 11-01-2000, 09:08 AM
I'm needing a caw

Well for just the install's argument sake. Usually the intake manifold is two pieces(upper/lower) As long as the upper manifolds line up exactly, then it would work. The lower manifold piece is the one that lines up w/ the heads.

Originally posted by La Jolla Max
The 5th gen's intake manifold won't fit on a 4th gen. It turns out Nissan changed the cylinder head design abit, so the intake ports of the 4th gen's cylinder head won't line up with a 5th gen manifold. I'm just gonna drop a 5th gen motor into my 99 when the time comes..

Old 11-01-2000, 10:45 AM

hey, how about just dropping in engines from the new pathfinder?

anyways, there is this web-site I've been told to go and look.
its http://www.car-part.com

has yards out there and I searched for a 5th gen engine and also a pathfinder engine...hum, cheaper than a supercharger...NA baby!