4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

AHHHH fixed my trunk rattle!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-2001, 05:59 PM

AHHHH fixed my trunk rattle!!!!

i finally found the cause of my anoying rattle! its in the trunk lid itself. You will have to pull down the carpeting to get at this are easier. Look at the latch mechanism, there is a black plastic cover over it, pull this off. That reveals a 10mm bolt right in the middle. Make sure that is snug. Second shake/move that small bar around in there, you will probably here that it seems loose. Solution, take a piece of cloth and wrap up that section and use some dynamat and put a few pieces on the inside of the lid right where that small bar touches metal. This got rid of a rattle that haunted my car for the past 2years
I can finally drive in peace and quiet. think im gonna get a beer and celebrate

hope this helps anyone else out with their rattles
Old 10-13-2001, 07:32 PM

My trunk lid seemed like it was savaged despite the $8000 damage rear end problem it had to it a month ago. Hopefully it'll still be as dead as ever with all the sound deadener I sprayed back there .. If not, this is the first thing I'll do Thanks, any tip on killing rattles is a good one. If only there was an easy one like this for the rear deck.
Old 10-13-2001, 08:40 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

i sprayed some "Great Stuff" back there.. its a polyurethane foam sealant, i bought it at lowes and it was about 4 bucks a bottle..
Old 10-13-2001, 10:43 PM

Hmmm...I guess I will have to check this one mine and see if it takes my rattling out. ALOT of my rattling comes from my spoiler, its not connected at teh ends anymore
Old 10-13-2001, 11:04 PM

use a sponge, it works
Old 10-13-2001, 11:06 PM

I'm going to check this out tomorrow, granted the rain stops. It's quite annoying when you turn your music off and that rattle lingers around for about a half of second.

K
Old 10-13-2001, 11:27 PM

i actually removed all of the expand-foam stuff that i had sprayed in the trunk lid. It actually pops open when i hit the trunk release button!! i even took off all the dynamat i used too, about no joke 20lbs of it. Next up is removing the dynamat from the rear deck lid and throwing in some 6x9's for a lil umph in the back

i may even strip the tint while im at it, i need a new look for my car, plus its turning a lil purple on me.
Old 05-23-2010, 03:38 PM

8.5-year bump: I was tightening the 10mm bolt mentioned in the first post when it sheared in half in the middle. I wasn't tightening it that hard, but maybe the bolt had gone brittle or something, Anyway, now I have a snapped bolt halfway in the hole and the lever arm is no longer attached. Is it safe to close the trunklid? I think that what's no longer attached is the lever for the keyhole, but does the pop button somehow actuate that lever or does it work from the bottom half of the latch? If it's the bottom half, then I can close the trunk and deal with this tomorrow. Otherwise, I have to drive around with the trunk open and go hunt down a solution.

Also, any advice for getting out the half-bolt that's quite firmly sitting inside the hole? Here's a picture of what I'm talking about:

You can see the sheared bolt inside it. I don't know what's holding it on the other side but it feels like a square nut.

Last edited by j-dawg; 05-23-2010 at 03:44 PM.
Old 05-26-2010, 10:14 AM

I gotta check this out also!
Old 05-26-2010, 11:11 AM

Well, since it's been bumped anyway: if anyone is interested (or snaps the same bolt), it turns out there's no nut on the other side; it's a threaded bracket behind the white spacer. I grabbed the spacer with some pliers and twisted it, and the other half of the bolt came right out.

I tossed another bolt in there and called it a day, but I still have the rattle. Since I recently bought quieter tires, I can't stop hearing it now and it's diving me nuts. I'm pretty sure it's the lid itself bouncing up and down because I ear a similar noise just pressing down on the lid and releasing it. Is it possible to just move the whole latch assembly up in the trunklid by a few mm? That might tighten the lid down and maybe reduce vibrations - I have all four rubber grommets on the lid, so if they were compressed a little more maybe they would resist bouncing around. I'll try it and post how it turns out.
Old 05-26-2010, 12:31 PM

Make sure your jack is in there tight. That can cause an annoying rattle.
Old 05-30-2010, 11:41 PM

As far as the jack is concerned, I stuck it in its little holder and opened it so it was tight against them. I may actually need pliers to get it out if I ever get a flat, lol.

Originally Posted by j-dawg
I'm pretty sure it's the lid itself bouncing up and down because I ear a similar noise just pressing down on the lid and releasing it. Is it possible to just move the whole latch assembly up in the trunklid by a few mm? That might tighten the lid down and maybe reduce vibrations - I have all four rubber grommets on the lid, so if they were compressed a little more maybe they would resist bouncing around. I'll try it and post how it turns out.
For future reference: this works. I loosened the two 10mm bolts (silver) underneath the cover and slid the latch itself up by about 2mm in the trunk lid and tightened, which took out some of the slack.

There was still a little bounce, though, so I loosened adjusted the ring to which the latch attaches, also by loosening two silver 10mm bolts. Be careful when you adjust this - it moves up and down as well as side to side, so you can misalign it, and if you move it too much you may not be able to open the trunk - the latch will close, but the friction will be too much for the electric popper solenoid to overcome and you will have to use th ekey to get it open again.

I moved the ring down until there was no slack in the lid - it does not budge at all when I push on it, and though I haven't driven it 'cause it's like 1.30am, I expect my trunk lid rattle to be gone. As a side bonus, my taillights are now in perfect alignment. Downside - it's a little stiffer to open. I'd say it's a fair price to pay.

Last edited by j-dawg; 05-30-2010 at 11:43 PM.