4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

do thieves try stealing Bose system on the GLE

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-2000, 12:53 PM
ascan

I'm live in NYC and am interested in purchasing a Maxima GLE. But I'm worried about parking outside. Do thieves have a knack for trying to steal the Bose systems in the GLE's.

Old 11-01-2000, 01:06 PM
Disco Biscuit

Not unless they need one themselves.(usually!)

Only time I've seen OEM stuff stolen is when someone's out parts shoppin' on the street. I have my Corolla broken into once just to steal the 2nd din tape deck. Left the radio.
Old 11-01-2000, 04:18 PM

no

The bose car stereo system is very overated. If you notice you cannot buy a bose car stereo system from best buy or circuit city, but can buy a home theather system for your house. The reasoning for that is that bose makes very good home theather system, so there is a demand for it so you can buy it in stores. There is very little demand for a bose systems in cars, this is simply because they are not that good. They are probably one of the best stock stereo systems that can come in a car, but when compared to the competetion like pioneer, diamond audio, or any of the others, bose is simply not that great after all. So in conclusion theft of the bose head unit in my opinion would be rare. Also the size is a double-din, and double-din's are not stolen as much because for the most part only foreign cars can hold a double din head unit. If you have a single din head unit you can put it in a single or double din slot.

Note #1: More american car companies are putting double din slots in because people seem to like them more, and because of the extra space that is now needed with screen's for watching movies and navigation systems.

Note #2: Bose sells their car stereo systems only to car manufactors, those car manufactors ( nissan is one of them ) only buy them on the assumption that it will help them sell more cars, because a 'Bose Stereo System' is included.

-nate
96 se
Old 11-01-2000, 04:25 PM

Originally posted by ascan
I'm live in NYC and am interested in purchasing a Maxima GLE. But I'm worried about parking outside. Do thieves have a knack for trying to steal the Bose systems in the GLE's.
I wouldn't think so, since it only fits on Maximas and the head unit doesn't even have its own amplifier, so it won't work in too many other cars.

If anything, thieves break into cars nowaways to steal single din stereos, airbags, or to take the car for a joyride.
Old 11-01-2000, 06:25 PM
Ad·min·is·tra·tor

bose or no bose if they want something they will break in your car. go get a quality alarm. better be safe than to be sorry.
Dan

Old 11-01-2000, 06:32 PM

no one in their right mind would attempt to steal the bose. why? well the max is one of the hardest vehicle to even attempt to take the head unit out. but doesn't mean the risk is no there. but the chances are like less than 1 out 10 max with bose will be jacked for their radio.
Old 11-01-2000, 08:13 PM
Meth101

I think your BOSE system would be safe, but I would reconsider getting the BOSE becuase if you ever want to change out your audio system with an aftermarket head unit and speakers, it would cost a butt load of money because of all the factory amps and stuff, unless you know how to do all the installation, get the bose, otherwise in my opinion I would get an aftermarket audio system.

-Meth

Old 11-02-2000, 06:51 AM
Wayne

I agree with DanNY. I uses to live in NY and I've learned that they'll steal any thing that they car get there hands on I had my old 88 max broken in to for my radar! they didnt even take the hole thing the wires where ran behind the dash so just the radar showed. They broke the window and pull the radar out. oh took some tapes also.

Old 11-02-2000, 07:27 AM
Ad·min·is·tra·tor

forget the radar..a friend got his jacket stolen from his car!! if they like how your bose looks they will get it. the harder you make it for them the more damage you'll get..(ie prying hard to get it out..cracking the dash..etc etc). there's nothing that's thief proof....hopefully a alarm will deter them.
Dan

Originally posted by Wayne
I agree with DanNY. I uses to live in NY and I've learned that they'll steal any thing that they car get there hands on I had my old 88 max broken in to for my radar! they didnt even take the hole thing the wires where ran behind the dash so just the radar showed. They broke the window and pull the radar out. oh took some tapes also.
Old 11-02-2000, 07:35 AM

How would it be hard for a thief to take your Bose?

If you're taking it out yourself you're gonna be careful and take your time. But if a thief were to do it they'd just tear out the piece around shifter, yank the ashtray out, yank the A/C vents out unscrew four screws and yank the headunit out. Nothing is too hard to steal if they know what to do.

Originally posted by Yellowbrother
no one in their right mind would attempt to steal the bose. why? well the max is one of the hardest vehicle to even attempt to take the head unit out. but doesn't mean the risk is no there. but the chances are like less than 1 out 10 max with bose will be jacked for their radio. [/I]
[Edited by DavidL7 on 11-02-2000 at 10:10 AM]
Old 11-02-2000, 07:46 AM
Ad·min·is·tra·tor

yeah yeah..nice try doug...
the honda is not a ISO mount so there's no metal bracket if it's aftermkt unit. so it's only a metal sleeve. that's a piece of cake!
Dan

Originally posted by doug
actually the max is one of the easiest to take out the head unit... from all the cars I have dealt with .. honda's geo's etc.. the max was the easiest..

Originally posted by Yellowbrother
no one in their right mind would attempt to steal the bose. why? well the max is one of the hardest vehicle to even attempt to take the head unit out. but doesn't mean the risk is no there. but the chances are like less than 1 out 10 max with bose will be jacked for their radio.
Old 11-02-2000, 07:25 PM
Conecarver

I had somebody swipe one of my Nissan fog lamps in broad daylight in a big parking lot. Unscrewed the bolts, unplugged the darn thing and walked away.

$100 from the dealer for the part

Some chop shop must've had a backorder or something
Old 11-02-2000, 08:03 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Dude, you got ripped! Its only like 65 dollars for the lamp.. =P

ZuM

Originally posted by BEJAY1
I had somebody swipe one of my Nissan fog lamps in broad daylight in a big parking lot. Unscrewed the bolts, unplugged the darn thing and walked away.

$100 from the dealer for the part

Some chop shop must've had a backorder or something
Old 11-02-2000, 08:32 PM

If the thief wants it then, they'll break into your car whether you got an alarm or not. Got my driver side window shattered 'cuz they wanted my panasonic deck. I even got an alarm. Then, I saw the punk ran off without the deck. Dumb amaters!! Pisses me off. It's payback time, next time I see him in his ride! What goes around comes around! That's all I got to say.
Old 11-03-2000, 09:31 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

NO, BOSE aint' that bad (Rather legnthly)

Uh . .Nforg, I say no to your No.

Bose Car systems are pretty damn good for the car. Is after market better?? Yes and no. One thing I find lacking in aftermarket systems, and this is where BOSE has a distinct advantage, is that the systems produced by Pioneer, JBL etc are not customized for your vehicle. It's undertstandable, when you buy the JVC XL-758 receiver it may go into a Dodge caravan or a Maxima, who knows where its going. Subsequently, JVC cannot customize the sound characteristic for your vehicle. Well, they probably can, but the politics of entering a strategic partnership etc would have to happen, like BOSE did. With a Bose system ,Bose engineers went in and customized the sound system to take best advantage of the acoustic properties of the cars it is going into. The Bose system inside a Mercedes is not the same as the Bose system in an Acura is not the same system as the Bose system in a Maxima, and that's great!
That's the No part.
As for the yes part, if you buy an aftermarket system, you'll wind up with better quality, more bang for the buck etc, but YOU have to customize it for your car. Most people, including myself sometime ago, would buy speakers, amp etc, and put it all together. It would sound nice, powerfull etc, but still would be missing that part that comes from custom acousitc. I guess I'm a bit of an audiophile,its not so much how much bass/treble/SPLs a system can produce, but simply a case of how it makes everything sound good. Deep bass, crystal treble, and clear vocals all play their part, and with a BOSE system, I can get all that with my tone controls left flat. To me that's a real test of how good a system is, listen to it with no added bass, no loudness etc. I only add some bass or treble to a sound soucre that REALLY needs it, and with todays' CDs, that's not often. The tone control are there only to enhance an already good sounding system, not to fix it. If you're compensating with your tone controls, then your system just ain't good, no matter what you do to it.

As for the BOSE system for the home, I don't look at it's appeal simply as a measure of how I can get it at mainstreeam consumer channels like the stores you mentioned. My home system is not BOSE. BOSE is ok for the home. I'll leave it at that.

Note 1. Agree, the radio is probably just going to get bigger and bigger. The variety of audio features available today are totally enormous. Shall I MP3, CD,DVD, or Minidisc it today?? I think we're over-loaded with options these days.

Note 2. The bose system does make the apeeal for the car greater.

Note 3. My own addition. I just found out that the Lexus LS 430 comes with an optional Nakamichi sound system. Do you know how good THAT must sound?? Not only b/c it's a Nakamichi system, but also b/c Nakamichi designed it just for the LS 430. I wish they made one for my Maxima!!

DW

Originally posted by nforg
The bose car stereo system is very overated. If you notice you cannot buy a bose car stereo system from best buy or circuit city, but can buy a home theather system for your house. The reasoning for that is that bose makes very good home theather system, so there is a demand for it so you can buy it in stores. There is very little demand for a bose systems in cars, this is simply because they are not that good. They are probably one of the best stock stereo systems that can come in a car, but when compared to the competetion like pioneer, diamond audio, or any of the others, bose is simply not that great after all. So in conclusion theft of the bose head unit in my opinion would be rare. Also the size is a double-din, and double-din's are not stolen as much because for the most part only foreign cars can hold a double din head unit. If you have a single din head unit you can put it in a single or double din slot.

Note #1: More american car companies are putting double din slots in because people seem to like them more, and because of the extra space that is now needed with screen's for watching movies and navigation systems.

Note #2: Bose sells their car stereo systems only to car manufactors, those car manufactors ( nissan is one of them ) only buy them on the assumption that it will help them sell more cars, because a 'Bose Stereo System' is included.

-nate
96 se
Old 11-03-2000, 10:42 AM

My father had the Nakamichi in his old SC400. It was pretty sweet.
Old 11-03-2000, 01:27 PM

i got my aftermarket radio stolen and.....

since insurance wouln't pay for my aftermarket stuff i told them that my bose was stolen..LET THEM STEAL IT!!!! i got $1766.00 for my bose system from insurance..i made off 10X's better than i initially thought..hehe..my aftermarket head unit was only $550.00
Old 11-04-2000, 10:41 AM

Re: NO, BOSE aint' that bad (Rather legnthly)

If KLH (The worst producer of speakers for everything, no debate) were to customize a stereo system for a maxima or neon or whatever, it would still suck. Now it would probably sound a little better vs. if they sold a aftermarket system at best buy, but never the less it would still be awful. Also just because it's "customized" for the car, doesn't mean quality was the only factor, in fact ( imo ) in the world of business, it's a very small factor, money is the #1 factor. As you'll notice the bose system's in maxima's used to have the tweeter seperate from the actual speaker and in the front they were located on the dash on the right and left sides, now some (actually everyone) would say this would help with the overall quality of sound, I would agree. Well then why as years progressed did they move the tweeter from that area, to the speaker. The reasoning behind that is financial costs. It costs more to produce and install the speaker and the tweeter, rather than to just have a nice little cheap all in one speaker and tweeter package. So just because it's "customized" doesn't mean it's any better in quality. Also the locations of the speakers are nothing fantastic either, in fact you can tell they were put there not because it had the greatest quality of sound, but because it was easiest which makes it cheapest. Two speakers behind the back seats ( how orginial ), very easy to install. And two in the lower area of the door so that the sound is projected towards your feet. Now with that " custom " installation they just contradicted themselves. They're saying if your sitting in the front the music will sound best if it's aimed towards your feet, but if your sitting in the back, they're saying well it will sound better if the sound is projected towards your ears. Now I understand bose has this thing about having the sound project in the opposite direction and quality will be better that way ( bose 901's ( highest and most powerful speakers they make ) 90% of the sound is projected towards the wall and only 10% to where you stand ), I mean really great engineering. Now you would have some point to argue there if they had installed two speakers in the back at the feet of those people, and then had the speakers facing the rear windshield amplified at a lower volume level, then you would have a nice agruement, but they didn't do that, and I bet everyone can guess why, $$$. Also bose does install the exact same model ( for the year it is ) in all of the cars that they are installed in, so truly only the locations are " customized " for quality, which as I said above, completly contradicts itself. Unless you were to say that they made the stereo only for the people sitting in the front, but then that wouldn't really be much of a " customazation" for a family sedan now would it. Also bose stereo system is a selling point for the car, if you notice dealerships normally don't forget to add that to the features on the window sticker of the car, and if a salesman were to approach you he will almost most definatly mention that. If you still don't believe me, ask people on this forum who have upgraded their stereo to an after-market. I bet you don't find 1 person who says they want to switch back to "Customzied Bose Stereo System".

-Nate
96 SE

[QUOTE]Originally posted by dwapenyi
[I]Uh . .Nforg, I say no to your No.

Bose Car systems are pretty damn good for the car. Is after market better?? Yes and no. One thing I find lacking in aftermarket systems, and this is where BOSE has a distinct advantage, is that the systems produced by Pioneer, JBL etc are not customized for your vehicle. It's undertstandable, when you buy the JVC XL-758 receiver it may go into a Dodge caravan or a Maxima, who knows where its going. Subsequently, JVC cannot customize the sound characteristic for your vehicle. Well, they probably can, but the politics of entering a strategic partnership etc would have to happen, like BOSE did. With a Bose system ,Bose engineers went in and customized the sound system to take best advantage of the acoustic properties of the cars it is going into. The Bose system inside a Mercedes is not the same as the Bose system in an Acura is not the same system as the Bose system in a Maxima, and that's great!
That's the No part.
As for the yes part, if you buy an aftermarket system, you'll wind up with better quality, more bang for the buck etc, but YOU have to customize it for your car. Most people, including myself sometime ago, would buy speakers, amp etc, and put it all together. It would sound nice, powerfull etc, but still would be missing that part that comes from custom acousitc. I guess I'm a bit of an audiophile,its not so much how much bass/treble/SPLs a system can produce, but simply a case of how it makes everything sound good. Deep bass, crystal treble, and clear vocals all play their part, and with a BOSE system, I can get all that with my tone controls left flat. To me that's a real test of how good a system is, listen to it with no added bass, no loudness etc. I only add some bass or treble to a sound soucre that REALLY needs it, and with todays' CDs, that's not often. The tone control are there only to enhance an already good sounding system, not to fix it. If you're compensating with your tone controls, then your system just ain't good, no matter what you do to it.

As for the BOSE system for the home, I don't look at it's appeal simply as a measure of how I can get it at mainstreeam consumer channels like the stores you mentioned. My home system is not BOSE. BOSE is ok for the home. I'll leave it at that.

Note 1. Agree, the radio is probably just going to get bigger and bigger. The variety of audio features available today are totally enormous. Shall I MP3, CD,DVD, or Minidisc it today?? I think we're over-loaded with options these days.

Note 2. The bose system does make the apeeal for the car greater.

Note 3. My own addition. I just found out that the Lexus LS 430 comes with an optional Nakamichi sound system. Do you know how good THAT must sound?? Not only b/c it's a Nakamichi system, but also b/c Nakamichi designed it just for the LS 430. I wish they made one for my Maxima!!

DW
Old 11-04-2000, 04:00 PM

NO one will try to take a bose...that's why I left my bose in my car and just added amps and subs to the back...even with my 17in Chrome Enkei's....someone might look in thinking that I've got something nice inside...nope, just a plain ol' bose....
Old 11-04-2000, 09:47 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

I hope not, considering how crappy the Bose is!!!
Old 11-05-2000, 11:28 PM

crappy or not in whoever's opinion...it serves it's purpose...clear treble. I let my subs add the bass. I won't replace the bose until it breaks....
Old 09-08-2008, 03:54 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

yes theives will go for anything that is worth something to them. I have a 2002 maxima with the navi and boss. my car was broken into last year. but the dummies couldn't steal the navi, so now i'm stuck with a broke navigation. If there is anyone out there that know of anyone selling the 02-03 Factory Navigation system & Bose head unit Please contact me ASAP! email: TalentedOne77@yahoo.com or IM Talentedone77@yahoo.com thank you

Nick
Old 09-08-2008, 04:02 PM

terrible bump
Old 09-08-2008, 04:06 PM
Administrator

Talk about bumping an old thread. Doesn't get much older than this one......

Nick, best advice to give you is to post a WTB ad in the classifieds section......
Old 09-08-2008, 04:22 PM

Originally Posted by hnic_infamous
yes theives will go for anything that is worth something to them. I have a 2002 maxima with the navi and boss. my car was broken into last year. but the dummies couldn't steal the navi, so now i'm stuck with a broke navigation. If there is anyone out there that know of anyone selling the 02-03 Factory Navigation system & Bose head unit Please contact me ASAP! email: TalentedOne77@yahoo.com or IM Talentedone77@yahoo.com thank you

Nick

Two things:

1. Wrong Forum
2. Thread is almost 8 years old!
Old 09-08-2008, 04:26 PM

wooow! this is old....
Old 09-08-2008, 07:05 PM

when will temp bans be issued for bumping old threads? we should have a poll with conditions and stuff
Old 09-08-2008, 07:10 PM

^excellent idea
Old 09-08-2008, 08:52 PM
Administrator

Originally Posted by QNO_A32

when will temp bans be issued for bumping old threads? we should have a poll with conditions and stuff
LOL

I don't mind when old threads get bumped as long as it's a valid cause. What kills me is when n00bs bump them and answer a question that was asked 5 years ago as if they're actually going to help that person with something.
Old 09-08-2008, 09:52 PM
No more Maximas...

Personally, I just think that all threads over a year old should be locked, and require that a new reply be approved by a mod.
Old 09-10-2008, 11:34 PM
What does that mean?

Originally Posted by pmohr
Personally, I just think that all threads over a year old should be locked, and require that a new reply be approved by a mod.
That's not a bad idea actually.
Old 09-11-2008, 12:06 AM
No more Maximas...

Originally Posted by DizzyEdge
That's not a bad idea actually.
I think it would cut down on most of the crap around these forums, and I've proposed it a few times, but...

Of course, if they need another mod to help out with that...