4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

ATTN: Daniel B. or anyone else....Please Help!!!!!!!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2001, 04:31 PM

ATTN: Daniel B. or anyone else....Please Help!!!!!!!!!!

I have 95 max and i just had my front brakes replaced at MIdas. After getting them changed, i didnt notice any improvement in braking so i took it back to them and they inspected it.

This is what they told me...they told me i need both rear calipers. Eventhough i have new pads in front, braking just sux. Well the way the guy from midas explaind me is there is some sort of rubber in caliper that does not go all the way in and this is causing brakes not to work. SO basically i think i have only front brakes working. They told me it would cost me around $600.00 to get this fixed. Funny thing is i only have 40k miles on my car and i bought it off an old lady when it had 35k so i know it wasnt driven hard.

Any input on this would be greatly appreciated...thanx in advance....
Old 10-17-2001, 04:41 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Good question... too bad I can't answer it, but as your friendly new moderator, just one request: For the love of pete, next time, put your problem as your topic!

"Brake problem after brake change"

or

"brakes don't feel any different even after putting in new brakes"

or anything else besides "Daniel B. or anyone else....Please Help!!!!!!!!!!"

Please, ok? Thank you.
Old 10-17-2001, 05:13 PM

mmmmm, let me begin with "I hate Midas". I think they are a bunch of ripoff artist. A female friend of mine took her GM car there once (15k miles). They told her that she needed new calipers and rotors because the rotors couldn't be turned. Too little material. I know for a fact that GM rotors are the thickest in the industry and can be turned dozens of times. To make a long story short, I told them to button everything back up, don't do anything. Back to you, the back brakes on front wheel drive cars do very little work. I have 70K on my I-30 and the rear pads are original. I would be more suspect that they screwed up the front brakes. I would try to take the car to another mechanic you can trust to check out the fronts. The rears very rarely go bad.
Old 10-17-2001, 05:18 PM
Member who somehow became The President of The SE-L Club

I don't think Midas is giving you the correct response to your problem.

You say your brakes are bad, how so? Do they not stop well? Is your pedal soft? Do they vibrate? If none of the above is true, then your brakes are just fine. If your looking to upgrade your brakes, a brake job will not do what your after.

A 95 max with 40K on it is a low milage car. I find it hard to believe that the calipers are bad. It is possible, but I highly doubt it. There are A LOT of things that effect brake performance. Tires are one thing, pads, even the fluid. Brake fluid absorbs water. Water is a no no in your brake system. Your fluid should be replaced by now. (car is 6 years old)

If midas used cheap pads, your not going to get good break performance.

Basically, I would NEVER let midas do a brake job on my car.
Go to a good mechanic and let him examine your entire braking system.
Old 10-17-2001, 05:29 PM

Just thought I'd through in my 2 cents - I just bought a 95 GLE w/ 58K on it. The previous/only owner of the car was told by Midas she had to have all of the rotors/calipers/pads replaced when she took it into them about 5 months ago when it had just over 50k. (I'm not sure how bad her breaks were when she took it in - may have been metal on metal at that point if the rotors had to go- who knows)

While Midas may do good work with warranties, etc, they are extremely expensive and I agree that you may save a lot of money by going to a local well known garage to have the work done/looked at.

Also, while researching used cars I wanted to buy, I did notice in consumer reports buying guides that maximas are shown to have average-below average break performance.

Good luck - let us know how it all turns out
Old 10-17-2001, 05:36 PM

one of my friends also has the same year car with little more miles than i do and he got his brakes replaced at midas too. His brakes work way better than mine. My padel is too soft and car doesnt stop on time. I dont notice any difference before and after i had my front pads changed. could they have f***** up the brake job? I am planning on taking my car to anoter machenic i dealt with b4...what u guys think my problem is...thanx ones again...
Old 10-17-2001, 06:14 PM

I agree with tai mai shu...bring it to a local macanic, tell them what midas did, let em look at it then get a printout of some sort...to show midan and tell them to fix whats wrong...it might be something as simple as not bleading the lines after the break job...or not putting enough fluid back in the system. It doesnt seem like bad pads...all pads work up to performance when you first install them...its the long lasting ones you pay more for

Old 10-17-2001, 06:14 PM

Re: ATTN: Daniel B. or anyone else....Please Help!!!!!!!!!!

Originally posted by 1Phat Max
I have 95 max and i just had my front brakes replaced at MIdas. After getting them changed, i didnt notice any improvement in braking so i took it back to them and they inspected it.

This is what they told me...they told me i need both rear calipers. Eventhough i have new pads in front, braking just sux. Well the way the guy from midas explaind me is there is some sort of rubber in caliper that does not go all the way in and this is causing brakes not to work. SO basically i think i have only front brakes working. They told me it would cost me around $600.00 to get this fixed. Funny thing is i only have 40k miles on my car and i bought it off an old lady when it had 35k so i know it wasnt driven hard.

Any input on this would be greatly appreciated...thanx in advance....
If you want to see if your rear brakes work, get your car on a down hill slop and stop. Put the car in nuetral, pull your E-Brake up and take your foot off the brake pedal. Now if your car rolls, this means your rear brakes do not work, if the car stays still your brakes are fine. I have trouble believing what Midas said, calipers don't just both break in pares, it's either one or none. To me it sounds like you have one of two problems. Either you have air in your brake system{my guess} or your brake system is not creating enough pressure. A lack of pressure can be contributed to a few things, most likely a leak in a brake line, or a bad master cylinder, or bad brake boosters{I think}.

I would bleed the brakes before I even thought about doing anything else. Good luck!

Clee, congrats on the promotion! Remeber to treat me good .
Old 10-17-2001, 07:02 PM

Re: Re: ATTN: Daniel B. or anyone else....Please Help!!!!!!!!!!

Originally posted by emax95

If you want to see if your rear brakes work, get your car on a down hill slop and stop. Put the car in nuetral, pull your E-Brake up and take your foot off the brake pedal. Now if your car rolls, this means your rear brakes do not work, if the car stays still your brakes are fine. I have trouble believing what Midas said, calipers don't just both break in pares, it's either one or none. To me it sounds like you have one of two problems. Either you have air in your brake system{my guess} or your brake system is not creating enough pressure. A lack of pressure can be contributed to a few things, most likely a leak in a brake line, or a bad master cylinder, or bad brake boosters{I think}.

I would bleed the brakes before I even thought about doing anything else. Good luck!

Clee, congrats on the promotion! Remeber to treat me good .
or u can try and do a burn out with ebrake, if u can't then yr rear brakes aren't working.
Old 10-17-2001, 07:19 PM

I do not like to generalize all Midas service centers, but from my experience, Midas is hopeless! If you just changed your pads at Midas, drove around the block and went back to the same Midas, I wouldn't be suprised if a tech there would tell you your brake pads were worn and needed to be replaced (if he didn't know you just got them done)!

When I bought my beater for $850, Midas told me I needed $800 in brake work done. I took it to my friend's trusted mechanic, and he showed me all my brake components and told me all I needed was front pads!!! That was a year ago, I just worked on my brakes last weekend, and the rotors, drums, pads, etc still look good (the car still runs good, go beaters). Midas can kiss my $800 goodbye!

Again, I do not want to generalize Midas, because IMO, they are all independent service centers under the Midas franchise. There must be at least one Midas center with a halo over their heads!

So ask around for a tech or shop that does imports, surely someone will recommend one. If not, hopefully you know someone who has the free Nissan inspection mailing offer for the month of October and get it checked at a Nissan service center for free. Nothing to lose

My 0.02