4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

95 maxx blowing massive fuel smoke out tailpipe

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-2007, 05:15 PM

95 maxx blowing massive fuel smoke out tailpipe

ok... the car ran fine, i got gas and drove 10 miles to work and parked the car. 9 hours later, it barely started and after it did it was bellowing raw smelling fuel smoke from the tailpipe. not a little bit, a cloud. no codes, i did the seafoam thing, inj. cleaner, swapped maf, swapped coils ( because i had a few extras ) now im thinking it could only be the pressure reg or one or more stuck injectors. i will do a leak down test soon. anything else i should try ? it is definatly raw fuel, not running rich like a sensor would cause. i think it's getting an overwhelming amount of fuel somehow.

thanx

Last edited by THEJEFFERATOR; 10-09-2007 at 05:26 PM.
Old 10-09-2007, 05:36 PM
No more Maximas...

Then it could be a clogged fuel return, faulty FPR, or injectors stuck wide open. Pull out the injectors and crank the car a few times, see if any of them are stuck open.
Old 10-09-2007, 05:47 PM

when i get the chance, i'll do the leak down test. that should prove the leaking injector possability ? id like to check what i can before pulling the top of the intake since pulling the injectors would only work on the front three. where does the fuel return system run to, directly to the tank or through any evap systems etc. ? thanx
Old 10-09-2007, 05:50 PM
No more Maximas...

Originally Posted by THEJEFFERATOR
when i get the chance, i'll do the leak down test. that should prove the leaking injector possability ? id like to check what i can before pulling the top of the intake since pulling the injectors would only work on the front three. where does the fuel return system run to, directly to the tank or through any evap systems etc. ? thanx
Well you won't lose compression through the injector, so a leakdown won't really tell you anything, unless the walls have been so washed down with fuel that the rings started gouging them up or something.

If your symptom is way too much fuel being delivered to the combustion chamber, why are you doing a leakdown?
Old 10-09-2007, 05:57 PM

sorry, guess i didnt specify... fuel pressure leakdown test, not compression. inserting a pressure guage inline between the fuel filter and the rail.... a rapid loss in pressure should indicate a leak somewhere in the path to each cylinder.
Old 10-09-2007, 06:04 PM
No more Maximas...

Originally Posted by THEJEFFERATOR
sorry, guess i didnt specify... fuel pressure leakdown test, not compression. inserting a pressure guage inline between the fuel filter and the rail.... a rapid loss in pressure should indicate a leak somewhere in the path to each cylinder.
Ah, gotcha. That should indeed point out the issue in short time. I believe fuel pressure should remain in the lines for a few hours after you turn the car off, so it will bleed down, but not quickly.
Old 10-09-2007, 06:17 PM

Yeah the FP will stay in the lines for quite a long time before it will dissapate, all of those who have done the fuel filter will know this LOL.. God i thought i emptied all the fuel out of the lines, but due to my lazyness i received about 70PSI of fuel in the face..yes it is as funny as it sounds..of course after the fact.

If you check the FP should very slowly go down, but it would probably takes hours on end.
Old 10-09-2007, 06:25 PM

Originally Posted by 96blkonblkse
Yeah the FP will stay in the lines for quite a long time before it will dissapate, all of those who have done the fuel filter will know this LOL.. God i thought i emptied all the fuel out of the lines, but due to my lazyness i received about 70PSI of fuel in the face..yes it is as funny as it sounds..of course after the fact.

If you check the FP should very slowly go down, but it would probably takes hours on end.
true,.... been there. if you saw the way this thing is dumping fuel, it shouldnt take long ! besides, between pulling the fuse and running it dry days ago and im banking on a big leak somewhere.... i shouldnt get wet !!!