4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

KS installation and Lower Core Support replacement in Chicago area

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2007, 10:07 AM

KS installation and Lower Core Support replacement in Chicago area

Hi There:

I have been a member of this forum and an avid gearhead for over 20 years. I have recently taken on the lower core support replacement on Maxihari77SE96's vehicle since I will have to replace mine in the spring or summer of 2008. The project was nicely outlined in alcatranz518's thread and I even learned a thing or two do doing it myself.

As practice and in preparation for replacing mine, I am offering to replace any local member's lower core support for $250.00 labor. I also have access to discounted OE factory replacement parts from a Nissan Dealer for a total of approximately $148.00. If you chose to reuse your bolts and rubber bushings it will be a little cheaper. If you want to pull a used support section from a parts car, I will gladly install it for you, but I make no guarantees against rust out. *** Keep in mind, Maxihari had a guy replace the low core support from a used car and that same piece rusted out completely within 15 months. I have the pictures to show you upon request.

For that labor price, you get the entire rusted, corroded section cut out and a brand new piece properly welded in place, along with a thorough undercoating of that entire and surrounding section. Plus, I will take step by step pictures for the member to see what exact work was performed from start to finish. Now is the time to get your ride driving the way it should and minimize the chances of damaging other parts, including your expensive motor mounts and hoses.

For this project, I will need to vehicle for 2 days over the weekend for complete teardown and replacement. The job will be performed at my home garage using professional tools. Maxihari dropped his car off on Sat a.m. and it was pretty much finished by the end of the day, but because his front end had been in a previous accident and the bumper sections were welded (not bolted) I spent extra time to cut them out. He picked his car up Sun a.m. and was back on the road again. Now, his car shifts smoother and there is no creaking metal on metal sound up front. Plus, the front cross member is in line again as it should be.

In addition, I will also install a member's KS for $50.00 labor without removing your intake manifold if you bring the car to my house and let it cool down for a few hours. If I travel to your place, I will only request a reasonable amount for gas/toll money. I believe I charged a member $15.00 to travel from my place in Downers Grove to Rogers Park. Although some members claim to be able to install their KS in 15 mins or less, I take the proper time to soak the bolts and hoses that I need to remove so that it minimizes the chance of breaking something and throwing a CEL. It will take me about an hour to 1 1/2 hours to do this job right. Once I install your new KS, you car will feel like a new car with nice pick up and especially the added bonus of increased mpg (miles per gallon). A replacement OEM Nissan KS can be purchased online for about $60.00 including shipping.

Granted I am simply supplying the labor on these jobs, while the members are responsible for obtaining the replacement parts. If anyone needs either of these jobs done and are located in the Chicagoland and nearby western suburbs, PM me and I will contact you promptly. My prices are not set in stone, but I believe they are fair for the amount of work involved. I have a nice garage, but the earlier you contact me the better -- I don't like to work in the winter!!

Hopefully I can help out a member or two from getting bent over at the shop for these jobs. Typical prices are $700-800 for lower core replacement, $250.00+ to replace the KS (most places will not replace this part w/o removing the entire IM, which leads to leaking gaskets and other issues).

I look forward to hearing some of you who have been putting these projects off for too long. Don't you miss the way your car drove when you first got it??

Take care,

Ted

Last edited by Tfvesquire; 10-12-2007 at 11:55 AM.
Old 10-12-2007, 07:07 PM

Too bad I just got my core support changed by auto body shop a month ago, I would have certainly have considered using your services. Seems like your prices are very reasonable. The main reason I did not do it myself was that I did not have welding equipment and do not know how to weld. Have changed my knock sensor already. Maybe you should also consider doing strut/spring jobs and axle change also. These are also jobs where if you do a couple you are pretty much an expert. Good Luck!
Old 10-12-2007, 08:28 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

I do jobs like this and alot more for .org members as well and I have some problems with this thread, and seeing as you've been on this forum for as long as me.......... Ummmm.........wtf, you should know better, wrong section. Regionals.

Old 10-12-2007, 08:45 PM

This is the first time I posted a thread for services. Sorry for not posting this in the right area.

It has been moved to the regional section.

Regards,

Ted
Old 10-12-2007, 08:56 PM

hey try.

www.chicagomaximaclub.net
Old 10-12-2007, 09:09 PM

^^^ done with 5 speed yet?
Old 10-12-2007, 10:06 PM

Hey wally whats going on..

Well i got her running last night.. the interior is still all jacked up but saturday morning im gonna finish her up... man its a totally different car now..

but yea so far so good i guess...