4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

WIRING TO BOOST SENSOR (AKA INTAKE TEMPERATURE SENSOR)

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2007, 11:43 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

I think he meant to say "WOT is open loop".

Other than that, very good info.
Old 10-20-2007, 04:43 AM

Originally Posted by mazzivart
A turbo/super charger?

So how?

damn Pmohr
Yup!
Old 10-20-2007, 04:49 AM
No more Maximas...

Originally Posted by mazzivart
A turbo/super charger?

So how?

damn Pmohr
?
Old 10-20-2007, 09:42 AM

Originally Posted by pmohr
?
Well, to be completely honest, I've been messing around with putting a high output case fan (Vantec Tornado, for you computer geeks out there) inside the air box. Works fine on the bottom inlet below the filter, but at the top outlet, it put out too much air for the MAF to handle. Like the car would not start.

Now, it might work if the fan came on only at WOT, or if I had a rheostat to control the fan speed...like maybe hooked to the throttle cable.

Anyway, I call it my "stupidcharger."

Got the idea looking at those weird electric "superchargers" some vendors sell on EBay. Those setups use a blower motor, but my little case fan puts out 119CFM, which is way more air than their blower motors.

I figured, for $20, it was worth experimenting with it.
Old 10-20-2007, 12:24 PM

?
You beat me to asking how...
Old 10-20-2007, 12:31 PM

Originally Posted by dr-rjp
Well, to be completely honest, I've been messing around with putting a high output case fan (Vantec Tornado, for you computer geeks out there) inside the air box. Works fine on the bottom inlet below the filter, but at the top outlet, it put out too much air for the MAF to handle. Like the car would not start.
The stock A32 MAF is good for 350 CHP (~297.5 WHP if you have a 5-speed) so it wasn't too much for the MAF to handle. It's because you were cooling the MAF hotwire more due to the increased velocity at idle. The ECU sensed this and added more fuel, but the engine wasn't swallowing as much air as the MAF suggested it was. Therefore the motor ran excessively rich.

Now, it might work if the fan came on only at WOT, or if I had a rheostat to control the fan speed...like maybe hooked to the throttle cable.

Anyway, I call it my "stupidcharger."

Got the idea looking at those weird electric "superchargers" some vendors sell on EBay. Those setups use a blower motor, but my little case fan puts out 119CFM, which is way more air than their blower motors.

I figured, for $20, it was worth experimenting with it.
No pressurization of air no care. At WOT, the intake manifold is pretty much at atmospheric pressure, so unless you can increase pressure above this point, you won't see any gains.
Old 10-23-2007, 08:15 AM

Originally Posted by nismology
The stock A32 MAF is good for 350 CHP (~297.5 WHP if you have a 5-speed) so it wasn't too much for the MAF to handle. It's because you were cooling the MAF hotwire more due to the increased velocity at idle. The ECU sensed this and added more fuel, but the engine wasn't swallowing as much air as the MAF suggested it was. Therefore the motor ran excessively rich.

No pressurization of air no care. At WOT, the intake manifold is pretty much at atmospheric pressure, so unless you can increase pressure above this point, you won't see any gains.
"Gains" in the sense that I consider it (which is "anything that improves the real-world smoothness and responsiveness of the car"), are not restricted to measurable increases in WHP or torque on a dyno. For example, when I use the fan I installed at the intake part of the air box, it results in noticeably less hesitation and smoother acceleration between 750RPM and 1,300 whenever I'm gradually starting from a dead-stop.

My fiancee even noticed it without me saying it. She asked me the other day, "What did you do to the car?" I replied, "Why?" She said, "It's running a lot better."

Now, considering that her "butt dyno" is about as saensitive as a concrete block, I'll take that observation as a positive.

There's nothing wrong with getting more cooler air to the throttle, and that is basically what the fan is doing. It's like why people install less restrictive air filters. If nissan had it right, they would have made K&N OEM equipment.
Old 10-23-2007, 10:33 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

That's the drop resistor.

IIRC< '97-99 have the IAT on the back of the snorkel. Back of the airbox is '95-96 location.
Forgive my newbiness, but where is the snorkel? I have been looking for the IAT sensor as well.
Old 10-23-2007, 10:39 AM
No more Maximas...

Originally Posted by aznguymoo
Forgive my newbiness, but where is the snorkel? I have been looking for the IAT sensor as well.
It's the big scoop looking thing mounted on the left side of the upper radiator support that goes to the resonator under the battery and the lower air box.
Old 10-23-2007, 10:46 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

It's the big scoop looking thing mounted on the left side of the upper radiator support that goes to the resonator under the battery and the lower air box.
Thanks for the Info! I assume when you say big scoop thing, its that black tube, thats in the vincinty of the absolute pressure sensor from your original pic?
Old 10-23-2007, 10:58 AM
No more Maximas...

Thanks for the Info! I assume when you say big scoop thing, its that black tube, thats in the vincinty of the absolute pressure sensor from your original pic?
Found an old pic I must've used for another intake thread:

Directly below the red box, the scoop with the weatherstripping.

Wow, can't believe how old this pic is...before I painted my UIM and front VC black (out of boredom), pre intake, still original battery, and looks like pre-tint, too.
Old 10-23-2007, 02:56 PM

Yeah, that's the scoop opening, but WTF is the thing in the red box? I do not have anything like that.
Old 10-23-2007, 08:25 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Wow, can't believe how old this pic is...before I painted my UIM and front VC black (out of boredom), pre intake, still original battery, and looks like pre-tint, too.

Thanks for the pic, pmohr. I went ahead and pokeD around looking for the IAT tonight, took a pic, I assume this is the IAT here. Thanks for all your help.

Old 10-23-2007, 08:35 PM

Thanks for the pic, pmohr. I went ahead and pokeD around looking for the IAT tonight, took a pic, I assume this is the IAT here. Thanks for all your help.

Aha! And they say the I30 is exactly the same as the Max.

Then again, it could be that in 1998 they left it off both A32's, but, in my stock snorkle, there is not even an opening, whereas in the extra 4th Gen stock box I bought (for my experiments), the snorkle had a hole in the side...which, of course, was empty. Never knew what was supposed to go there, until tonight.

Mistery solved...except I still cannot find an IAT anywhere under my hood.
Old 10-23-2007, 08:42 PM
No more Maximas...

Originally Posted by dr-rjp
Yeah, that's the scoop opening, but WTF is the thing in the red box? I do not have anything like that.
'95-96 secondary resonator on the midpipe.
Old 10-23-2007, 11:03 PM
Wants a real car

I may be wrong, I know that that thing in the red box is only on the 95. well atleast from every max ive ever seen. I was pretty sure at the time that that was the 95's absolute pressure sensor. all it has is one pipe going into it and nothing out so. mostly an assumption
Old 10-23-2007, 11:57 PM
No more Maximas...

Originally Posted by got_max
I may be wrong, I know that that thing in the red box is only on the 95. well atleast from every max ive ever seen. I was pretty sure at the time that that was the 95's absolute pressure sensor. all it has is one pipe going into it and nothing out so. mostly an assumption
'95's have no MAP, the box is just a resonator. How is it a MAP if it has 1. no sensor, and 2. no harness?
Old 10-24-2007, 08:00 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

One more question regarding the IAT sensor. When I replaced my starter I must have not inserted the connection for the sensor correctly, thus I was getting the a check engine light for the IAT. Now that I reconnected last night do I need to reset my ECU?