4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

What the hell is this crap?

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-2007, 07:13 AM
The Golden One

What the hell is this crap?

What the hell is it with all these people not knowing what model their car is.

This is my rant.

If you all are too lazy to read the sticky's. Here. Read this:

Originally Posted by STICKY
Identifying models and trim levels:

The 4th gen Maxima was offered in three trim levels for the US market:
GXE "The essential Maxima"
SE "The Sportiest Maxima"
GLE "The luxurious Maxima"

All trim levels have the same engine, so performance differences between them are pretty much nil. The best way to tell which trim level you have is to decode the VIN Plate. This is due to much part swapping and trim upgrading, even transmission swaps that can be done.

TO DECODE THE VIN PLATE:
Raise your hood. Look for a shiny metal identification tag fastened to the passenger side of firewall. The top row is the Vehicle Identification Number, starting with J. The second row is model information. The first five characters are BLHUL. The sixth character is the trim level designator, defined as follows:
E = GXE
G = GLE
V = SE

There are some feature differences that can help you determine the trim level on site. Keep in mind that most of these can be changed aftermarket by the owner, but as we know the VAST majority of Maximas on the street are bone stock...

GXE
Black guage faces
Cloth seats
Basic stereo (BOSE optional but extremely rare)
Probably no sunroof (optional but very rare)
Chrome outer window trim and door handles
5spd or Auto trans
No spoiler
No fog lights
Steel wheels with hubcaps
Chrome grill on 97-99 models
Manual A/C

SE
White guage faces
"Sport" Cloth or leather seats
Basic or BOSE stereo
May have sunroof
Black outer window trim
Body color door handles
5spd or auto trans
Spoiler
Fog lights
15" blade-style (95-96) or 16" 5 spoke (97-99) alloy wheels
Body color grill on 97-99 models
Manual A/C or climate control
"Sport" suspension
Electronically controlled front engine mount on automatic transmission cars
Liquid filled rear shock mounts
(In Canada there is a model called the ES which is like an SE minus the BOSE, leather, sunroof, and spoiler (All standard on a Canadian SE). But, it does include the VLSD trans.)

GLE
Black guage faces
Leather seats
BOSE stereo
Sunroof
Chrome outer window trim and door handles
Auto trans only
No spoiler
No fog lights
15" honeycomb (95-96) or 15" blade-style (97-99) alloy wheels
Chrome grill on 97-99 models
Fake wood color dash and door trim
Fuzzy A-pillars on some years
Pop-out drawer (not flip-down) below radio on some years
Climate control only
Electronically controlled front engine mount
Liquid filled rear shock mounts

Keep in mind that spoilers, foglights, mudflaps and wood dash trim could be had as dealer-installed options on all levels.

Other options like heated seats, traction control, ABS and the like were offered on more than one trim level, so they are not a reliable indicator.

What are the differences between the 99 SE and the 99.5 SE-Limited (SE-L)?
Approx. early to midyear of '99, a version of the SE called the SE Limited debuted, with only these differences to the '99 SE

- "SE Limited" badging by driver and front passenger doors
- Titanium tinted wheels, gauges and "MAXIMA" badging
- Optional Perforated Leather seats
- Unique Crimson Blaze Red color as available color selection
- "SE Limited" logo embossed on floor mats & seats

It is largely believed that these were produced to get rid of remining A32 engines, parts, and shells. Evidence to support this is the fact that the SE-L could be equipped like every different trim of a Maxima, with the only commonality being the "Limited" traits listed above.

What makes the Infiniti I30 so special?

The Infiniti I30 is really just a dressed up Maxima. Personally, I think it is what the Maxima should/could have been. Anyway...

The I30 has the same drivetrain and suspension components as the Maxima. This means that all the engine and suspension mods for the Max will fit the I30. There is one critical difference with regard to transmissions, however. I30s equipped with the 5spd manual transmission have a VLSD. We all know why this is good.

As far as the exterior is concerned, the only panels shared between the cars are the doors and the roof.

The I30 includes all the features of the Maxima GLE plus:

Auto dimming mirror
Wood trim on the climate control panel
Chrome interior door handles
Electric fuel door release
Seatback pockets on the front seats
Rear seat headrests
One-piece rear floor mat (it covers the "hump" and has a logo in the middle)
Higher quality leather

Items like heated seats, sunroof, homelink, and leather were optional. It is very rare to find an I30 without a sunroof or leather. There was also an option called the Infiniti Communicator that was a built-in cell phone system.

What options where standard and available on the Maxima?

All Maximas come very well equipped with Power windows/locks/mirrors, cruise control, intermittent wipers, 8 way adjustable seat, remote trunk release, rear defroster, Etc. The SE trim level adds white faced gauges, spoiler, fog lights and alloy wheels. The GLE trim level has everything in the ‘S&C’ and ‘Leather trim’ packages described below and the same alloy wheels found on the 95-96 SE.

Options where grouped into three packages, Security and Convenience (S&C), SE Leather trim, and Cold weather/Deluxe Seating. The S&C package required an Automatic transmission for the GXE and a sunroof for the SE except the 95 model. The Cold weather package required the S&C package and ABS brakes except for the 95 model. The ‘cold weather package’ was renamed the ‘deluxe seating package’ in 98 and added side airbags and dropped the ABS requirement.

Security and Convenience Package (S&C) -
* 8-way power driver's seat
* Remote keyless entry and vehicle security system
* Integrated HomeLink Transmitter (SE only)
* Power trunk release
* Illuminated visor vanity mirrors
* Variable intermittent wipers

SE Leather Trim Package-
* Leather seating surfaces
* Automatic temperature control
* 4-way power front passenger's seat
* Simulated leather upper door trim
* Passenger-side seatback pocket

95-97 Cold Weather Package-
* Heated front seats
* Heated outside mirrors
* Low windshield-washer fluid warning light
* Heavy-duty battery

98-99 Deluxe Seating Package-
* Front seat side air bags
* Heated front seats
* Heated outside mirrors
* Low windshield-washer fluid warning light
* Heavy-duty battery

What are the year to year differences on 4th Gen (95-99) Maximas?

All 4th gen Maximas have the same engine and are basically the same. There are some claims that the earlier 4th gens are slightly more powerful due to less emissions equipment and faster due to being slightly lighter but if there is any speed/power difference it is minimal. Most of these differences where collected from this thread, if you have any additions or corrections please post them there.

Any options or changes continue to the next year unless they are noted to be removed or noted for only one year. The list below is pretty detailed but I did not include every tiny detail to try to keep it readable, check the thread linked above for more details.

1995 - 1st year 4th gen. Rear oxygen sensor in cat. Only year GXE could have S&C package and 5 speed transmission. Only year SE could get S&C package without sunroof. SE came with 15" 'Sawblade' style rims, GLE had 15" 'Honeycomb' Rims.

1996 - revised emissions equipment, new cup holder, power passenger seat available (with leather package). Only year removable in console cup holder available (but most used Maxes no longer have it). Last year GLE came with 'fuzzy' pillars (A.B,C)

1997 – Restyled front and rear (front now has crossbar on grill, rear now has turn signals below taillights), improved crash protection, new steering wheel, 16" 5 spoke wheels on SE, Homelink on GLE and SE with S&C package, SE got orange Gauge needles. Two new steering wheel designs, one for GXE/GLE and one exclusive to SE. New center console - two drink cupholder with hinged lid, lose change holder, lose ashtray in back, lower armrest. New design of double din headunit. Tweeters moved from the A-pillar trim to the door. Cornering lamps removed. Rear oxygen sensor moved behind cat to b-pipe, B-pipe made longer. Rear emblem changed from individual letters to connected letters -- M A X I M A, to M_A_X_I_M_A. GLE trim got GLE badge on trunk. GLE gets the 15" sawblade rims that where on the 95-96 SE.

1998 - Side air bags available (with deluxe seating package), ‘Cold weather package’ replaced by ‘Deluxe seating package’, orange gauge needles on all trim levels (95-97 GXE/GLE had white needles), digital odometer (with two trip meters), climate control redesign, Fuel and temp. Gauges now ‘Mirror image’ instead of facing the same direction. 'Low Fuel' light moved from gas gauge to strip of warning lights, 'Air-bag warning' light moved from strip of lights to bottom of speedometer, 'X1000 RPM' moved from bottom of tachometer to center.

1999 - Emissions equipment and ECU wiring similar to 5th gen models, SE limited edition available, security chip in key, head unit redesign, ‘ambient temperature’ feature added to automatic climate control, three point seat belt for rear center position. Only year traction control was available.

On CA emission 99's Front pre-cat built into header, two extra oxygen sensors to monitor pre-cats (total of 4), Swirl valve in intake to improve emissions. Special aftermarket Y-pipe required and only 1 pre-cat can be removed.
If you car deviates from anything written above, it's a mix between models. Stop arguing about it with people who are telling you the correct answer like a bunch of sissy's. Please. Spare yourself.

My favorite is the fool who says his 97 is an SE-L. I loled at that one. He even has an analog odometer to prove it. ROFL.

Also...MAYBE...if ya'll weren't so lazy...you'd take your VIN # and compare it to this:

Originally Posted by STICKY
How do I decode my VIN?

These are the items designated in the rows of the Vehicle ID Plate located on the passenger side firewall under the hood.

1-Type
2-VIN
3-Model
4-Body color code
5-Trim color code
6-Engine model
7-Engine displacement
8-Transmission model
9-Axle model

Body Color Code:

AL0 RUBY PEARL
AR2 CRIMSON BLAZE RED
AX5 NEW RED
BN6 STARFIRE BLUE PEARL
BT4 LAKESHORE BLUE
BV3 SATIN BLUE PEARL
CG2 PEBBLE BEIGE METALLIC
CP2 MAHOGANY PEARL
DJ2 BLACK EMERALD
DP0 DEEP EVERGREEN
DR2 SHERWOOD GREEN
EV0 SUNLIT SAND
FS0 SAGEMIST GREEN
KH3 SUPER BLACK
KN6 GRANITE PEARL
KT3 STERLING MIST
KV3 GRAY LUSTRE
LP0 PLATINUM IRIS
LS5 ROSEWOOD
LS6 CONCORD MIST
QN0 ARTIC WHITE PEARL (BASE)
QT1 ICELANDIC PEARL

Credit - jay_x

Need more help in decoding the VIN?

So how do I tell if my car is Cali or Fed spec?

Raise your hood. Look for a shiny metal identification tag fastened to the passenger side of firewall. The top row is the Vehicle Identification Number, starting with J. The second row is model information. The first five characters are BLHUL. The 12th character is the destination:

N = Canada
V = California
U = US, not California

Last edited by IlyaK; 11-05-2007 at 08:17 AM.
Old 11-05-2007, 08:07 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Someone needs to add to that list that the SE does not have a rear window mounted 3rd brake light. They are all in the spoiler only. If it's a GXE or GLE it will have one in the back window AND one in the spoiler, if it has a spoiler.
Old 11-05-2007, 09:13 AM
Administrator

Originally Posted by Slickismax
Someone needs to add to that list that the SE does not have a rear window mounted 3rd brake light. They are all in the spoiler only. If it's a GXE or GLE it will have one in the back window AND one in the spoiler, if it has a spoiler.

Not necessarily, it all depends on what the dealer decided to do. Some dealers remove the 3rd brake light in the window once the spoiler gets added, while others are lazy and leave it intact.
Old 11-05-2007, 10:27 AM

Originally Posted by The Wizard
Not necessarily, it all depends on what the dealer decided to do. Some dealers remove the 3rd brake light in the window once the spoiler gets added, while others are lazy and leave it intact.
Well, I have seen GXE's with a plate over the hole where the 3rd brake light used to be, but I've never seen then go as far as to swap the package tray. The SE package tray is just smooth all the way across.
Old 11-05-2007, 12:47 PM

En befour teh lawk....

oh and whos the kid with a 97 SE-L?
Old 11-05-2007, 12:58 PM
The Golden One

Someone posted a thread asking what kind of console I had because I had a pop out tray in my slot under the radio instead of a flip out one (the one din slot).

A discussion started (this thread)...about what models have what things. This is the quote:

Originally Posted by dblock1
My 97 SE-L has an all flat pop out tray too.
Doubtfull!! You tell my 97 SE-L that its not a limited, cause im not! I know what my car is. I know how to read my bages and do RESEARCH.... My 97 is a SE-L
Listen you believe what u want i have all the SE optons and all the GSL options including the fuzzy freeking door pillars!!!!!!!!! My SE limited badges have so much crap built up around them that they hade to be on the car for 10 years. So your car might not be a SE-L but mine is.

Last edited by IlyaK; 11-05-2007 at 01:01 PM.
Old 11-05-2007, 01:04 PM
wants an I35

i have all the GSL options too - including the flux capaciter and infrared windshield.
Old 11-05-2007, 01:06 PM
i has college

Originally Posted by Slickismax
Incorrect, my '97 GXE has a spoiler with LED brake light and no back window light.
Old 11-05-2007, 01:08 PM
The Golden One

Originally Posted by ROCKART
i have all the GSL options too - including the flux capaciter and infrared windshield.
lol. Can we go back in time? I pay well. lol.
Old 11-05-2007, 02:00 PM
97' SE 5spd.

Originally Posted by IlyaK
Someone posted a thread asking what kind of console I had because I had a pop out tray in my slot under the radio instead of a flip out one (the one din slot).

A discussion started (this thread)...about what models have what things. This is the quote:

I bought my car 6 months ago, and doubt that the 50 year old previous owner did and interior modifications. I have notice that there is not the most maxima savvy and honnest people on this site so im not in the routeen of trusting everything everyone said. All I asked for was some proof that the car I bought was not what it's badges stated... I was stating what my car had option weise. It has both what the SE and GLE offer. The badges were from an SE-L so I thought it was!! The research I did was to find what options were offered and for which body style not year. Excuse me for the mistake. JSutter was the first person who gave some examples insted of forcing his opinion out there. Thank you, I do see how the options are added on and werent stock. I never searched "97 SE-L" so i didnt know they only came in 99. You people spazz out so bad, to bad it wasnt for something positve maby you could have accomplished something other than shifting my opinion!!!

i also miss spoke "typed" when I wrote GSL I ment to say GLE
Old 11-05-2007, 02:13 PM
The Golden One

I wasn't necessarily talking about you in my original post. I've seen 10 threads in the last 2 days about this topic. I used you as an example. Sorry.
Old 11-05-2007, 02:16 PM
97' SE 5spd.

No hard feelings brother just dont want anyone to think im lying or faking the funk!!
Old 11-05-2007, 02:17 PM

Yep, the 4th gen forum has been going down the crapshute ever since I joined.........
Old 11-05-2007, 02:20 PM

I bought my car 6 months ago, and doubt that the 50 year old previous owner did and interior modifications. I have notice that there is not the most maxima savvy and honnest people on this site so im not in the routeen of trusting everything everyone said. All I asked for was some proof that the car I bought was not what it's badges stated... I was stating what my car had option weise. It has both what the SE and GLE offer. The badges were from an SE-L so I thought it was!! The research I did was to find what options were offered and for which body style not year. Excuse me for the mistake. JSutter was the first person who gave some examples insted of forcing his opinion out there. Thank you, I do see how the options are added on and werent stock. I never searched "97 SE-L" so i didnt know they only came in 99. You people spazz out so bad, to bad it wasnt for something positve maby you could have accomplished something other than shifting my opinion!!!

You also miss typed mostly all of that post...

oh and they were getting frustrated because you were not listening to the people that have been here FAR longer then you have....Youve been here a couple months and you already think you know your shi*....

oh and your "opinion" on having a 97 SE L was completely wrong but you still argued it against people on a MAXIMA forum....
Old 11-05-2007, 02:28 PM
97' SE 5spd.

Originally Posted by mazzivart
You also miss typed mostly all of that post...

oh and they were getting frustrated because you were not listening to the people that have been here FAR longer then you have....Youve been here a couple months and you already think you know your shi*....

oh and your "opinion" on having a 97 SE L was completely wrong but you still argued it against people on a MAXIMA forum....
Dont wory about my spelling you should have seen it befor i proof read it!!! I dint ask for anyons opinion , I only wanted proof once everyone starte spazzing and untill I got proof I wasnt budging. Problem with that then dont respond...
Old 11-05-2007, 02:29 PM
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by 99BlackMaxMS
Yep, the 4th gen forum has been going down the crapshute ever since I joined.........
so it must be your fault. ha ha jk.
Old 11-05-2007, 02:35 PM

Dont wory about my spelling you should have seen it befor i proof read it!!! I dint ask for anyons opinion , I only wanted proof once everyone starte spazzing and untill I got proof I wasnt budging. Problem with that then dont respond...
You will learn to pick your battles here.....yours wasnt really worth it....
Old 11-05-2007, 02:41 PM
97' SE 5spd.

You will learn to pick your battles here.....yours wasnt really worth it....

I see what your saying but im not battling anyone just responding thank you very much, and once again ^^^^ your opinion, you know what they say about opinions.

Last edited by dblock1; 11-05-2007 at 02:44 PM. Reason: I'll slow down my typing to get all the leters in there too. My bad
Old 11-05-2007, 04:39 PM

So........ I need help! I need to know what trim I have. When I bought the car it had no fog's and came with leather so that makes it a GLE. I looked at the title and it stated SE. I then bought a 95gxe and did a 5speed swap. So I have a 97 GLESEGXE? I then I threw in a 01 lsd tranny and thats only offered to the AE's so I now have a GLESEGXEAE???? Please help!

Last edited by 97SMG; 11-05-2007 at 05:08 PM.
Old 11-05-2007, 05:04 PM
Administrator

Originally Posted by 97SMG
So........ I need help! I need to know what trim I have. When I bought the car it had no fog's and came with leather so that makes it a GLE. I looked at the title and it stated SE. I then bought a 95gxe and did a 5speed swap. So I have a 97 GLESEGXE? I then I threw in a 01 lsd tranny and that only offered to the AE's so I know have a GLESEGXEAE???? Please help!
Old 11-05-2007, 05:19 PM

So........ I need help! I need to know what trim I have. When I bought the car it had no fog's and came with leather so that makes it a GLE. I looked at the title and it stated SE. I then bought a 95gxe and did a 5speed swap. So I have a 97 GLESEGXE? I then I threw in a 01 lsd tranny and thats only offered to the AE's so I now have a GLESEGXEAE???? Please help!
Newb POST OF THE YEAR!!!!!!!!!!1111
Old 11-05-2007, 05:51 PM
Former Vendor

no its a 98 3/4 GSLXAE-L. you have fuzzy pillars right?
Old 11-05-2007, 05:52 PM

Here we go again........
Old 11-05-2007, 06:12 PM

Newb POST OF THE YEAR!!!!!!!!!!1111
Only by title Been here for quite a while
Old 11-05-2007, 06:21 PM

Must I dare say on the title of my car is says:

Year: 1999
Manufacturer: Nissan
Make: Maxima
Model: GXE/SE/GLE

At least I know its an SE........
Old 11-05-2007, 06:26 PM
VIP Maxima

thank god they all have 190hp, otherwise, we woulda been in for a disaster

Old 11-05-2007, 06:30 PM

Originally Posted by VIP Maxima
amen
although I doubt the ol girl is still up to spec...
Old 11-05-2007, 06:32 PM

You know, you really ought to change your title to '97 SE-L for teh funney ironings.
Old 11-05-2007, 06:34 PM
i SeE what you did therE

Originally Posted by VIP Maxima

Old 11-05-2007, 07:30 PM

I see what you're doing<--sorry off topic.
Old 11-05-2007, 07:58 PM

why doesn't everyone stop comparing add ons and features to discover what freaking model they have

just decode the VIN in 2 seconds

or make 30 posts and argue and pick a fight and then apologize and then buy an org sticker and then make quality led tail lights and sell them to me already in the housing for 50 bucks

or gash your eyes out and it will always be a mystery what model you have
Old 11-05-2007, 08:16 PM

HAHA good one; ILYA FTW
Old 11-06-2007, 12:12 AM

Originally Posted by EnervinE
Incorrect, my '97 GXE has a spoiler with LED brake light and no back window light.
my 98 gxe has spoiler with led and no back window light as well
Old 11-06-2007, 05:55 AM
Addicted to the Org

Mine doesn't have lights at all. What could it be??????????????????
Old 11-06-2007, 05:56 AM
The Golden One

Maximized98...yours is a PE. Primitive Edition.
Old 11-06-2007, 06:17 AM

Originally Posted by ejarmol
why doesn't everyone stop comparing add ons and features to discover what freaking model they have

just decode the VIN in 2 seconds
Because it doesn't cover JNK Oh and it says nothing about gle/gxe/se
Old 11-06-2007, 07:12 AM
Kevlo for President

Need more mods

Or me to quit school