4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Gas goin up to much in NY

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-2007 | 10:11 AM

Gas goin up to much in NY

OK, As you all no, Gas is going up way too high and here in NY its like 3.69 for 93. Its getting ridiculous right now. Im thinking of using 87 gas and throwing in a bottle of that 0-60 octance booster. But dont know if its ok though. Should I just stick with the 93 or go with 87
Old 11-08-2007 | 10:28 AM
wants an I35

this is more of a general maxima issue rather than a 4th gen issue.

regardless of how much its going up you are still only paying 3 or 4 dollars more per tank for high octane gas. worth it in my mind.
Old 11-08-2007 | 11:32 AM
No more Maximas...

No need to even use the octane booster, your car should run fine on 87 octane.

Yes, this may start a big opinion war, who really cares. Wasn't it Neal that went 14.5 on a stock 4th gen, with both 89 octane and higher? I believe some tests around here have also showed there to be very little to no knock even when run with 87.
Old 11-08-2007 | 11:39 AM
Administrator

IBTL

Old 11-08-2007 | 11:44 AM

premium
premium
premium
it sounds so good!
Old 11-08-2007 | 11:54 AM
wants an I35

brings about something worth mentioning...

my uncle actually used to work with aeronautical combustion engineers at an airport in the 70s. apparently when he was my age he was also right in the middle of the high octane vs. low octane argument. he did a fair amount of research into it and ended up talking to one of these fuel prodigies who said that high octane, 91, would yield no cleaner or better results than low octane, 87, in the engine of an automobile. he since has done a lot of research about it and shared it all with me last weekend when i went up to NC to see him.

the way he explained it was this. when the valve fills up with the air/gas mixture and ignites, it will burn much smoother with higher octane gas. the composition of the gas is designed to be consistant in combustion - meaning it will burn at a constant and static rate from one end to the other. this, as it is, may result in SLIGHTLY reduced horsepower, because the piston is not firing as violently.
lower octane gas does the opposite. it ignites rapidly and progressively, which causes the occasional engine knock. this engine "knock" is the very reason people use 91 in the first place. lower octane gas, especially in engines as simplistic as ours, will actually yeild no damaging effects as far as the knocking goes becuase our cars are designed to deaden this knock (the piston hitting the valve ?). it does happen occasionally, but not enough to warrant putting an extra 4 bux into your tank everytime you fill...

i used to think the octane levels had to do with impurities in the fuel, probably from those shell commericals with the tiger jumping out of the hood, but i was wrong. they are both filtered and cleaned equally as well.

basically, he calls me an idiot for filling my car with high octane
im still putting 91 or 93 in my maxima but its something i think about.
Old 11-08-2007 | 11:55 AM

Holy crap, cry me a river. It's like a 4 dollar difference at the end, cheap ****s.
Old 11-08-2007 | 12:36 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

I always but 93 octane in all my cars, its a little bit over $3 right now in North Texas. Do the calculations....... usually 87 octane is like .20 cents less; multiply that by a full tank and you end up saving only like $3.00. So you mind as well use premium.
Old 11-08-2007 | 01:14 PM
Whatchyou say?

I'm way to poor to buy 93 so ... I have always run 87 in all of my cars. Never seemed to hurt anything so, why not continue.

We are all in the wrong line of work - unless we own an oil compnany! and thanks to our great leader of the free world ... gas will continue to go up untill he can't hold any more money in his pockets!
Old 11-08-2007 | 01:24 PM
wants an I35

Originally Posted by JtzMax
I'm way to poor to buy 93 so ... I have always run 87 in all of my cars. Never seemed to hurt anything so, why not continue.

We are all in the wrong line of work - unless we own an oil compnany! and thanks to our great leader of the free world ... gas will continue to go up untill he can't hold any more money in his pockets!
yea really man. invaded a country sitting on the LARGEST reserve of oil on the entire planet and PRICES GO UP ? ? ? ? ? remember back in '01 it was supposed "to help pay for the war" ? lower gas = more consumer spending = better economy = more money for the war.....now its just the administration getting rich. and weve pissed off the rest of the world more than it already was...plus all those homeless and parentless 9 year old kids in iraq, who didnt give two fcks about america in 1998, are the ones who are going to be flying planes into buildings in the next decade...nothing to live for and a whole lot to hate.
even after this snowball of ****ups by this presidency, i still cant believe 1/3rd of this country thinks they are doing a good job. those people should be sterilized so they cannot affect future generations.....the true american masses. people who think global warming is a communist liberal consipiracy to kill the coal industry.....

WE NEED EDUCATION UP IN THIS BIZITCH
Old 11-08-2007 | 01:42 PM

Originally Posted by ROCKART
yea really man. invaded a country sitting on the LARGEST reserve of oil on the entire planet and PRICES GO UP ? ? ? ? ? remember back in '01 it was supposed "to help pay for the war" ? lower gas = more consumer spending = better economy = more money for the war.....now its just the administration getting rich. and weve pissed off the rest of the world more than it already was...plus all those homeless and parentless 9 year old kids in iraq, who didnt give two fcks about america in 1998, are the ones who are going to be flying planes into buildings in the next decade...nothing to live for and a whole lot to hate.
even after this snowball of ****ups by this presidency, i still cant believe 1/3rd of this country thinks they are doing a good job. those people should be sterilized so they cannot affect future generations.....the true american masses. people who think global warming is a communist liberal consipiracy to kill the coal industry.....

imo, You should really just chill and not take all this seriously... I mean what can you do your just a little guy. Just relax and smoke some ganja.
Old 11-08-2007 | 01:55 PM

I'll be happy to educate!

There are a lot of people that believe that the gas prices is Bush's fault. To say the least, it is disheartening to ponder that many of those same people are able to vote, drive and probably believe that former President Bill Clinton smoked but did not inhale. It is difficult to try to understand the logic of these Americans who place so much blame on the president for so many things.

Reasonable people in our society understand the president is blamed and credited for more things than he could ever realistically be responsible for doing. The real culprits in this scenario are U.S. domestic policies that were implemented in the 1970s. During that time frame, it was decided that no more oil refineries would be built. This stifling policy was coupled with other bad energy policies regarding nuclear power.

To this day, decisions initially made by Congress and now perpetuated by U.S. bureaucracies have kept energy prices - including gasoline - unnaturally high and have wreaked havoc on America's electrical grid. The forces at work are simple; the refineries are a bottleneck that forces a limited supply of something for which there is exponential demand. Market forces dictate this will cause the product to go up in price.

Lately, it seems hatred for Bush has gotten in the way of common sense. The wrong questions were asked during Hurricane Katrina and the wrong questions are being asked now about gas prices. The right questions need to be directed toward those faceless institutions that direct domestic policy on these key issues.

If we must blame someone, we need to start with special interests that are insisting no new refineries be built. We could then move on to an American Congress that is afraid to pass legislation allowing the needed refineries and power plants to be built. Then we could move on to an American constituency who wants to simultaneously complain about environmental issues and the cost of energy prices.

As a people, we can formulate smarter energy policies that reduce greenhouse gas emissions by using alternative energy sources in some areas and allow increases in production and consumption of gasoline in others. If we want to continue to enjoy the quality of life that we have now with little or no interruptions, we must act soon to see that the right questions are asked and the right policies are implemented. Instead of blaming the president, it is time to work together to ensure our own prosperous future. To the surprise of many, whatever the issue, it can rarely be credited to or blamed on the president.
Old 11-08-2007 | 01:55 PM
wants an I35

yea youre right i should just relax and get high while my country is destroyed....

i guess growing up in lower manhattan and then watching those towers fall at 8am on that tuesday morning got me to start thinking. maybe you were safe somewhere in nebraska but i was a little more than a mile from church and mercer.

thats MY town. goddamn mother****ing right i take it seriously
Old 11-08-2007 | 02:04 PM
wants an I35

Originally Posted by Divewjason
I'll be happy to educate!

There are a lot of people that believe that the gas prices is Bush's fault. To say the least, it is disheartening to ponder that many of those same people are able to vote, drive and probably believe that former President Bill Clinton smoked but did not inhale. It is difficult to try to understand the logic of these Americans who place so much blame on the president for so many things.

Reasonable people in our society understand the president is blamed and credited for more things than he could ever realistically be responsible for doing. The real culprits in this scenario are U.S. domestic policies that were implemented in the 1970s. During that time frame, it was decided that no more oil refineries would be built. This stifling policy was coupled with other bad energy policies regarding nuclear power.

To this day, decisions initially made by Congress and now perpetuated by U.S. bureaucracies have kept energy prices - including gasoline - unnaturally high and have wreaked havoc on America's electrical grid. The forces at work are simple; the refineries are a bottleneck that forces a limited supply of something for which there is exponential demand. Market forces dictate this will cause the product to go up in price.

Lately, it seems hatred for Bush has gotten in the way of common sense. The wrong questions were asked during Hurricane Katrina and the wrong questions are being asked now about gas prices. The right questions need to be directed toward those faceless institutions that direct domestic policy on these key issues.

If we must blame someone, we need to start with special interests that are insisting no new refineries be built. We could then move on to an American Congress that is afraid to pass legislation allowing the needed refineries and power plants to be built. Then we could move on to an American constituency who wants to simultaneously complain about environmental issues and the cost of energy prices.

As a people, we can formulate smarter energy policies that reduce greenhouse gas emissions by using alternative energy sources in some areas and allow increases in production and consumption of gasoline in others. If we want to continue to enjoy the quality of life that we have now with little or no interruptions, we must act soon to see that the right questions are asked and the right policies are implemented. Instead of blaming the president, it is time to work together to ensure our own prosperous future. To the surprise of many, whatever the issue, it can rarely be credited to or blamed on the president.
you are 100% correct. the special interests are price fixing this all. tobacco too, and automotive industries, etc, etc. but the reason that is not stopped, and hasnt been stopped for years, is that they are lobbyists for the presidential campaigns. you scratch my back ill scratch yours. and its not so much BUSH but the entire campaign and not so much the campaign but the entire LIFESTYLE it represents. the lifestyle of "tomorrow doesnt matter as long as were happy today". like driving SUVs. we all know they are bad for the air, and we know they are padding the wallets of the Saudi-Bin Laden groups but FORD and CHEVY are still marketing them to the pseudo-cowboy crowd. its a fake- a fraud - you hauled some 2x4s one time? you need a pickup/suv. just like the way GWB puts on his straw hat and plays cowboy at the ranch down in texas. like hes some REAL american. that spoiled punk grew up in KENNEBUNKPORT MAINE and BOSTON MASS, as well as washington DC....i know im all over the place on this...i got a lot to say.

and ask the average american to point out iraq on a map. get ready to laugh.

oh yea and ask the average american if we ever found WMDs in iraq

and finally ask them if osama bin laden and saddam hussein were friends.

we went way off topic here. end this now.
Old 11-08-2007 | 02:08 PM

you are 100% correct. the special interests are price fixing this all. tobacco too, and automotive industries, etc, etc. but the reason that is not stopped, and hasnt been stopped for years, is that they are lobbyists for the presidential campaigns. you scratch my back ill scratch yours. and its not so much BUSH but the entire campaign and not so much the campaign but the entire LIFESTYLE it represents. the lifestyle of "tomorrow doesnt matter as long as were happy today". like driving SUVs. we all know they are bad for the air, and we know they are padding the wallets of the Saudi-Bin Laden groups but FORD and CHEVY are still marketing them to the pseudo-cowboy crowd. its a fake- a fraud - you hauled some 2x4s one time? you need a pickup/suv. just like the way GWB puts on his straw hat and plays cowboy at the ranch down in texas. like hes some REAL american. that spoiled punk grew up in KENNEBUNKPORT MAINE and BOSTON MASS, as well as washington DC....i know im all over the place on this...i got a lot to say.

and ask the average american to point out iraq on a map. get ready to laugh.

oh yea and ask the average american if we ever found WMDs in iraq

and finally ask them if osama bin laden and saddam hussein were friends.

we went way off topic here. end this now.
I agree with you on some of your points and disagree on others, but you are right, we should end this now. If you want to carry on this discussion feel free to pm me.
Old 11-08-2007 | 02:14 PM

yea youre right i should just relax and get high while my country is destroyed....

i guess growing up in lower manhattan and then watching those towers fall at 8am on that tuesday morning got me to start thinking. maybe you were safe somewhere in nebraska but i was a little more than a mile from church and mercer.

thats MY town. goddamn mother****ing right i take it seriously
Just to clear this up i aint from nebraska i was born in ny and raised in ny. I was shopping in manhatten wile the towers fell. You want to do something the only thing u can do is join the military. There is nothing you can do just live ure life and stop living in fear. This is WAY off topic tho.
Old 11-08-2007 | 02:26 PM

Originally Posted by VQrebuild96
imo, You should really just chill and not take all this seriously... I mean what can you do your just a little guy. Just relax and smoke some ganja.
ROFL best post ever!
Old 11-08-2007 | 02:39 PM
maxima985spd

yea because the united states has more control over that oil in the middle east than OPEC does
Old 11-08-2007 | 03:36 PM
Kevlo for President

NO MORE GAS THREADS!!!!!!!!!!!!!