4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Which coil pack?? Please advise!

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2007, 02:17 PM

Which coil pack?? Please advise!

May be some of you remember me from my misfiring thread. After changing the plugs and gapping them to spec the problem seemed to disapear for a week. But then it came back : (
I decided to try the coil pack now. May be they are not done but deteriorated enough to misfire under load.

Dealer is out of question. I was willing to buy some high performance ones, with hopefully higher voltage so I can run my huge gaps again, but found nothing for Maxima. If you know of any pls post link.

So now I am down to these 'ebay OEM' choices. Please give me your opinion and may be a reason why.

Choice 1

Choice 2

Choice 3
Old 11-29-2007, 02:43 PM
No more Maximas...

Originally Posted by truculent
Dealer is out of question. I was willing to buy some high performance ones, with hopefully higher voltage so I can run my huge gaps again, but found nothing for Maxima. If you know of any pls post link.
I believe there was a splitfire product for our cars a while back...Godfather has them - cardomain

Of course, you could always do grey's voltage boostar - pic

Why do you want to run your 'huge gaps' again?
Old 11-29-2007, 04:51 PM

I checked splitfire already but they don't offer coils for Maxima.

Is Hitachi the OEM for the stock coils?

If you have to buy one of these 3 which one would you buy?

I want to run big gaps again because when I closed them to stock the car felt not as responsive. I am pretty sure there is even a difference in the engine noise
Old 11-29-2007, 05:20 PM
LandShark has Cosworth

I want to run big gaps again because when I closed them to stock the car felt not as responsive. I am pretty sure there is even a difference in the engine noise
Interesting - if you have a spark, the cylinder go BANG. No spark, no BANG. I run a .035 gap with a combined 150-shot of nitrous, and I get the BANG.

You can invest in a $50 power supply and wire it into your car and put more voltage TO your coils, then you can gap to .075 and still get the BANG. LOTS cheaper and more reliable than buying new STOCK coils for $60-$90 EACH.

Listen to pmohr - he's faster than I am. And probably better looking.

EDIT: seriously, the power-supply mod allows you to raise the voltage going to ALL coils - I ran at 16 volts for the 150-shot 3.0 engine, and I had NO problems with spark - on any of my 18 coils. Now with the 3.5, I have it set to 15 volts, with plugs gapped to .035, and that engine pulls like a turboed diesel - it's a tire-shredder.

Last edited by grey99max; 11-29-2007 at 05:25 PM.
Old 11-29-2007, 05:22 PM
No more Maximas...

http://forums.maxima.org/showthread.php?t=305614

Personally, I'd just stick with pre-99 junkyard coils. ~$10-25, depending on where you go.

Never had Hitachi coils (if Hitachi even makes ignition coils):
http://forums.maxima.org/showpost.ph...9&postcount=14
Originally Posted by PAMudslinger
The difference is the earlier production models had the Mitsubishi Coils(part#22448-31U11) which were 12/94 to 5/95. 5/95 and up are the Hanshin Coils(part#22448-31U01). The mitsubishi coils aren't availible from Nissan anymore they have all superceded to the Hanshin coils. But I have found out that the NAPA ECHLIN line part# IC209 is the Mitsubishi coil and it even has the nissan stamp and part# right on it. The numbers are all in reference to the right bank (cyl.1,3,5).
Old 11-29-2007, 05:25 PM
No more Maximas...

Originally Posted by grey99max
Interesting - if you have a spark, the cylinder go BANG. No spark, no BANG. I run a .035 gap with a combined 150-shot of nitrous, and I get the BANG.

You can invest in a $50 power supply and wire it into your car and put more voltage TO your coils, then you can gap to .075 and still get the BANG. LOTS cheaper and more reliable than buying new STOCK coils for $60-$90 EACH.

...not quite sure how to respond to that.

For your slander, I think you owe me your nitrous setup.

Yes...yes, that seemed appropriate.
Old 11-29-2007, 05:38 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Im to lazy to search to see if the dyno was ever provided...I wonder what ever happened...
Old 11-29-2007, 05:42 PM

Originally Posted by grey99max

EDIT: seriously, the power-supply mod allows you to raise the voltage going to ALL coils - I ran at 16 volts for the 150-shot 3.0 engine, and I had NO problems with spark - on any of my 18 coils. Now with the 3.5, I have it set to 15 volts, with plugs gapped to .035, and that engine pulls like a turboed diesel - it's a tire-shredder.
I would pay $50 in a sec if I knew how to wire it.
I know you guys are good, so help me pick between these 3. I can afford 300 for coils now. I know the Nissan coilpack deteriorates quickly and I plan on keeping my Max even after I get a new car, so I don't mind investing in them

Afraid to buy used ones because I know how many of them are bad.. or with little life left.

If you HAD to get one of these: Which?
Old 11-29-2007, 05:45 PM
No more Maximas...

Originally Posted by mazzivart
Im to lazy to search to see if the dyno was ever provided...I wonder what ever happened...
I skimmed through the last two pages or so of threads Stephen Max created, which reaches back into '04. No dyno that I can see.
Old 11-29-2007, 05:47 PM

I would pay $50 in a sec if I knew how to wire it.
I know you guys are good, so help me pick between these 3. I can afford 300 for coils now. I know the Nissan coilpack deteriorates quickly and I plan on keeping my Max even after I get a new car, so I don't mind investing in them

Afraid to buy used ones because I know how many of them are bad.. or with little life left.

If you HAD to get one of these: Which?
I would get some used ones...they can be had for cheap and off a lower mileage engine should last for a long time...I have had only one coil die on my 95 with 124xxx miles...
Old 11-29-2007, 05:51 PM

Originally Posted by pmohr
I skimmed through the last two pages or so of threads Stephen Max created, which reaches back into '04. No dyno that I can see.
Damn...Im trying to see if I can reach MEVI+JWT numbers with out the JWT part...right now I have a 68mm throttle body and will be getting the vq30 spacer when it come out. I am a little scurred to install the EU.
Old 11-29-2007, 05:54 PM

I have 5 used ignition coils which are 3 front side and 2 back side from 96 infinit(120k).
If you need send a PM to me.
Thanks.
Old 11-29-2007, 07:19 PM

No. I will buy New and sell the used myself.

The thing about old coils is they freaking deteriorate and performace starts to suffer before they fail. You cannot test them. OhmMeter? BS! THis thing just tests continuity.

Plus I am really sick of this problem and I want to exclude coils with 100%.
Old 11-29-2007, 07:33 PM
SLOW

If someone put a gun to my head and said I had to choose one of these coils like you are trying to ask I guess I'd go with the Hitachi, though that is based purely on name recognition, not because I know anything about any one of those coils be better than the other.

In reality though, I think buying all new coils is a giant waste of money but hey if you've got money to burn go for it if it makes you feel good I guess.
Old 11-30-2007, 06:54 AM
LandShark has Cosworth

Originally Posted by pmohr
...not quite sure how to respond to that.

For your slander, I think you owe me your nitrous setup.

Yes...yes, that seemed appropriate.

Come on, you've seen the photos of my under-the-hood nitrous wiring madness. Would you want something like that living in YOUR car ????

Besides, the nitrous setup is gonna mate up with the 3.5. Oh, yeah....