4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Airbag Light Flash Codes?

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2007, 12:01 PM

Airbag Light Flash Codes?

99 Max GLE, our airbag light has been flashing since we bought the car.

I managed to get it to go out following the door button press procedure. I did the procedure on Friday and it was out for Sat, Sun but came back Monday. Did it again, same thing. It came back in a couple of days.

This time I did a different procedure. Did one where we turn the key off soon the airbag light goes out and count to 4, 3 times. The light did not go off, but it did look like it flashing codes. I would see 2 flashes a pause and another flashes, longer I think, or maybe the first ones where longer. Repeated.

I am drunk or was it winking a message at me? If it was codes what is a 22 then?
Old 11-30-2007, 12:40 PM

Originally Posted by ScottS
I am drunk or was it winking a message at me? If it was codes what is a 22 then?
Do you have side airbags? On two long and two short flashes FSM says: The side air bag module (LH) circuit is malfunctioning.

Repair order (“Recheck SRS at each replacement.”)
1. Visually check the wiring harness connection.
2. Replace the harness if it has visible damage.
3. Replace side air bag module (LH).(Before disposal, it must be deployed.)
4. Replace the diagnosis sensor unit.
Old 11-30-2007, 04:05 PM

Originally Posted by lexoid
Do you have side airbags? On two long and two short flashes FSM says: The side air bag module (LH) circuit is malfunctioning.

Yes, it does have the side air bag. LH = Left Hand? = Driver's?

3 does not sound cheap. I will check 1 again...
Old 11-30-2007, 08:42 PM

Originally Posted by ScottS
Yes, it does have the side air bag. LH = Left Hand? = Driver's?
Yes

3 does not sound cheap. I will check 1 again...
Since it stays quite for a couple of days, I'd suspect harness connectors. Just remember to disconnect both battery cables and wait at least 3 minutes before checking airbags.
Old 11-30-2007, 09:10 PM

i have similar problem with my 99 gle, but i did not ready codes.
in my situation is that if i dont play my radio airbag light is off, when i turn it on then airbag light starts blinking after while. and it happens only below 40 deg F. wtf??
Old 12-01-2007, 10:04 AM

Thanks for the heads up about the battery and checking the air bags...
Old 03-10-2008, 07:30 PM

Other issues with reseting the Airbag

Just an FYI...

My airbag light was blinking too.

I tried to use the "push door jam button method", but it didn't work, even with 20 tries.

I read something somewhere that suggested cleaning the contacts on the door jam switch if you couldn't get it to work. I removed the switch and cleaned it with contact switch cleaner from Radio Shack. Next time I tried to reset it, it worked great.

Rob
Old 05-04-2008, 01:17 PM

That is good to know. I disconnected the battery and had a look under the seat. As far as I could tell the connection looked good. They did not seem loose. I pushed them together but there was no movement. I did the door pin trick. It is out for the moment. We will see how long it lasts.
Old 05-11-2008, 04:43 AM

I just got a 98 Maxima SE and the airbag light is flashing too....ugh! Is this an easy fix or should I just take it to someone to have it fixed?
Old 08-19-2008, 04:22 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

codes

Does anyone know or have a list of all the flasshing codes? Mine is flashing one long then two short. help will be greatly appreciated.
Old 08-19-2008, 01:20 PM

damn everybody is having this problem! mine blinks steadly, does anybody have a remedy?
Old 11-25-2008, 11:55 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

ME TOO!!!!

I got a 1998 GLE and its airbag light been blinking steadly(reseting wouldnt work anymore), what does that mean? any airbag guru out there? i need to sell the car and i rather get it fixed before the sale...
Old 11-25-2008, 12:12 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by heraiz
I got a 1998 GLE and its airbag light been blinking steadly(reseting wouldnt work anymore), what does that mean? any airbag guru out there? i need to sell the car and i rather get it fixed before the sale...
the bag modules are crappy in our cars and go out more than often. you can pull out the bulb and tell your potential buer that it is something that'll need to be raplaced.
Old 11-25-2008, 12:17 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

hi there,i have a maxima 98 and i have same kind of problems,and i.ve tried whit the door think for many times and days,and it work,last time when i did it it was like 2 m ago,and sience that day is off,
if it came on,take a look under the seat,and move a bit the wires,and then try again whit the door code,
about flashing long and short it did to me to,and i did fore couple times and it go off,sometimes it go on because somebody touch the wires what are under the seat,
for me it work the door code so good luck

if i wrote something bad or wrong sorry,i´m from europe roumanian
Old 11-25-2008, 02:03 PM
mod or sell?

Originally Posted by allensteiner21
the bag modules are crappy in our cars and go out more than often. you can pull out the bulb and tell your potential buer that it is something that'll need to be raplaced.
I just needed to disconnect and reconnect my side airbag and the light went out. now I have a spare side air bag.
Old 11-25-2008, 02:15 PM

I did the door trick recently..and it worked for couple of days..then it came back I think because my friend was looking for something under the seat and I think he probably moved the wires...this happened to me twice..just comes back after awhile..
Old 11-26-2008, 08:03 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

It seems I need an airbag module, looking around for a new one, they go for $600-$800! OUCH!,,,,Where have you gotten yours? And your cost? Can they be repaired? Thanks!
Old 11-28-2008, 07:27 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Anyone?
Old 12-04-2008, 09:06 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

1997 Maxima SE airbag light

I have a '97 SE. The airbag light has been flashing constantly. I have tried the pressing DDS switch 5 times method as described to no avail. The airbag light is still flashing constantly. In addition, I have checked all of the connections under the driver's seat and they are all secure. Any ideas why the light is still flashing at a constant rate? Is that something only the Nissan dealer can work on? Any advice would be appreciated.
Old 12-04-2008, 11:47 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

cmi001, I got the same problem, resetting worked fine for me in the past, but not anymore....from my research, everything seem to tell me to replace the airbag module which is about $600-800 part, I also need the one that works with side airbags, I need to find a used one in working condition that was never activated before in a car crash...

I found this one on eBay, search for "1998 NISSAN MAXIMA GLE AIRBAG SET W/ MODULE AIR BAG" one item will come up for $180 that includes the airbag module, driver and passenger airbags,,I couldn't buy this for my 98 maxima since it doesn't work with maxima's that include side airbags, like mine...maybe it will fit yours if you dont have side airbags...

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1998-...Q5fAccessories

Last edited by heraiz; 12-04-2008 at 11:52 AM.
Old 12-04-2008, 12:21 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Heraiz, thanks for the info.. Man, that would really stink if it comes down to replacing the airbag module. Btw, did you airbag light flash in a steady manner or did it flash with some sort of codes(eg. 1 short flash, then 2 long flash)?
Old 12-04-2008, 01:13 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

its flashing now in a steady manner,,,in the past 3 years, it use to give out flash codes, but not anymore...now its just a steady flashing light...agrrrr!
Old 12-04-2008, 01:40 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Thanks! Mine has never given out flash codes, only steady blinking. So I wonder if maybe there is nothing wrong with the airbag and it is just I didn't do the reset properly. Anyone else have any suggestions? Thanks in advance.
Old 01-10-2009, 10:23 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Need the air bag codes.

Originally Posted by lexoid

I buy and sell alot of maximas and had the door trick work on a couple. It surprised me but it does work at resetting the light. However I have one that doesnt reset but was trying to figure out the code or if somebody could tell me or list the codes. It does 2 long flashes, a pause, short flash and a pause, then 2 short flashes. Not sure if it means 2 long and 3 short or 2 long and 2 short. I'm aware of the side airbags being the most common problem but just trying to figure out what side it may be. Any replies would be greatly appreciated. Thank you!!!
Old 01-13-2009, 06:58 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Originally Posted by Lester_Towing
I buy and sell alot of maximas and had the door trick work on a couple. It surprised me but it does work at resetting the light. However I have one that doesnt reset but was trying to figure out the code or if somebody could tell me or list the codes. It does 2 long flashes, a pause, short flash and a pause, then 2 short flashes. Not sure if it means 2 long and 3 short or 2 long and 2 short. I'm aware of the side airbags being the most common problem but just trying to figure out what side it may be. Any replies would be greatly appreciated. Thank you!!!
Just to Let everyone know I got it fixed today but I can't tell you what exactly I did that made it worked. I think it is just connection or plugin problems from moving the seats back and forth with objects under the seats but not sure. I disconnected the battery cables and took both seats out. Unplugged all connections on both seats and they seemed fine just made sure they snugged together tightly. Took the panel off the back of the seat and checked the plugin to the airbag also. I think mine was probaly the plugin to the air bag module itself. I say that because I felt like it actually snugged in a lil bit. The module is located under the armrest consule. After installing everthing back together and connecting the battery cables the light was still on. Did the door trick and it went out on first try. This is the third air bag light on 98 models I have reset. This door trick thing does work. Just hope this information helps others and save alot of money from the dealerships trying to rob you. Good Luck and God Bless.
Old 01-13-2009, 07:18 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Originally Posted by Lester_Towing
This site will tell you the codes that flash.

Add to Favorites

Nissan Airbags - Auto Repair Codes

The information below may apply to Nissan 100NX and many other models
Step 5
Nissan SRS Code Reading

Connector Diagram

Note: You may need the Rennacs™ UniPlug and UniPlug specific software.
Click here for more info.

Auto Repair Manual - How to read codes (No Special Tools Needed)

If SRS light is already flashing the vehicle may already be displaying fault codes, skip to step 5.
Please Note:When code reading is finished the vehicle must be returned to normal operation mode. Refer to step 7.
1 Turn ignition ON.
2 The SRS warning light will come ON for 7 seconds then go out. Turn the ignition OFF within 1 second of the lamp going out
3 Wait 3 seconds then repeat the above steps 3 times.
4 Switch ignition back ON and wait for the SRS light to begin flashing.
5 Read codes as described in the Code Format Description below.
6 Press the continue button to enter the code numbers and get the code description.
To return vehicle to normal operation mode: 7 Ensure ignition is OFF then turn ignition ON.
8 Check warning lamp illuminates for 7 seconds then goes OFF. Turn ignition OFF within 1 second of lamp going OFF
9 Wait 3 seconds then repeat steps 7 & 8 three times
10 Turn ignition ON

Code Format Diagram

Code Format Description

? Each following code is made up of two series of flashes.
? The long flashes indicate the 'tens' digits.
? The short flashes indicate the 'ones' digits.
? A long pause separates each code sequence.
? Once every code has been displayed the code sequence repeats.
? No fault codes indicated by continuous short flashes.
? Code Format Diagram shows code No. 12.

To move to the next screen click on the Continue button
Continue >

Note on Example Model(s): Nissan 100NX
The example model(s) shown, Nissan 100NX for this auto repair service are only an indication to help you. There may be many other models that apply to this connector. Click above link to see the complete vehicle coverage list.

< BackAll content copyright Rennacs Limited, 2009. All products names mentioned herein should be considered registered trademarks of their respective owners.
For comments and feedback please email comments@rennacs.com

Disclaimer
Old 05-19-2010, 06:52 PM

airbag codes restart / read

post above is incorrect i believe
right info for 4th generation maxima from same website below.(which could be still wrong, but at least you can translate code there.

my light was blinking i got codes by trying to restart airbag codes this way:

open driver door.
Get in.
shut door.
turn ignition to the ON position.(all the way but do not start engine)
open door
reach down with your left hand and press the door ajar sensor button (7) times . (i think 7 times in 10 seconds).
start your car...

The information below may apply to Nissan 200SX and many other models
Step 5
Nissan SRS Code Reading

Connector Diagram

Auto Repair Manual - How to read codes (No Special Tools Needed)
If SRS light is already flashing the vehicle may already be displaying fault codes, skip to step 5.
Please Note:When code reading is finished the vehicle must be returned to normal operation mode. Refer to step 7.
1 Turn ignition ON.
2 The SRS warning light will come ON for 7 seconds then go out. Turn the ignition OFF within 1 second of the lamp going out
3 Wait 3 seconds then repeat the above steps 3 times.
4 Switch ignition back ON and wait for the SRS light to begin flashing.
5 Read codes as described in the Code Format Description below.
6 Press the continue button to enter the code numbers and get the code description.

To return vehicle to normal operation mode:7 Ensure ignition is OFF then turn ignition ON.
8 Operate drivers's door switch (interior light) 5 times within 7 seconds of turning ignition ON
9 Turn ignition OFF

Code Format Diagram

Code Format Description
• Each following code is made up of two series of flashes.
• The long flashes indicate the 'tens' digits.
• The short flashes indicate the 'ones' digits.
• A long pause separates each code sequence.
• Once every code has been displayed the code sequence repeats.
• No fault codes indicated by continuous short flashes.
• Code Format Diagram shows code No. 12.

To move to the next screen click on the Continue button
Continue >

Note on Example Model(s): Nissan 200SX
The example model(s) shown, Nissan 200SX for this auto repair service are only an indication to help you. There may be many other models that apply to this connector. Click above link to see the complete vehicle coverage list.
Old 04-27-2012, 08:57 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Originally Posted by mili
hi there,i have a maxima 98 and i have same kind of problems,and i.ve tried whit the door think for many times and days,and it work,last time when i did it it was like 2 m ago,and sience that day is off,
if it came on,take a look under the seat,and move a bit the wires,and then try again whit the door code,
about flashing long and short it did to me to,and i did fore couple times and it go off,sometimes it go on because somebody touch the wires what are under the seat,
for me it work the door code so good luck

if i wrote something bad or wrong sorry,i´m from europe roumanian
I had code 22 where light blinks two fast two slow blinks and I just pushed in all the wires under the seats real good and reset by pushing door jam 7 times, it reset and light is off & it's been good every since so thanks for this info. saved me about 800 bucks
Old 04-27-2012, 08:59 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Make sure all wires under sears are plugged in real secure because when you move seat or put thinks under seat sometimes wires are loose and will throw at bag code
Old 07-26-2020, 06:38 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

I have same issue did you get answer?

Originally Posted by starclassic71
Does anyone know or have a list of all the flasshing codes? Mine is flashing one long then two short. help will be greatly appreciated.
I have same problem did you get any answers?