4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Looking to become part of the family!!!

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2007, 12:56 PM

As far as the tranny issues on the 5sp you can easily get 100k + miles without the problem coming up.Trust me i know 1st hand i work in service at a Nissan dealership and have 1 sitting in my service parking for the "known" issues but it also has 287k miles on it and never had the procedure done before.
The motor in these things with regular maint you can quite easily get 2-3-400k miles out of them with little problems(typical starter/Alternator some of them coil packs depending on years)Typical mileage on the ones through my service are 150k + and even had one with 525k miles on it recently on the original motor.
If you really want to pay 5K for one i would be more then glad to sell you my 97 SE fully loaded that i paid a mere $500 for.Bargains on these things can be found everywhere and the value for them are great.
J/K... about selling mine i wouldn't for much of anything but i do enjoy my car to it's fullest and it has probably been one of the best cars i have ever owned.Everything works and it runs extremly well and highway trips i still get 30+ MPG in it.
My sig shows ya what can be found for cheap if ya just search around abit.I'll update photo's when i get a chance it has G-35 wheels and limo tint on it now.

Last edited by Afterlife; 12-29-2007 at 12:58 PM. Reason: added info
Old 12-29-2007, 03:45 PM

Originally Posted by ROCKART
+1 on the 97,98 over 99.
+1 on the auto over manual. requires less maintenance.

you should be able to find a maxima with low 100s for around or under 4k. and "high mileage" as you said, shouldnt worry you because if you baby these things they will last well into the 200s.

-1 on the american ****ball cars
+1 for all of that
Old 12-29-2007, 03:55 PM

WTF, some serious faggotry in this thread.

What use is a slightly more reliable (which is highly debatable and news to me) automatic 4th gen when you'll want to drive it off a cliff for how slow and boring it is?

If you want to get a stick, get a stick. Don't listen to any retards telling you to stick with auto. I got my 5 speed 2 years ago and I am still in love, I couldn't say the same if I had gotten an automatic.

Given, the 5 speed is not the easiest to drive but it is not very hard either.

Seriously, How someone can tell you to stick with auto just boggles the mind.

Remind me again why no one does a manual-to-auto swap?
And why should someone who enjoys rowing the gears stick to an auto?
Can you push start an auto?
Can you engine break in an auto without damaging the transmission?
Can you manually shift in an auto without damaging it?
How much heavier is an auto?

The only, and I mean ONLY thing the auto has going for it is the taller top gear. There are three reasons to go for an auto, and those are 1) if you are old/lazy/incompetent, 2) if you absolutely need consistant drag times, and 3) if you are lacking a left leg or right arm.

/disorganized rant.

Last edited by MorpheusZero; 12-29-2007 at 04:06 PM.
Old 12-30-2007, 12:25 AM

thanks you guys for the help...i will MOST likely be getting my 5spd Max some time between now and July (big gap i know but gotta make sure money is right) and if i can find a good price i MAY look at 5.0 gens as well...but that may be dreaming too much...

As for modding i dont plan on going further than a CAI or an Y- & B-pipe or a muffler(sounds are the best part of a car to me, esp exhaust). So i think a Max would fulfill that void

But for now imma stop typig cuz im starting to get all over-excited cuz i can smell my Max around the corner...until tomorrow

oh Schrieber i MIGHT just have to talk to you...thats a nice car
Old 12-31-2007, 11:02 AM

I've got a 99 se-limited auto with over 200k and the most expensive repair was a coil pack that went bad. (90 buck brand new from Napa) It's a daily driver that you can load friends into and still have fun in. the vq30de has enough power to make alot of other little 4 cylinder imports cry while still being pretty decent on the gas. besides, if you are looking for a car you can mod, the maxima is a very stable and reliable platform. but the best advice given on here has been to go with what you feel comfortable with. you are going to be the one that has to drive it everyday.

a good idea on the auto/5spd debate. will you get more irritated from shifting in traffic or not. I went for the auto strickly to be more comfortable driving in bad traffic.
Old 01-03-2008, 12:35 AM

Originally Posted by nemesys
I've got a 99 se-limited auto with over 200k and the most expensive repair was a coil pack that went bad. (90 buck brand new from Napa) It's a daily driver that you can load friends into and still have fun in. the vq30de has enough power to make alot of other little 4 cylinder imports cry while still being pretty decent on the gas. besides, if you are looking for a car you can mod, the maxima is a very stable and reliable platform. but the best advice given on here has been to go with what you feel comfortable with. you are going to be the one that has to drive it everyday.

a good idea on the auto/5spd debate. will you get more irritated from shifting in traffic or not. I went for the auto strickly to be more comfortable driving in bad traffic.
I doubt the traffic thing will be an issue...the only time there is bad traffic where i live is in the middle of the day...and ill be in class...only time there is traffic on the way to Atlanta is when some D*** messes up on 75 and 3/4 of the drive is on 16 so ill be good on that...

But how many of u AT drivers WISH for a 5sp???? Just curious...