4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Radio settings erased everytime car is off

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2008, 12:46 PM

Radio settings erased everytime car is off

Hi guys,

Problem: I have an aftermarket cd player (JVC) that doesn't remember my settings (station presets, eq presents, etc) I did NOT install this, it came with my car when I bought it (3months ago).

What do you guys think? Everything else about it seems to work fine...

Before I go taking apart my dash to get at the wires, what specifically should I look for? Power spliced into the wrong cables? (if so, what are the correct cables to splice into? Ground wire?

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!
Old 01-13-2008, 01:12 PM

You dont have a constant or memory wire ran to your cd player. It should be red on most after market units. I would pull it and see were your power wires are ran. That wil fi your problem once you run a constant wire .
Old 01-13-2008, 01:34 PM

^^ he's got it
Old 01-13-2008, 01:45 PM

Which wire color should it be attached to? i.e. what is the normal wire that most people use?
Old 01-13-2008, 01:46 PM

you gotta check the wiring diagram for the headunit and for the max harness. I believe its the yellow wire on the max audio harness but double check. should cure the problem.
Old 01-13-2008, 06:09 PM

Great job guys, you nailed it.

For some odd reason, the person who installed it clipped the yellow wire, then tapped a red wire (ACC) (the wire connected to the HU wiring harness) and left the other half of the yellow wire just haning there...which made me really nervous, because that has a direct connection to the battery and sparked when I accidentally touched it against something.

Can someone tell me why they would do this? Was someone worried about it draining the battery?

Oh, and by the way, my headunit has an aux in up front and a line in in the back, so I always hook my ipod up to the aux in, but it's ugly to see that wire all the time. So what I did was connect a new wire to the "line-in" in the back, and route it through the ashtray (which now has a hole in the bottom, courtesy of my soldering iron) and sit my iPod in the ashtray. Oh, and I removed the ashtray insert, because I don't smoke. My next project is to create a little iPod/mp3 player dock for the ashtray to hold it securely in place.

Thank you guys again!!!!!
Old 01-13-2008, 06:12 PM

Originally Posted by Coolsaber57
Great job guys, you nailed it.

For some odd reason, the person who installed it clipped the yellow wire, then tapped a red wire (ACC) (the wire connected to the HU wiring harness) and left the other half of the yellow wire just haning there...which made me really nervous, because that has a direct connection to the battery and sparked when I accidentally touched it against something.

Can someone tell me why they would do this? Was someone worried about it draining the battery?

Oh, and by the way, my headunit has an aux in up front and a line in in the back, so I always hook my ipod up to the aux in, but it's ugly to see that wire all the time. So what I did was connect a new wire to the "line-in" in the back, and route it through the ashtray (which now has a hole in the bottom, courtesy of my soldering iron) and sit my iPod in the ashtray. Oh, and I removed the ashtray insert, because I don't smoke. My next project is to create a little iPod/mp3 player dock for the ashtray to hold it securely in place.

Thank you guys again!!!!!
They probably didnt know what they where doing. That is the only reason to do something.
Old 01-13-2008, 06:20 PM

True, that's what I figured...I guess I just wanted to give humanity the benefit of the doubt, haha.

Anyway, thanks again guys, now it works flawlessly
Old 01-13-2008, 06:23 PM

Originally Posted by Coolsaber57
True, that's what I figured...I guess I just wanted to give humanity the benefit of the doubt, haha.

Anyway, thanks again guys, now it works flawlessly
Glad we can help you