4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Traction Control Problem or Something Else?

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2008, 04:57 PM

Traction Control Problem or Something Else?

I have had a persistent problem with my 99 se-l ever since the weather started getting cooler. Anytime its cool outside my car's traction control off and slip lights come on simultaneously and also trips 3 heated oxygen sensor codes along with a cylinder 2 misfire code. I can clear these codes and they will not show back up until the traction control lights come on. I have an eerie feeling that its got something to do with the exhaust, everything is aftermarket besides headers that I'm aware of (car was bought like that).I have asked numerous mechanics and even posted a question on the .org about this (recently got new information that i posted on this one that wasn't on the first) and have came up with absolutely nothing, nobody i have talked to knows anything about this mysterious thing called traction control. I am getting not bad but horrible gas mileage with this problem and is extremely aggravating and you guys are my last hope before I'm raped by my local dealership! Please if anybody has any information that could be helpful, let me know!
Old 01-15-2008, 05:15 PM
Whatchyou say?

are you pulling any codes? have you checked it with a code reader to make sure?

sounds to me like a possible bad ECU - but I would suspect more to be wrong than just that if it were the case.
Old 01-15-2008, 05:22 PM

yes the 3 heated o2 sensor codes, a cylinder 2 misfire, and whatever code it is that goes with the cylinder 2 misfire stating that its electrical (can go check code numbers if needed,just let me know if it helps). and if it was the ecu why would temperature come into play?
Old 01-15-2008, 05:31 PM
Member who somehow became The President of The SE-L Club

SE-L here with traction control.
The misfire is causing your problem.

The traction control works with the ignition and fuel system. It cuts engine power when slip is detected. The misfire you have is playing havoc with the traction control system for one reason or another. There was another org member with the same exact problem. Every time he threw a misfire code it also set off the traction control.

In your case, cylinder #2 has a problem. It might be a coil pack or it might be a fuel injector. I'd suggest simply moving coil #2 onto cylinder #3. See if the misfire follows the coil, if it doesn't and you throw a #2 misfire again, look at the fuel injector.

I don't know why your also getting O2 codes, but first get the misfire under control and hopefully everything else will straighten out.
Old 01-15-2008, 05:58 PM

well I'm also getting the 0201 code? along with the 0607,0901,0902,and 1001, but what is related to all of these codes, traction control, o2 sensors, and the temperature outside is whats blowing my mind. Could a faulty coil actually be causing all these problems and do their problems sometimes come and go with temperature and luck?

Last edited by Camfantasy; 01-15-2008 at 06:03 PM.
Old 01-16-2008, 05:27 AM
Whatchyou say?

if it's the injector, that may explain the poor mpgs ..... also, Njmax is onto something ... move the #2 coil pack to #3 and see if you still pull the same codes. you will need to clear the code tho ... will not just do it when you move the coil pack.

Autozone will do it for free ... don't let anyone charge you, that is robbery!
Old 01-16-2008, 08:31 AM
No more Maximas...

Originally Posted by njmaxseltd
I'd suggest simply moving coil #2 onto cylinder #3. See if the misfire follows the coil, if it doesn't and you throw a #2 misfire again, look at the fuel injector.

I don't know why your also getting O2 codes, but first get the misfire under control and hopefully everything else will straighten out.
2 and 3 are on different banks, and are physically different. But I agree with the idea, swap out the coils with the cylinder next to it, see if the code follows suit.

Definitely do misfire before O2...
Old 01-16-2008, 03:54 PM

wouldnt think it could be the injector b/c of the 0201 code could it? dont need autozone i have my own! but could a faulty coil really cause all of the above problems and do their problems sometimes vary with temperature?
Old 01-19-2008, 09:36 AM

is cylinder 2 on the front bank, 1st from the left? thanks for the help so far guys
Old 01-20-2008, 03:49 PM

alright i switched coil 2 with coil 4 and now i get no misfire code and still get the other codes and traction control light and still feels like its skipping. is my car possessed?
Old 01-20-2008, 04:15 PM
VQ30 DE T

Originally Posted by Camfantasy
is cylinder 2 on the front bank, 1st from the left? thanks for the help so far guys
Yes
Old 01-20-2008, 04:19 PM
VQ30 DE T

alright i switched coil 2 with coil 4 and now i get no misfire code and still get the other codes and traction control light and still feels like its skipping. is my car possessed?
If a coil over plug is bad its bad. Switching them did not fix the problem
You should of checked or replaced your spark plugs before swaping the C.O.P.'S
Old 01-20-2008, 06:08 PM

why wouldnt it throw a code though if the plug was causing a misfire?
Old 01-20-2008, 07:33 PM
VQ30 DE T

why wouldnt it throw a code though if the plug was causing a misfire?
You cannot always rely on the scan tool /ecu to spit out codes.
I've had multiple misfires/ dead cylinders that never threw codes.
Even bad C.O.P.'s that would only break up at operating temp or under heavy load.
When is the last time you changed your plugs or fuel filter. I am just saying it wouldnt hurt to start with a basic service(preventive maintenance. $46=plugs& filter $75ish = C.O.P.
Old 01-20-2008, 11:35 PM
Licensed to Spell

:o)

I have had a persistent problem with my 99 se-l ever since the weather started getting cooler. Anytime its cool outside my
guys are my last hope before I'm raped by my local dealership! Please if anybody has any information that could be helpful, let me know!

If it makes you feel any better, I wish I had traction control just to even have a problem with.

:jealous:
Old 01-21-2008, 03:05 PM

Originally Posted by ptatohed
If it makes you feel any better, I wish I had traction control just to even have a problem with.

:jealous:
not with these problems im having with it! im probably goin to have to suck it up and take it to the dealer though, if my future spark plugs dont change nuthin, and knowin my luck it wont.. its bad to get raped by the dealer on a 19 year olds salary. haha and i was savin money up for an indash too ...........

no havent changed the plugs or filter, just bought car from an org member in may (tito i think). but i'll plan on doing that this week....should i ohm the c.o.p. out, would that tell me 4 sure if their bad?

Last edited by Camfantasy; 01-21-2008 at 03:09 PM.
Old 01-23-2008, 07:57 PM

got a cylinder 4 misfire code today, i swapped the cylinder 2 c.o.p. with the cylinder 4 one last weekend. does that mean i definately have a bad coil, or should i put a meter on it? also iv ordered some ngk iridium IX's so i will be installing them

Last edited by Camfantasy; 01-23-2008 at 08:02 PM.