4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Valve cover issues!

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2008, 07:01 AM
Pay to Play

Valve cover issues!

Hello fellas!

I am superright now! I spent 2hrs last night replacing my valve cover gasket. Piece of cake huh! Well this was not my case or sooo i realized i didnt stop a damn leak. I replaced the gasket the first time when i installed my new motor few months ago. I bough the gasket from autozone the first time. The results to that = oil leak right at the corner near the dip stick. Days later I went to buy red RTV to stop the leak = no luck, damn leak was still coming slow. The result to that small leak = from time to time drop by drop killed my alternator.
NOW! I went...got a gasket from nissan....replaced my alternator......got black rtv (super oil resistant) cleaned the Fock outa the area where the valve cover sits......added some of the good new RTV......bolted down slowly and i let it sit over night so it could dry before i turned the beast on.
So this morning im all exited....turned it on and at the same area very little the freaking oil is finding its way out. DAMN!!!!!!! what the crap????? I am not a newbie!!! Ive done all the work on my car my self and this damn little piece of poop is killing me.

So what can the issue be?
1- Bad valve cover
2- Not enough RTV
3- No clue

One thing i remember is that before i installed my motor my friend exchanged the valve cover the motor had for an extra one he had polished. But do valve covers go bad or arent they the same?? I dont think its a valve cover problem.......... Is it? Let me know what u guys think it could be. I wanna fix this leak bfore it kills my alternator again

Thanks
-Albert

Last edited by Stillen Maxima; 01-23-2008 at 07:04 AM.
Old 01-23-2008, 07:28 AM
Former Vendor

this isn't really my kind of thing but could your head/valve covers be warped?
Old 01-23-2008, 07:49 AM
Pay to Play

Originally Posted by BLACKonBLACK98
this isn't really my kind of thing but could your head/valve covers be warped?
Uhh i dont think so because the bolts tight up very well
Old 01-23-2008, 08:13 AM

This is what I did when I took mine off:
1. Removed old gasket from cover
2. Wire brushed cover where gasket was/ carefully on head and by timing cover (tricky spaces got xtra attention) to remove old sealer completely. Then used brake cleaner to completely clean all surfaces.
3. Small bead of Black RTV on both sides on cover
4. Installed gasket on cover
5. Small bead of Black RTV on gasket on cover
6. Installed cover carefully (not to smear RTV.) Let setup for about a minute.
7. Used 1/4" ratchet to tighten bolts hand tight (snug) in criss-cross sequence, starting from center of cover. Going top to bottom, working your way to the outside of the cover.
8. Go back and give a 1/4 to 1/2 turn to "torque" in the same sequence to about 9-26 in/lbs.

I hope this helps. I know you know your stuff, just sometimes the best of us forget something. Gook Luck!
Old 01-23-2008, 08:18 AM
Pay to Play

Originally Posted by alcatranz518
This is what I did when I took mine off:
1. Removed old gasket from cover
2. Wire brushed cover where gasket was/ carefully on head and by timing cover (tricky spaces got xtra attention) to remove old sealer completely. Then used brake cleaner to completely clean all surfaces.
3. Small bead of Black RTV on both sides on cover
4. Installed gasket on cover
5. Small bead of Black RTV on gasket on cover
6. Installed cover carefully (not to smear RTV.) Let setup for about a minute.
7. Used 1/4" ratchet to tighten bolts hand tight (snug) in criss-cross sequence, starting from center of cover. Going top to bottom, working your way to the outside of the cover.
8. Go back and give a 1/4 to 1/2 turn to "torque" in the same sequence to about 9-26 in/lbs.

I hope this helps. I know you know your stuff, just sometimes the best of us forget something. Gook Luck!

Thanks for your help man! i did cover the steps u actually wrote down...so if i go back and re-do the whole thing would the gasket be good still.?? i just got it from nissan brand new?
Old 01-23-2008, 08:23 AM

As long as you didn't over tighten it you'll be fine. The biggest mistakes to this are always insufficient cleaning of surfaces and overtightening.

Just clean it all over again, and start from scratch. Make sure all the surfaces are pristine. Make sure the gasket as well has NO old sealer on it too. Pay special attention to the corners, like by the timing cover and the end by the battery, corners are always prone to leaks. You should be fine. I used the above process on several Maximas now including my own, and have NEVER had a leak.
Old 01-23-2008, 08:30 AM
Pay to Play

As long as you didn't over tighten it you'll be fine. The biggest mistakes to this are always insufficient cleaning of surfaces and overtightening.

Just clean it all over again, and start from scratch. Make sure all the surfaces are pristine. Make sure the gasket as well has NO old sealer on it too. Pay special attention to the corners, like by the timing cover and the end by the battery, corners are always prone to leaks. You should be fine. I used the above process on several Maximas now including my own, and have NEVER had a leak.
Dude come and do mine

I cleaned the damn thing like there was no tomorrow with brake cleaner and even alcohol at the end.
Old 01-23-2008, 08:47 AM

Haha, I would if I could bro...

I'd be careful with alcohol, as it may dry out the rubber gasket. Brake cleaner is a stretch as it is and will if you are not careful and wipe the gasket after you spray it. Make sure the gasket isn't too brittle before you go through this process again. (It should feel as it did when you purchased it - As in its rubbery/soft consistency.)

Lol unless you mean you were cleaning your sorrows with alcohol at the end...
Old 01-23-2008, 08:58 AM
Pay to Play

Haha, I would if I could bro...

I'd be careful with alcohol, as it may dry out the rubber gasket. Brake cleaner is a stretch as it is and will if you are not careful and wipe the gasket after you spray it. Make sure the gasket isn't too brittle before you go through this process again. (It should feel as it did when you purchased it - As in its rubbery/soft consistency.)

Lol unless you mean you were cleaning your sorrows with alcohol at the end...
ha ha ha.......thanks man. I really appreciate ur help. Ima see how its goes when i re do it
Old 01-23-2008, 09:45 AM
No more Maximas...

Originally Posted by Stillen Maxima
ha ha ha.......thanks man. I really appreciate ur help. Ima see how its goes when i re do it
Where are you at in MD?
Old 01-23-2008, 10:03 AM
Pay to Play

Originally Posted by pmohr
Where are you at in MD?
Rockville
Old 01-25-2008, 03:28 PM

the corners are really prone to leak, even the nissan fsm calls out for RTV sealant at the corners, I put it all the way around though, just a bit more at the corners.
Old 01-27-2008, 11:11 AM
Pay to Play

Originally Posted by vilmaxima
the corners are really prone to leak, even the nissan fsm calls out for RTV sealant at the corners, I put it all the way around though, just a bit more at the corners.

Thanks man. I havent had a chance to work on the car yet. But as soon as i get under there i will update yall.