4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

desperate for help: my car died

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2008, 09:37 PM

desperate for help: my car died

I am dieing to know what happened
3.5 swapped 5 speed 4th gen
Ill add more details later when I get home on my comp.
I just put new tires on. Took off from a light hard to test them after driving for about 45 minutes from home with no signs of trouble. I got some wheel hop and the car died. I tried restarting but no luck
It cranks and cranks and cranks.
The fuel pressure gauge reads zero and does not move upon cranking. Fuel pump?
The fuse was fine although another 15amp fuse was blown in the same row, which I forget what it went to. Replaced with spare in fuse box and no start.
I noticed my vafc2 was not turning on with ACC and messed with the wires. bypassed it and connected the maf wire together (to make it as stock) no start.
I plugged in a little diagnostic code reader I have and it gets nothing, says error. I think the ecu may be fried. What do yall think?
Why would the ecu fry spontaneously?

The only other thing I'd like to add is that I had to crank the car excessively longer than normal for it to start about once or twice in the past 2 weeks. Coolant temp sensor was replaced months ago.

Guys...I had to get my car towed to my moms house...things are super hectic right now. I have to fix this car asap.

Thanks a lot..donno waht I'd do without the org.
Old 02-02-2008, 10:07 PM

Originally Posted by chillin014
I noticed my vafc2 was not turning on with ACC and messed with the wires. bypassed it and connected the maf wire together (to make it as stock) no start.
I plugged in a little diagnostic code reader I have and it gets nothing, says error. I think the ecu may be fried. What do yall think?
Why would the ecu fry spontaneously?
Just reading that right there tells me that the ecu is not get any voltage at all needed to run the car. Think about the fact your vafc is hacked into the wiring it uses the same power as your ecu wich will not give codes because its not even turning on. You checked ALL fuses and releys? If every single one checks out id start looking for a plug or harness that may have came undone or some sort of hot wire under the hood that isnt connected anymore. Wheelhop does BAD BAD things! How was your vafc installed? soldering or vampire connectors?
Old 02-02-2008, 10:25 PM

Originally Posted by shortyblu95
Just reading that right there tells me that the ecu is not get any voltage at all needed to run the car. Think about the fact your vafc is hacked into the wiring it uses the same power as your ecu wich will not give codes because its not even turning on. You checked ALL fuses and releys? If every single one checks out id start looking for a plug or harness that may have came undone or some sort of hot wire under the hood that isnt connected anymore. Wheelhop does BAD BAD things! How was your vafc installed? soldering or vampire connectors?
everything was so hectic I didnt even notice that the vafc wasnt on until I had messed with the wiring but I dont think it was coming on even before that. But yes, it IS wired into the ecu's power and all that so I definitely see what your saying there.
I did not check all my fuses and relays, i checked all the fuses in the fuse box under the dash though and the only one blown was like hte 02 sensor which probably isnt related and has been blown for awhile.
The vafc was installed by me, I soldered directly into the ECU wiring just as the instructions said. The only problem I see there is with the vafc harness. the pins are very tiny and loose inside the harness housing and can come loose. I tried to check that the best I could.
Lets say something wasnt making a connection there though. The most important wires going to that would be the MAF input and output, right? Well I bypassed the ecu with that wire since it had the female/male connectors (per the instructions) installed and i could easily reconnect that wire. It didnt make a difference though. And if the ECU isnt getting power, that doesnt have a whole lot to do with the vafc. does it?
i just cant imagine how this would spontaneously fry like that...I know wheel hop is bad. I filled all my motor mounts and re-did my control arm bushings to prevent this kind of thing...

thank you for helping me out here
Old 02-03-2008, 05:28 AM

any specific fuse or anything someone things it might be?
Old 02-03-2008, 06:29 AM
Kevlo for President

Under the hood, check for a ECM or something similar fuse, it sends the 5v to the ECU and I bet it is blown.
Old 02-03-2008, 06:49 AM

Originally Posted by Kevlo911
Under the hood, check for a ECM or something similar fuse, it sends the 5v to the ECU and I bet it is blown.
kevlo.....dude you saved my life. I just went out there and replaced and and the car started up. oh my godddd. thank you so much man. I wish I had checked this before I got the car towed...but I was just in a panic and assuming the worst. lesson learned I guess
why would it just blow out like that though, do you know?

thanks so much.
Old 02-03-2008, 02:20 PM
Kevlo for President

ACF might have shorted it out, double check all your connections and make sure none of the wires are torn/open.
Old 02-03-2008, 02:25 PM

damn...alright. thats gonna be my new paranoia.