4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

250,000 Mile Maintenance

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2008, 02:37 PM

250,000 Mile Maintenance

Hey guys, just picked up a 98SE 5spd with 244k miles for $2000 in mint condition, 1 owner. I've made a list of things that I plan on servicing and wanted to know if I missed anything or if something wasn't necessary. So far I have:

1. Amsoil tranny fluid
2. Amsoil engine oil
3. oil filter
4. air filter
5. oil pump
6. fuel filter
7. ngk platinum plugs/wires
8. water pump/t-stat while I'm there
9. accessory belt

Did I miss anything or should I pull anything off the list? Should any of those items be dealer only or is autozone brand ok? I've got a week to work on it while I wait for plates/insurance. Thanks!
Old 03-16-2008, 02:43 PM

dang thats alot of miles on that year. ha first.
Old 03-16-2008, 02:55 PM
Bacon Lover

Our cars do not have plug wires. We have coil-on-plug ignition. All you need is plugs
Old 03-16-2008, 02:55 PM

well as far as what you listed:
1. why spend more? get regular oil that is recommended by the manual - you will not suddenly increase the life of the components another 100K Mi...
2. again get castrol GTX 5w-30 it is the best dyno, pennzoil 5w-30 is also excellent
3. nissan oil filters are good, but this is meh, if you are going by the 3750K Mi interval for dyno it makes no difference what oil filter you have
4. right, paper, or pre oiled paper (which came on these cars as stock) nothing else, dont be tempted by that k&n oiled fiber filters, or those aem dry flo crap...nothing but paper because it filters the best and is the simplest to service and is the cheapest
5. oil pump ? replacing the engine will be cheaper
6. go to a dealer and ask for a 1996 300zx FF and put that on - nothing else
7. NGK plugs of any type you like - the more they cost the longer they last - no wires, VQ30DE uses coils that you do not do maintenance for, just replace if a coil goes bad and throws a code
8. unless those things are broken you leave them alone
9. you can replace the alternator and power steering belts if you line, just inspect and see what condition they are in, no need to replace too early

let me give you some advice, stop throwing money on a car with that kind of mileage, most likely in a month you will notice squeaking and other "new" noises... wheel bearings, struts and shocks, other suspension components, leaks 5spd failures that they are known for....trust me, just change the basic stuff that doesnt cost too much and prey it will not break down on ya and keep saving for a GTR lololol

but if you got money to burn then get a power flush done of your cooling system ONLY with Nissan Long Life Coolant, inspect all calipers and clean all caliper slider pins, inspect rotors and pads, ball joints and rack and pinion for leakage. engine leaks like the rear main seal and valve covers...keep an eye on the alternator and starter, keep an eye on the electrical system

dried up and cracked wires, shorts, loose grounds and ground bolts,,,, oh man i could go on and on, trust me save your money
Old 03-16-2008, 05:55 PM

Get up under it and inspect your CV joint boots for cracks and tears and replace if you find any. Otherwise, save your money for the problems that are going to happen due to the number of miles it has. GL with it.
Old 03-16-2008, 05:59 PM

wuts t-stats? Thermostat?
Old 03-16-2008, 06:03 PM

just do the oil changes with regular fluids.. that car has a lot of miles on it you dont wanna start changing stuff to synthetic .. you might end up with more problems...
Old 03-17-2008, 01:01 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

219k on mine, I budget $20/mo for repairs (not counting regular maintenance). Last biggie was replacing the tranny. Car runs golden, but I don't expect as much from it nowadays.

Side note: as the car accumulates miles, it somehow becomes more fuel efficient. I have an excel spreadsheet tracking gas vs miles, and using a running 1month avg, it mildly trends upwards.

Dr J
Old 03-17-2008, 01:27 PM

Originally Posted by ThurzNite
219k on mine, I budget $20/mo for repairs (not counting regular maintenance). Last biggie was replacing the tranny. Car runs golden, but I don't expect as much from it nowadays.

Side note: as the car accumulates miles, it somehow becomes more fuel efficient. I have an excel spreadsheet tracking gas vs miles, and using a running 1month avg, it mildly trends upwards.

Dr J
Wish my 3rd gen did this I went from 22mpg to 18.5. Did a full tune-up and my idle improved but MPG was unchanged.
Old 03-17-2008, 01:50 PM

Originally Posted by martells2
Hey guys, just picked up a 98SE 5spd with 244k miles for $2000 in mint condition, 1 owner. I've made a list of things that I plan on servicing and wanted to know if I missed anything or if something wasn't necessary. So far I have:

1. Amsoil tranny fluid
2. Amsoil engine oil
3. oil filter
4. air filter
5. oil pump
6. fuel filter
7. ngk platinum plugs/wires
8. water pump/t-stat while I'm there
9. accessory belt

Did I miss anything or should I pull anything off the list? Should any of those items be dealer only or is autozone brand ok? I've got a week to work on it while I wait for plates/insurance. Thanks!

DONOT switch to Amsoil syn (engine/tranny). You will be inviting leaks.
Old 03-17-2008, 03:21 PM
Infiniti 35 Double G's

274k miles here on a '99...the big things that have "worn out" during that span are:

- starter
- muffler
- CV boots

that's about it; still using plain' ol' 5w30 oil (non-synthetic), and still getting about 23-25mpg, depending on how retardedly i drive on the highway. as long as the car was driven with a good amount of common sense, you'll be fine.
Old 03-17-2008, 03:45 PM

Originally Posted by Love_00_Max
DONOT switch to Amsoil syn (engine/tranny). You will be inviting leaks.
+1 on that. especially the tranny--DO NOT do it. if it's low, add some. if not, leave it the hell alone. i run amsoil, but i started using it when mine only had 25K miles on it.
you start tinkering with one with that many miles, and you end up with problems that might have not even occured. other than changing the air filter, the oil, and the spark plugs, never even raise the hood unless there's a problem.
keep it simple, and you just might drive it for 5 years without a single problem.

of course this is all assuming you're not about to dump $15K in it, and make it a race/show car.
Old 03-17-2008, 04:32 PM

Originally Posted by shaglass
of course this is all assuming you're not about to dump $15K in it, and make it a race/show car.

nope, that's what the other car is for thanks for the advice everyone. the previous owner claims to have run synthetic but who knows if he was just saying that. I'm also quite embarrassed I said plug wires...I knew about the coils!
Old 03-17-2008, 05:55 PM

Originally Posted by SuperChris
274k miles here on a '99...the big things that have "worn out" during that span are:

- starter
- muffler
- CV boots

that's about it; still using plain' ol' 5w30 oil (non-synthetic), and still getting about 23-25mpg, depending on how retardedly i drive on the highway. as long as the car was driven with a good amount of common sense, you'll be fine.
Very sweet, I see you don't mention water pump. The muffler is amazing, at 160k my entire outer shell rusted away about 1 year ago, and it's still fine. Starter has been making the grinding sound now and then for 3 years. Air bag lamp keeps coming back, and I keep unplugging the yellow harness and plugging it back in with a reset, and it goes away until the seat is moved again.
Old 03-17-2008, 07:07 PM

....ummm why is everyone here saying to not fix up the car?? The only thing on your list i wouldnt do would be #8. otherwise everything else is fine. Unless your tranny and engine are showing signs of being in need of serious repair, putting in synthetic shouldnt be an issue. I especially recommend the amsoil in your tranny. Also for the above poster that said dont ever open your hood unless theres a problem...if this is your philosophy, why are you on a car enthusiast forum? If you take car of your car like it seems you are planning to, your engine will last forever.

but like mentioned before i would also check the CV boots. and add a grounding kit cause your old grounds are probably getting bad.