4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

AGX dust boots and noises still! need help from people who have put shocks together

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-2001, 07:54 PM

AGX dust boots and noises still! need help from people who have put shocks together

for the life of me i can't figure this one out. i've assembled the rear shock assemblies the same as the stock layout. it makes a huge noise from metal to metal contact from the shaft hitting the opening hole of the upper shock mount bracket. the order i have it assembled is as follows: dust boot/bump stop on the bottom, then the upper shock mount bracket, then the rubber spacer bushing on top of that, some additional rubber spacers and washers to take up slack that i suddenly have when lowering, then the real washer, finally the upper shock nut. is this the correct order? am i missing a rubber bushing/isolator that goes between the shock boot/bump stop and the upper mount bracket?? so far, its metal to metal contact. that makes a loud noise! can i put a rubber washer there to quiet it down? it's so annoying, plus i have to use those additional rubber spacers on top to take up slack! does anyone know what i'm talking about? pease reply quickly. i have my spring compressors until early next week.
Old 10-30-2001, 09:44 PM

Re: AGX dust boots and noises still! need help from people who have put shocks together

Originally posted by VQdriver
for the life of me i can't figure this one out. i've assembled the rear shock assemblies the same as the stock layout. it makes a huge noise from metal to metal contact from the shaft hitting the opening hole of the upper shock mount bracket. the order i have it assembled is as follows: dust boot/bump stop on the bottom, then the upper shock mount bracket, then the rubber spacer bushing on top of that, some additional rubber spacers and washers to take up slack that i suddenly have when lowering, then the real washer, finally the upper shock nut. is this the correct order? am i missing a rubber bushing/isolator that goes between the shock boot/bump stop and the upper mount bracket?? so far, its metal to metal contact. that makes a loud noise! can i put a rubber washer there to quiet it down? it's so annoying, plus i have to use those additional rubber spacers on top to take up slack! does anyone know what i'm talking about? pease reply quickly. i have my spring compressors until early next week.
i don't know about all those parts but i took out my tokico and put the new agx on. i have the front set on 2 and the rear set on 4. i was so happy that i took a nice drive on the turnpike and hit about 130mph. they only thing i can say is that the difference between the the tokico and the new agx is night and day. i hated my tokico and i sent them back too.
Old 10-30-2001, 09:57 PM

Re: Re: AGX dust boots and noises still! need help from people who have put shocks together

Originally posted by 97GLES
i don't know about all those parts but i took out my tokico and put the new agx on. i have the front set on 2 and the rear set on 4. i was so happy that i took a nice drive on the turnpike and hit about 130mph. they only thing i can say is that the difference between the the tokico and the new agx is night and day. i hated my tokico and i sent them back too.
does anyone know what's up with this? i compared my KYB's to the tokico. both have rubber bump stops only the kyb has a one piece integrated into the shock boot. tokico does not. now, the tokico DOES have an upper bushing that's supposed to cover the metal end piece that makes contact with the hole in the metal bracket/mount (sorry, but only those who have actually seen it know what i'm talking about). the KYBs don't have such a thing, so the shaft makes metal to metal contact with the mount. can anyone correct this? has anyone even faced this type of problem w/ the KYBs? the shocks are perfect! it's this blasted mount that keeps banging on me. it's only a matter of isolating this metal to metal contact with something! need more help! come on people! those who have actually installed KYBs please come forward and help a fellow max driver out!
Old 10-31-2001, 04:00 AM

dremel the mount for more clearance for the shaft.
Old 10-31-2001, 07:55 AM
Member who somehow became The President of The SE-L Club

Re: AGX dust boots and noises still! need help from people who have put shocks together

for the life of me i can't figure this one out. i've assembled the rear shock assemblies the same as the stock layout. it makes a huge noise from metal to metal contact from the shaft hitting the opening hole of the upper shock mount bracket. the order i have it assembled is as follows: dust boot/bump stop on the bottom, then the upper shock mount bracket, then the rubber spacer bushing on top of that, some additional rubber spacers and washers to take up slack that i suddenly have when lowering, then the real washer, finally the upper shock nut. is this the correct order? am i missing a rubber bushing/isolator that goes between the shock boot/bump stop and the upper mount bracket??

YES YOU ARE ! ! ! !

so far, its metal to metal contact. that makes a loud noise! can i put a rubber washer there to quiet it down? it's so annoying, plus i have to use those additional rubber spacers on top to take up slack! does anyone know what i'm talking about? pease reply quickly. i have my spring compressors until early next week.
If I remember correctly there is a rubber piece and a round metal cup like thing that go after the dust cover. The rubber piece, looks like a bump stop but isn't, sort of fits into this cup like thing. I think you have that in the wrong spot, causing the piston to hit part of the upper strut mount.
Old 10-31-2001, 09:03 AM

Re: Re: AGX dust boots and noises still! need help from people who have put shocks together

Originally posted by njmaxseltd

If I remember correctly there is a rubber piece and a round metal cup like thing that go after the dust cover. The rubber piece, looks like a bump stop but isn't, sort of fits into this cup like thing. I think you have that in the wrong spot, causing the piston to hit part of the upper strut mount.
how do i fix it? the dust boot/bump stop slips over the shaft. the inside of the dust boot is shaped into a tapered cylinder as if it's "supposed" to go past the little raised metal surface on the shaft. being that it can slide all the way to the bottom, this leaves the metal shaft exposed to hit the bracket on the top mount. how do i fix this?? be very descriptive. the upper mount is only black metal. i didn't see any additional rubber pieces that fit on the bottom side to insulate it from noise. someone please give me a credible answer. i want to do this correctly and asap!
Old 10-31-2001, 10:39 AM

Re: Re: Re: AGX dust boots and noises still! need help from people who have put shocks together

how do i fix it? the dust boot/bump stop slips over the shaft. the inside of the dust boot is shaped into a tapered cylinder as if it's "supposed" to go past the little raised metal surface on the shaft.

Yes, thats correct

being that it can slide all the way to the bottom, this leaves the metal shaft exposed to hit the bracket on the top mount. how do i fix this??

There is a washer which sits on the tapered end of the piston rod, then comes a rubber bushing, then the rubber isolator (this rubber piece has the notches) which the spring sits on, then the upper strut mount with the 2 bolts which slide through into the trunk, on top of that mount is another rubber bushing, then a washer, then the piston rod nut.

Sounds like your missing the washer and bushing which sits on the top small taper ledge of the piston rod.

be very descriptive. the upper mount is only black metal. i didn't see any additional rubber pieces that fit on the bottom side to insulate it from noise. someone please give me a credible answer. i want to do this correctly and asap!
If you have a fax number, I can fax you the diagram right from Nissan. Or I can send you a .jpg file to your e-mail address. Which would you like?
Old 10-31-2001, 11:01 AM

Re: Re: Re: Re: AGX dust boots and noises still! need help from people who have put shocks together

Originally posted by njmaxseltd

If you have a fax number, I can fax you the diagram right from Nissan. Or I can send you a .jpg file to your e-mail address. Which would you like?
please email me at maxgxe97@yahoo.com. ASAP i would like at least get to a dealer to have a part. maybe the installation will follow. thanks. and please, if anyone else has more input, that would be greatly appreciated!
Old 10-31-2001, 11:14 AM

Set the file. Let us know how you make out.

Good luck!