4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

1 step colder with the plugs?

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2008, 07:28 AM

1 step colder with the plugs?

Anyone ever go one step colder with the heat range on plugs on a bone stock VQ? Just curious if they would foul up
Old 04-15-2008, 07:43 AM
Administrator

There is absolutely no need to go with one step colder plugs on a stock VQ. Don't do it.
Old 04-15-2008, 07:59 AM

Originally Posted by The Wizard
There is absolutely no need to go with one step colder plugs on a stock VQ. Don't do it.
So.....they'll foul out then?
Old 04-15-2008, 08:21 AM
'Trynna' is not a word

Originally Posted by locklear
So.....they'll foul out then?
No, but you will make less power, which will also have a negative, albeit slight, affect on your gas milage. Stick with stock.
Old 04-15-2008, 08:35 AM

Originally Posted by mtrai760
Stick with stock.
Will do.....thanks.
Have you tried ngk iridiums ix's? I've got them in my ca18det s12, and they do well.....and was thinking about putting them in the vq
Old 04-15-2008, 08:40 AM
Administrator

Originally Posted by locklear
Will do.....thanks.
Have you tried ngk iridiums ix's? I've got them in my ca18det s12, and they do well.....and was thinking about putting them in the vq
What exactly are you trying to accomplish by not using the NGK spark plug that is specified for your bone stock VQ??
Old 04-15-2008, 09:02 AM

With the IX's and stock "5" heat range......longevity mostly, maybe better fuel efficiency, maybe crisper throttle response.

With IX's and one step colder "6" heat range...my hopes were (and I know it's a bandaid), but I was wondering if it would take care of my engine ping, that I ONLY seem to get on hot summer days, which in turn throws the knock sensor code. But if the colder plug will cause other problems on a stock motor, then I don't want to go that route.

I've tried the ngk V-powers a long time ago, and wasn't impressed with them in the vq
Old 04-15-2008, 09:14 AM
Administrator

Have you tried to diagnose the cause of the pinging?? There are four major causes of pinging. Severe engine overheating, carbon buildup, malfunctioning EGR, and incorrect ignition timing.

I'd start by checking the EGR system, the cooling system and the ignition timing. And if none of those things fix it, then you'll have to consider using a higher-octane fuel (100 octane unleaded race gas),
that will drop your internal engine temps a little...

Have you pulled the spark plugs and looked for signs of carbon build-up? There could be excessive amounts of carbon buildup inside the cylinders and on the pistons thus raising the compression ratio and internal temps. The carbon is also known for retaining heat.

Old 04-15-2008, 09:22 AM
SLOW

People really read too much into spark plugs and all the snake oil that spark plug companies feed them.

What exactly didn't you like about the regular NGK V-powers that you believe some other spark plug did better?
Old 04-15-2008, 09:40 AM

I actually pulled the plugs a couple of days ago, which are Denso iridiums, and have almost 60k miles on them, and was the first time I have pulled them since I put them in back in '03. I was suprised and happy to see that all 6 of them have a light grey "normal" appearence.
Cooling system is fine....needle has always stayed smack in the middle of the gauge....and has NEVER gone above. I am going to flush/ change the coolant before summer gets here, and kicking around the idea with maybe a 30/ 70 distilled water mix with Redline water wetter.
I've always used the highest avail octane pump gas....where I live now is 93, and back out in Cali was 91.
I'll check the timing today. How do I check the egr, and carbon build-up?

As far as the v-powers.....short life span
Thanks

Last edited by locklear; 04-15-2008 at 09:48 AM.
Old 04-15-2008, 10:39 AM

i never run platinums or iridums in my mx-6 tubro and my s12 which i don't have anymore. some boosted motors don't respond well to those plugs because they heat up and cause pre mature combustion which is probably why ur pinging in the summer. stick with regular ngk's and if anything i'd shorten up the gap a bit to prevent spark blow out.
Old 04-15-2008, 10:57 AM

Originally Posted by Xzecution'R
i never run platinums or iridums in my mx-6 tubro and my s12 which i don't have anymore. some boosted motors don't respond well to those plugs because they heat up and cause pre mature combustion which is probably why ur pinging in the summer. stick with regular ngk's and if anything i'd shorten up the gap a bit to prevent spark blow out.
My maxima is not boosted, so spark blow out shouldn't be an issue.....especially on a boner stock motor