4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

I need a boards opinion on Ksport Coilovers...

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2008, 04:58 PM

I need a boards opinion on Ksport Coilovers...

http://forums.maxima.org/showthread.php?t=322620

$795?

I think that is a pretty decent price. I wanted Tein basics, but they are too much and someone said that these are better? Cause they have more adjusting? Sorry I am a noob at the best brands of Coilovers. I just know that Tein makes the best usually...

And what is the pros and cons of these?
Old 05-18-2008, 05:10 PM

uh, they look cool?

I don't know anything bout ksport suspension. Sorry, i would like to know too
Old 05-18-2008, 05:45 PM
i has college

Do more research before you make a decision. That's a lot of money to drop on something you're not knowledgeable about.
Old 05-18-2008, 05:49 PM

Well played sir... I just wanted to know what the 4th genners thought of this brand.
Old 05-18-2008, 05:51 PM
I support for what?

Search is your friend. There is tons of into out there. I dont know exactly what your looking for out of coils? If your wanting some comfort then go with teins or progress. I believe progress is discontinued now but they were prob some of the better ones at the lower price. Ksports and D2's are comparable and they are a harsher riding spring so dont expect tons of comfort unless you go with a soft spring rate but I would choose D2s over Ksports. Some ppl have reported blown struts etc. There used to be a big noise issue with them. Just do your research and you will learn.

Here ill get you started. Biggest thread out there on these.

http://forums.maxima.org/showthread....ghlight=ksport
Old 05-18-2008, 06:00 PM

I just want to adjust my height on the go. If I am gonna spend this much money on suspension, I mine as well have the ability to adjust my height on the fly, As well as damper level. I don't care how rough it is... I just don't want a pebble to make my steering wheel turn...
Old 05-18-2008, 06:12 PM
I support for what?

I will tell you now dont be expecting to adjust these in like 5 min and when you mess with the height you gotta get an alignment. Anytime you wanna make adjustments you pretty much gotta take the wheels off. The adjustments nuts on the rear struts of mine actually have frozen together so I cant even adjust the height unless I take the entire strut off and put the bottom sleeve into a vice to get enough grip to twist it.

I dont know how the roads are where you live but you gotta be on the lookout for every pothole out there. Some of the bumps you hit make it feel as if your car just fell apart. And if you have harsh winters I dont recommend running them all season long as they will blow in cold weather.
Old 05-18-2008, 07:12 PM

yah, I do know that much that I shouldn't ilke adjust them all of time cause you could get problems, but I didn't know you needed an alightment everytime you touched the height... Thats kind of a bummer. =[

I also pretty much figured you had to take the wheels off, heh... I don't think I would adjust mine with all the weight on them anyway...

Will these really go bad in the winter? I do have winters overhere but I did not think that they can blow that way. I don't wanna put 800 bucks into this if I can't have them for the winter. I will most likey put it at stock height for winter though.
Old 05-18-2008, 10:27 PM

I would vote against them. Read the last 4 pages of the Ksport thread and you will see how Bigpulve, g4nismo, a few others and I have had issues.

They make noise. The struts blow easily(although the new ones claim not too, but theyre too new to tell...). The ride is stiff. They loosen and 'adjust' the alignment(no toe/camber is affected, but your steering wheel is just off center).

On the other hand, they are light. They perform impeccably, and they are orange.
Old 05-18-2008, 10:40 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Originally Posted by Mxrider52
I will tell you now dont be expecting to adjust these in like 5 min and when you mess with the height you gotta get an alignment. Anytime you wanna make adjustments you pretty much gotta take the wheels off. The adjustments nuts on the rear struts of mine actually have frozen together so I cant even adjust the height unless I take the entire strut off and put the bottom sleeve into a vice to get enough grip to twist it.

I dont know how the roads are where you live but you gotta be on the lookout for every pothole out there. Some of the bumps you hit make it feel as if your car just fell apart. And if you have harsh winters I dont recommend running them all season long as they will blow in cold weather.

Yeah I've seen that, heat helps greatly (careful now), I almost had to give up. I was...... of course........... Replacing a blown one! What a suprise!
Old 05-18-2008, 10:47 PM

If all you care about is ride heighth and performance they are not a bad investment. If you want no hassles, no noises, dependability, nice comfortable ride or want to set them and forget them than K sports arent for you.

I have had my K sports since about July of 07 and they were great up until the Nebraska winter hit. Then all I had were problems. First the pillow ball mount locked up causing major spring binding issues along with screwing up my alignment. Then after taking them apart multiple times and regreasing them I had no issues. But now not 2 months after regreasing them I have spring popping issues. Also the K sports ride kinda bouncy no matter what damper setting or amount of preload set. IMO is because of the low spring rate K sports uses that causes this.

Other major problems I have heard with them but not experienced myself are blown struts, the upper and lower bolts loosening, both spring perches loosening and causing noises and weak spring rates.

So if you think you can live with lots of maintanence issues, monitoring them, taking them out for regreasing, and random annoying issues then you should get them....For the performance and ability to control height these are a very good bargain considering most spring/strut setups will run about 700 for good stuff.
Old 05-19-2008, 06:34 AM
Boosted Panda

Originally Posted by Coremanx
http://forums.maxima.org/showthread.php?t=322620

$795?

I think that is a pretty decent price. I wanted Tein basics, but they are too much and someone said that these are better? Cause they have more adjusting? Sorry I am a noob at the best brands of Coilovers. I just know that Tein makes the best usually...

And what is the pros and cons of these?

I paid 780.00 shipped for my Teins, theyve gone up a bit now since Ive ordered them form this place,..
http://www.prostreetonline.com/pnsku/dsp28-luss2.asp
But still worth every penny. They ride so much nicer then my previous spring/strut setup.
Old 05-19-2008, 03:27 PM

I'm rolling on Ksports...I don't have major issues(knock on wood). My car is my daily driver. I drive 40 miles to work. Only problems that I know of is...steering wheel is off center and blown cv boot(not ksports fault). The ride is just fine though. Really hugs the corners now. Its not fast to adjust ride height but adjusting stiffness is a breeze. Gotta love that.
Old 05-19-2008, 06:26 PM

Originally Posted by bigpulve
If all you care about is ride heighth and performance they are not a bad investment. If you want no hassles, no noises, dependability, nice comfortable ride or want to set them and forget them than K sports arent for you.

I have had my K sports since about July of 07 and they were great up until the Nebraska winter hit. Then all I had were problems. First the pillow ball mount locked up causing major spring binding issues along with screwing up my alignment. Then after taking them apart multiple times and regreasing them I had no issues. But now not 2 months after regreasing them I have spring popping issues. Also the K sports ride kinda bouncy no matter what damper setting or amount of preload set. IMO is because of the low spring rate K sports uses that causes this.

Other major problems I have heard with them but not experienced myself are blown struts, the upper and lower bolts loosening, both spring perches loosening and causing noises and weak spring rates.

So if you think you can live with lots of maintanence issues, monitoring them, taking them out for regreasing, and random annoying issues then you should get them....For the performance and ability to control height these are a very good bargain considering most spring/strut setups will run about 700 for good stuff.
yeh, i don't think the dampening adjusters are that effective. the adjusters probably peak in the middle of the adjustment range, meaning full hard was softer than full soft but of course i wouldn't know for sure b/c i don't have individual dyno plots for each of my shocks b/c there $110 a pop!

you said you think its b/c of the "low spring rate"? how are ksport's spring rates low? i don't know off the top of my head but i thought their's were A LOT higher than most others.
Old 05-19-2008, 07:10 PM
Administrator

Originally Posted by Mxrider52
Search is your friend. There is tons of into out there.

Here ill get you started. Biggest thread out there on these.

http://forums.maxima.org/showthread....ghlight=ksport

How in the world did you not see that thread?? It's the mother of all K-sport threads and has been on page 1 forever. Read it 5 times, then come to your own conclusions.

IMO, K-sports get a
Old 05-19-2008, 07:19 PM

Do you people with ksports think that they could be dependable for a daily driver application at 2" front and 1.5" back drop with semi-aggressive driving on decent roads? I've read through the 50 pages of the ksport thread and planned on getting them until I read the last few post from people that said they regretted buying them. I've since been on the fence on choosing these or illuminas/h-techs.
Old 05-19-2008, 08:42 PM

Originally Posted by g4nismo
yeh, i don't think the dampening adjusters are that effective. the adjusters probably peak in the middle of the adjustment range, meaning full hard was softer than full soft but of course i wouldn't know for sure b/c i don't have individual dyno plots for each of my shocks b/c there $110 a pop!

you said you think its b/c of the "low spring rate"? how are ksport's spring rates low? i don't know off the top of my head but i thought their's were A LOT higher than most others.
well by low spring rate I mean lower than it should be....IIRC they are only like 350ish in front and I dont recall the rear....IMO thats too low for a CO setup...hell stock is 250ish for SE springs.
Old 05-19-2008, 09:49 PM

^^^ oh ok. anyways, this shouldn't even be in this section. don't wanna another 500page of a repeated debate. close or move
Old 05-20-2008, 12:18 AM

after I convert back to stock I am looking at AGXs and sprints in the front with Maxspeeds in the rear....I loved the AGXs and sprints when I had them....shouldnt have sold them.
Old 05-20-2008, 07:13 AM
Boosted Panda

Originally Posted by bigpulve
after I convert back to stock I am looking at AGXs and sprints in the front with Maxspeeds in the rear....I loved the AGXs and sprints when I had them....shouldnt have sold them.
I hated them. I liked the stance the Sprints gave, but that spring paired with the AGX made the ride so harsh, even more so on cold mornings.
Sooooo much happier now that I have the Tein setup.
Old 05-20-2008, 10:56 AM

I have ksports on a 98 I30 for a year and half and so far they have been pretty good.
I had 18" wheels for a year and of course the ride is harsh but you get a nice grip corners, now I have bbs 15" and the ride is much better.
I never adjust the ride not even for the winter, I only adjust the stiffness.
Old 05-20-2008, 03:52 PM
R34

Junk!

I had mine less than a year before it leaked on the rear right. I would get other brand. But with that kind of price, yes, it's okay. I will not get them imo.
Old 05-22-2008, 05:50 AM
Kevlo for President

Please search