4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Cleared out lights using oven!!!!!Just want to say

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-2001 | 06:12 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Cleared out lights using oven!!!!!Just want to say

I want to say thank you to everyone who posted instructions on how to do this using the oven. I didnt use a cookie sheet just a wet rag on top of the grill inside the oven and left the lights for 4 and half mins at about 225 degrees (do not go over 225 degrees or leave in there for more than 5 mins). It worked out great it was fairly simple to take them apart the part that kicked my butt was cutting out the white light cover, which I got from home depot for $2.18, and that is the poor mans upgrade and I love it. My wife was like I hope those da... lights melt in there and my friend is looking at me like I am crazy and he left. He later came back to see that I was serious about it. Not hard at all, but you will need a dremel or the craftsman type dremel to cut the the light cover and highly recommend using a piece of box carton as your outline it will help alot trust me. Just want to let you guys know that nothing melted at all. Next upgrade the corners and clutch and two last will be the S/Charger and brakes which I will buy next year so if anyone thinks they are going to sell their S/C some time next year let me know. Will repost pics of my ride later on this month

[img]C:\My Documents\My Pictures\001.jpg[/img]
Old 11-03-2001 | 06:28 PM

Good job Jaime.
Old 11-03-2001 | 07:08 PM

I let my lights bake for 285 for 7 minutes . No cookie sheet or nothing and it worked.
Old 11-03-2001 | 07:16 PM
...needs to please stop post whoring.

!!!

Congradualtions on the success. Too bad mine came out ****ed up, I left them there for 15 min. at like 250. They pulled apart well, but I melted the lens and it came out all wavy and stuff afterwards. The oven works well though, just don't leave it there for too long!
Old 11-03-2001 | 09:21 PM

Re: !!!

Originally posted by NYCe MaXiMa
Congradualtions on the success. Too bad mine came out ****ed up, I left them there for 15 min. at like 250. They pulled apart well, but I melted the lens and it came out all wavy and stuff afterwards. The oven works well though, just don't leave it there for too long!

Yeah I read your post and got the info that scissors make all type of cracks I tried it and sure did start to crack but I had that craftsman rotary tool next to me so thats what I used after cutting 4 pieces and cracking one I was like darn that dude (referring to you) must have been mad pist cause I was starting to loose my patience after a while. Too short!!!!!!tooo long!!!!!!!! ahh over did it!!!!! and so on. but to be on the very safe side no more than 225 degrees more than 5 mins tops cause when I toched the plastic it was soft and pliable just had to separate the lens all around with a flat head screw driver all around and pulled on it gently and it just came apart fairly easy. That was a simple mod.

Old 11-03-2001 | 09:26 PM

Another tool you can use to cut the plastic is a sharp box cutter/razor and a straight edge. I got a razor and ran it along a straight edge and it cut clean. You just need to go over it a few times.
Old 11-03-2001 | 09:38 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

you busted out the big guns and tools..

i used a small hacksaw with masking tape on the flourescent lens cover to cut it straight without cracks and a heat gun to heat up the tails.. oven scares me..

you need to post pics of your interior and engine bay.. i'd like to see some full views of your car.
Old 11-03-2001 | 10:08 PM
...needs to please stop post whoring.

Re: Re: !!!

Originally posted by JAY25

Yeah I read your post and got the info that scissors make all type of cracks I tried it and sure did start to crack but I had that craftsman rotary tool next to me so thats what I used after cutting 4 pieces and cracking one I was like darn that dude (referring to you) must have been mad pist cause I was starting to loose my patience after a while. Too short!!!!!!tooo long!!!!!!!! ahh over did it!!!!! and so on. but to be on the very safe side no more than 225 degrees more than 5 mins tops cause when I toched the plastic it was soft and pliable just had to separate the lens all around with a flat head screw driver all around and pulled on it gently and it just came apart fairly easy. That was a simple mod.

man, you would not imagine what kind of stuff i was going through. I was attempting to finish it all before dark.. I did not think I melted the lens bad until I began to put the assembly back together and it didn't line up well.
The biggest problems I had is cutting out the flourescent light cover, I started off trying scissors, then I tried a glass cutter, then I tried a sharp knife and then I went to the dremmel tool, which worked best to cut it somewhat straight. I wanted to make a perfect flourescent cover to completely replace the orange and little red pieces in the turn signal, I couldn't get it to fit perfect and I wasted a ton of the flourescent light material cutting out the perfect lens. Finally I got a good 1 and as I was putting it in the ****ing thing chipped a small piece off! I was ****ed and just said screw it and crazy glued the little piece back on and put it back in, only problem is it fogged up. check it out
Old 11-03-2001 | 11:58 PM

yea it was a *itch for me cuz i used the whole heat gun process crap, chipped a corner of my tailight and melted a bit of it, but nuthin serious and it dont even show now after i got it done, but as for the flourescent cover, damn that was annoying, i tried everything but in the end, no1 has ever tried it but i did...i used a soldering iron and melted an outline of the lens and that did it just about perfect, took MADDDD long cuz i had to melt it slowly centimeter by centimeter and that was annoying as hell but it came out good, way better then any cutting tool. sum1 should try it, it worked well for me.
Old 11-04-2001 | 05:42 AM

Re: Cleared out lights using oven!!!!!Just want to say

Originally posted by JAY25
I want to say thank you to everyone who posted instructions on how to do this using the oven. I didnt use a cookie sheet just a wet rag on top of the grill inside the oven and left the lights for 4 and half mins at about 225 degrees (do not go over 225 degrees or leave in there for more than 5 mins). It worked out great it was fairly simple to take them apart the part that kicked my butt was cutting out the white light cover, which I got from home depot for $2.18, and that is the poor mans upgrade and I love it. My wife was like I hope those da... lights melt in there and my friend is looking at me like I am crazy and he left. He later came back to see that I was serious about it. Not hard at all, but you will need a dremel or the craftsman type dremel to cut the the light cover and highly recommend using a piece of box carton as your outline it will help alot trust me. Just want to let you guys know that nothing melted at all. Next upgrade the corners and clutch and two last will be the S/Charger and brakes which I will buy next year so if anyone thinks they are going to sell their S/C some time next year let me know. Will repost pics of my ride later on this month

good job man.hard work brings nice results..usually that is.
Old 11-04-2001 | 10:23 AM

I cant wait to do my tails. Glad to see that this might not be as hard or frightning as I tought.

SuDZ