4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Impossible to replace fuel filter? Especially with ABS

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2008, 06:35 PM

Impossible to replace fuel filter? Especially with ABS

I looked at mine and after trying to disconnect the hoses I thought "no flippin way...." In about 5 minutes of getting ABSOLUTELY nowhere I decided to take a different approach. I just said screw it and pulled the hose from the fuel rail, jacked up the car, took the drivers side wheel off, dangled the fuel filter down there and then went to town and it was a lot easier (I changed it out in less than 10 minutes), especially with that ABS controller and respective brake lines right in front of the fuel filter.

I searched the forums on how to do it and couldn't find any real helpful tips, so I just thought I would post this up in case it can be of any help to anyone.

Just some additional tips posted in this thread:

Originally Posted by hurleybob
Just another tip. Dip a rag in boiling water and wrap it over the hose for a minute. Softens up the rubber making pulling it off MUCH easier.
Originally Posted by The Wizard
Very true. I use a blowdryer to do the same thing.

Last edited by modenaf1; 06-11-2008 at 10:02 AM.
Old 06-09-2008, 08:56 PM

nice how-to
Old 06-09-2008, 09:00 PM
95maxdvt

Originally Posted by modenaf1
I looked at mine and after trying to disconnect the hoses I thought "no flippin way...." In about 5 minutes of getting ABSOLUTELY nowhere I decided to take a different approach. I just said screw it and pulled the hose from the fuel rail, jacked up the car, took the drivers side wheel off, dangled the fuel filter down there and then went to town and it was a lot easier (I changed it out in less than 10 minutes), especially with that ABS controller and respective brake lines right in front of the fuel filter.

I searched the forums on how to do it and couldn't find any real helpful tips, so I just thought I would post this up in case it can be of any help to anyone.

Im looking @ ur vehicle list and GET THE F OUT LOL
you have a stock maxima and u list that ur taurus WAGON is 200hp??
GO TO SLEEP

Old 06-09-2008, 09:33 PM

lol dude you might get flamed for this and i dont blame them, it takes 10 min to do it without jacking your car up. did u disconnect the fuel pump fuse and relieve all the pressure from the fuel lines? some cranking of the starter to get all the pressure out.
Old 06-09-2008, 09:48 PM

Originally Posted by 95maxdvt
Im looking @ ur vehicle list and GET THE F OUT LOL
you have a stock maxima and u list that ur taurus WAGON is 200hp??
GO TO SLEEP

Umm.....wow. +1 and thumbs up for you and useful posts on the .org. [/sarcasm]

Do some research of the 3.0 Liter Duratec V6 back in 1996. 3 liter dual overhead cam, it had primary and secondary intake ports on each cylinder, one was closed below 3500RPM for better torque and above 3500 the butterflies snap open for better high RPM breathing. Yes, that is a somewhat variable intake manifold.

In fact here are some interesting facts on the engine:

Mazda AJ was introduced in 1996 as a replacement for the 232 in³ (3.8 L) Essex V6 in the Taurus/Sable. It has 2967 cc of displacement and produces between 200 and 240 hp (150 and 180 kW). The same basic engine is used in the Jaguar S-Type, Lincoln LS, Mazda MPV, Mazda6, Mondeo ST220 and many other Ford vehicles. It is essentially a bored-out (to 89 mm) Duratec 25 and is built in Ford Motor Company's Cleveland, OH #2 plant. A slightly modified version for the Ford Five Hundred entered production at the Cleveland, OH #1 plant in 2004. There are two key versions of the Duratec 30:
  • DAMB - The Lincoln LS and Jaguar AJ30 versions have direct-acting mechanical bucket (DAMB) tappets. Output is 232 hp (173 kW) at 6750 rpm with 220 ft·lbf (298 N·m) of torque at 4500 rpm.
  • RFF - The Taurus/Sable/Escape version uses roller finger followers (RFF) instead and produces 201 hp (150 kW) at 5900 rpm with 207 ft·lbf (281 N·m) of torque at 4400 rpm.
The 2006 Ford Fusion, Mercury Milan, and Lincoln Zephyr feature a version of the Duratec 30 utilizing variable valve timing. The engine has an output of 221 hp (165 kW) at 6250 rpm, and 205 ft·lbf (278 N·m) of torque at 4800 rpm.
A Twin-turbocharged version of this engine is used in the Noble M400, a British supercar. The engine is rebuilt and tuned to a max power of 425 bhp (317 kW) @ 6500 rpm, with a torque figure of 390 ft·lbf (530 N·m) @ 5000 rpm. Noble has used forged pistons, an oil cooler, a larger baffled oil sump and extra cooling ducts to maintain its durability.
Mazda's MZI version adds variable valve timing, as does Jaguar's AJ30. Note that the MZI name is also used in Europe on Mazda's version of the Ford Sigma I4. The 3.0 L, 226 hp (169 kW) V6 used in the Mondeo ST220 is called Duratec ST. The 3.0 L, 204 hp (152 kW) V6 in the Mondeo Titanium is called Duratec SE.
Note the end part...it is twin turbocharged and they use it in the Noble sports cars. The reason? Not only is it capable of taking forced induction, it is one of the most lightweight 3.0 V6's of the 90's and even today.

Oh and also...

The primary engineering input came from Porsche, who were developing a similar V6 before selling the engineering to Ford, and Cosworth, who helped with cylinder head manufacturing. They were also used in the Ford Cougar.
I might also note that this engine was on Wards 10 best engines list as well.

Do some research before you embarrass yourself with asinine comments like the above. As far as my Maxima being stock, I just bought it, on the to-do list is:

Cattman y-pipe
UDP
Eibach Prokit springs
Tokico Blues struts (id prefer illuminas but they may not fit in the budget)
FSTB
RSB

Let me guess? On yours you hit up ricersRus and threw on some body pieces? Because it sure sounds like it from your post. You are a shame to the .org. Do yourself a favor, go buy a civic and join some ricer forum and get the **** out.

Oh yes, and I forgot one thing, while on the topic of your post, who actually is laughing at who? I have done my fair share of axle replacements in the past, never before have I wedged a leaf spring in there and pounded it with a sledge. Yikes..if you want to laugh at the fact that my previous car was a Taurus wagon, just think about the fact that the transmission and both axles in it are in tip top shape while you are tearing your tranny apart trying to fish out that snap ring......whos laughing at who now?

Last edited by modenaf1; 06-09-2008 at 10:07 PM.
Old 06-09-2008, 09:51 PM

Originally Posted by B_Eaze
lol dude you might get flamed for this and i dont blame them, it takes 10 min to do it without jacking your car up. did u disconnect the fuel pump fuse and relieve all the pressure from the fuel lines? some cranking of the starter to get all the pressure out.
Why would I get flamed? I know how to change a fuel filter....relieving the pressure has nothing at all to do with this, obviously you have never changed your fuel filter before, your car doesn't have abs, or you have small hands, because what I am referring to is the impossible nature of getting your hands in there to disconnect it.

Geeze, I post up what I did to more easily change my fuel filter to help out other people and I get a flippin flame fest....you guys have got to be kidding me.
Old 06-09-2008, 09:56 PM

i have abs, yes it is a pain in the booty. takes A LOT of patience. i found that removing the output hose from the hard fuel line rather than pulling the hose off of the filter made it somewhat easier.
Old 06-09-2008, 10:16 PM

Hey good post man. I guess some people take those Fast and the Delirious movies to literally .
Old 06-10-2008, 05:47 AM

i definitely dont have large hands and i have abs. change my fuel filter with a zx one in ten minutes including relieving time in march, maybe its jus me.

oh and double posting instead of editing ur post will get you flamed but hey.... do you man
Old 06-10-2008, 06:34 AM

it just takes patiance, no need to jack the car. That top hose is a ***** to get off, but will come off eventually.
Old 06-10-2008, 07:00 AM

I changed mine without doing all of that and I have ABS.

Also have you had your taurus dynoed? I've seen a stock SHO put down 180.
Old 06-10-2008, 07:40 AM

+1 i have abs and changed it to the zx filter in less then 10 min. It was a little stuck on but it came with some work. To his defence he posted 200 hp not 200whp so a dyno of 180 whp could be about 200 at the fly
Old 06-10-2008, 08:59 AM
wants an I35

yea removing the airbox adds a lot of room to get your hands in there.

when i (mohfpro) did it the IACV and TB were off as well.
Old 06-10-2008, 09:05 AM

Thanks for the info. I could have used it last night. I changed the fuel filter out and it took me way longer than it should have. The hoses were stuck on there as if somone glued them on. The whole time I was *****ing why they could not put the fuel filter on the frame rail like other cars. I could hardly get one of my hands down there to get to the fuel filter. I love when poeple post "I could do it in 10 minutes", well then come on over!

John
Old 06-10-2008, 09:24 AM

Originally Posted by garyrr
+1 i have abs and changed it to the zx filter in less then 10 min. It was a little stuck on but it came with some work. To his defence he posted 200 hp not 200whp so a dyno of 180 whp could be about 200 at the fly
Yeah thats why I was asking.
Old 06-10-2008, 10:08 AM
Administrator

I have ABS and big hands/arms and have changed the fuel filter, it's not that bad to get to.

But +1 on sharing your tips and tricks, could possibly help someone out.
Old 06-10-2008, 11:38 AM

hey guess i was being ignorant to the fact that im a bit at an advantage with my height (6'4") i can see how it can be awkward to reach.

to get the top hose out i found i had to crank the starter A LOT of times to relieve all the pressure. it kept starting even without the fuel pump fuse in. maybe try cranking more
Old 06-10-2008, 12:20 PM
this place is dead

Originally Posted by MaximaSpd85
i have abs, yes it is a pain in the booty. takes A LOT of patience. i found that removing the output hose from the hard fuel line rather than pulling the hose off of the filter made it somewhat easier.
you guys with ABS can't just disconnect the Intake?

I don't have ABS and that is what I had to do, unbolted everthing up to the TB....
Old 06-10-2008, 05:18 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Just another tip. Dip a rag in boiling water and wrap it over the hose for a minute. Softens up the rubber making pulling it off MUCH easier.
Old 06-10-2008, 05:34 PM
Administrator

Originally Posted by hurleybob
Old 06-10-2008, 05:49 PM

I literally just got back from changing my fuel filter...its a pain in the *** but I got it without removing anything. I have a short ram intake so no big airbox. I also relieved the fuel pressure which seemed to help. The hardest part is getting a philips on the hose clamps to loosen them. I have ABS too.

my arms are all cut up now tho but eh...

oh ya, 300zx FF ftw!
Old 06-10-2008, 09:17 PM

Originally Posted by ajcool2
I changed mine without doing all of that and I have ABS.

Also have you had your taurus dynoed? I've seen a stock SHO put down 180.
Meh, I guess it depends on how old and dried out the fuel hoses are. The previous owner of my car didn't keep up on maintenance very well and it was near impossible to get the hoses off. In fact, on the plastic side of the fuel filter that was on there, once I jacked the car up and went in from the wheel well, it pulled the nipple right off the fuel filter. I was just posting this up to let people know who had trouble like I did that jacking up the car was an easier way to do it IF you need the extra leverage, not saying everyone has to, but those who run into problems like this, I was just posting this as a suggestion for that.

As for the Taurus there was no point in having it dynoed, it wasn't a fast car, there is no cheap aftermarket, the only way to add power is pretty much a tune to get rid of the horrible Ford ECU programming that goes waaaaay too safe, a custom fabricated UDP, a custom fabricated y-pipe, and boring out the intake butterflies. Not to mention the AX4N transaxles on those things were absolutely horrid. The whole car was solid and reliable with the exception of that damn transmission, not only that they had huge drivetrain losses too. If I had to guess the Taurus 200 at the crank was really probably only 160-165 whp. In fact that is what most people dynoed at.

Either way, I absolutely hate automatics, which is why I bought a 5sp Maxima.

I was never trying to argue that my Taurus station wagon was a fast car, it just bugged me that an uneducated individual called BS on the 200 crank horsepower which is fact..... Not to mention he also is post whoring in a thread like a newbie contributing absolutely no relevant information. Oh well enough of that, if I had known some people were so sensitive I would have only listed my Maxima in my sig.... Maybe to make people feel better I'll list my previous previous car before the Taurus, a 1989 Sentra XE sport coupe with a whopping 90 crank horsepower. That should make people feel a little less defensive lol.

hey guess i was being ignorant to the fact that im a bit at an advantage with my height (6'4") i can see how it can be awkward to reach.

to get the top hose out i found i had to crank the starter A LOT of times to relieve all the pressure. it kept starting even without the fuel pump fuse in. maybe try cranking more
Yea, same here. I cranked it and let it sit a few minutes than cranked it again. It did the trick though, when I finally was able to rip the hose off (and the fuel filter nipple along with it lol) barely any fuel came out. I remember back when I changed the fuel filter on the Taurus, my previous vehicle that I just sold recently that seems to have caused a lot of hype in this thread, I just started it and let it die then disconnected the fuel filter hose and holy ****...sprayed fuel everywhere.

Hey! I never thought of that! That is a great idea! I am going to edit that into the original post!

Same for that too!

I literally just got back from changing my fuel filter...its a pain in the *** but I got it without removing anything. I have a short ram intake so no big airbox. I also relieved the fuel pressure which seemed to help. The hardest part is getting a philips on the hose clamps to loosen them. I have ABS too.

my arms are all cut up now tho but eh...

oh ya, 300zx FF ftw!
Oh yea, thats another thing, I didn't have any of those short screwdrivers and the direction the hose clamps were pointed it was just not possible to get a screw driver on it either, thats why I just jacked up the car, disconnected from the fuel rail,and went to work from the wheel well.

And yes, 300zx fuel filter FTW. I am surprised mine fit in that clamp/bracket thingy on the firewall too, the 300zx filter is quite a bit larger than the stock one!
Old 06-11-2008, 03:36 PM
Maintenance Monster

I also have ABS, and yes getting in there is a lot harder. The non-ABS owners just don't understand, it's ok. I still found that removing the intake and working from above was best.

The hoses tend to be glued solid to the filter. Just spray some PB blaster or other penetrating oil and use a pliers to work the hose slightly starting at the filter end of the stuck hose. As you work the hose the penetrating oil will release the grip of the hose, so with just a little gentle twisting of the hose it will come completely loose.

Now if you want a fun fuel filter change, try a 3rd gen RX-7. It's above the differential in the rear, and there is only room to get one arm on each side of the diff, so you basically have to work while hugging the diff and the gas pours down into your armpits. +10pts if you do it after driving for an hour.

Dave
Old 06-11-2008, 03:48 PM

Ha, funny! I JUST changed my fuel filter and replaced it with a 300z filter. It took me about 15 minutes but I had to remove the STUPID spring bracket for the original filter so I had room to work with the new oversized filter. The trick to doing the job is being physically flexible and skilled with your hands and knowing to use a lubricant on the fuel line connections to get the bigger tubes into the little hose. Something like the KY gel your girlfriend uses when I come to town!
Old 06-11-2008, 04:06 PM

Originally Posted by modenaf1
Umm.....wow. +1 and thumbs up for you and useful posts on the .org. [/sarcasm]

Do some research of the 3.0 Liter Duratec V6 back in 1996. 3 liter dual overhead cam, it had primary and secondary intake ports on each cylinder, one was closed below 3500RPM for better torque and above 3500 the butterflies snap open for better high RPM breathing. Yes, that is a somewhat variable intake manifold.

In fact here are some interesting facts on the engine:

Note the end part...it is twin turbocharged and they use it in the Noble sports cars. The reason? Not only is it capable of taking forced induction, it is one of the most lightweight 3.0 V6's of the 90's and even today.

Oh and also...

I might also note that this engine was on Wards 10 best engines list as well.

Do some research before you embarrass yourself with asinine comments like the above. As far as my Maxima being stock, I just bought it, on the to-do list is:

Cattman y-pipe
UDP
Eibach Prokit springs
Tokico Blues struts (id prefer illuminas but they may not fit in the budget)
FSTB
RSB

Let me guess? On yours you hit up ricersRus and threw on some body pieces? Because it sure sounds like it from your post. You are a shame to the .org. Do yourself a favor, go buy a civic and join some ricer forum and get the **** out.

Oh yes, and I forgot one thing, while on the topic of your post, who actually is laughing at who? I have done my fair share of axle replacements in the past, never before have I wedged a leaf spring in there and pounded it with a sledge. Yikes..if you want to laugh at the fact that my previous car was a Taurus wagon, just think about the fact that the transmission and both axles in it are in tip top shape while you are tearing your tranny apart trying to fish out that snap ring......whos laughing at who now?
Wow nice guy........(get a life)

Originally Posted by garyrr
agreed. but the SHOs had 220hp n the non V8 one's and I would say a non SHO would put down even worse.

But man SHO's are fast....