4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

I'm lost...

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2008, 10:56 AM
Jamaha80

I'm lost...

My car has started making a light knock/thump when steering while the car is stationary, or moving very very slow. It happens mostly when the steering is center and I just barely start to turn the wheel. It does it the instant I start turning the wheel and then thats it. It's not a repetative knock/thump. Just 1, as if something is shifting with the weight of the car. Normally I would suspect tie rods, but they (inner and outter) and also my drive axles were just replaced. Note tha it was making this sound before I replaced the axles/tie rods. The noise seems to be coming from the drivers side/center more than on the passenger side. Im guessing it could be the lower/steering knuckle ball joint, as I also get slight up and down movement in the steering wheel over bumps. I don't know how to check those ball joints for play without disconnecting the axle/strut from it. Thoughts on that? Steering rack? It leaks a little into the rack boots.
Also note that I replaced my struts a couple years ago. All the control arm/sway bar/link bushings look ok. Some are starting to crack and at 145k miles are probably less cushiony, but they are still intact. Would lower ball joinnts cause the knock/thump? When I had the axles out and strut disconnected from the knuckle the knuckle was lose and easily flopped around, but I didnt notice or check for play in the joint.

Last edited by Jamaha80; 07-07-2008 at 11:30 AM.

Old 07-07-2008, 02:49 PM

maybe your strut bearings or strut mounts.
Old 07-07-2008, 02:54 PM

cv boots prolly ripped and you getting gunk/dirt inside there..might wanna take a look!
Old 07-07-2008, 03:39 PM

your rightit could be the lower ball joint. or cuz you said driver center maybe the noise could be your control arm bushings. to check the ball joint for play jack the car up and try and wiggle the wheel up and down. side to sid would be to check the tie rods but you said they were new.
Old 07-07-2008, 04:59 PM
Jamaha80

Originally Posted by DrTySOUFMaX23
cv boots prolly ripped and you getting gunk/dirt inside there..might wanna take a look!
You might wanna take 30 seconds to read my entire post before replying. Regardless of that, your theory is not consitant with my symptoms.

maybe your strut bearings or strut mounts.
No, I replaced both when I replaced my struts a while back, and the noise is coming from lower area as opposed to higher by the strut bearing/mount.

your rightit could be the lower ball joint. or cuz you said driver center maybe the noise could be your control arm bushings. to check the ball joint for play jack the car up and try and wiggle the wheel up and down. side to sid would be to check the tie rods but you said they were new.
Bushings don't knock. A lack of one could case a knock, but as I said, all bushings are "ok" or at least present.

Thanks anyways....

I'll just get it back in the air and double check for side to side/up and down movement and also check the sway bar links more thoroughly.