4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Trying to install warpspeed B-pipe, rusted nut?

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2008, 03:20 PM

Trying to install warpspeed B-pipe, rusted nut?

One of the nuts that hold my B-pipe onto the cat is completely rusted and appears to be rounded. Does anyone know of what I can do to fix this and get it off? I took it to an exhaust shop and they wanted "60 dollars, possibly more" to get this off.

One thing I am unsure of, I can't really tell, is it a bolt that slides through from the flange on the cat, or is it a stud? If it was a bolt I guess I could go to town with a grinder and get a new one, but what do I do if it is just a stud?
Old 07-15-2008, 03:23 PM

Drill them out. Or torch them. Drilling is prolly going to be easiest.
Old 07-15-2008, 03:27 PM

Originally Posted by WhiteA32
Drill them out. Or torch them. Drilling is prolly going to be easiest.

Ok, I have never done either before, I assume with drilling I just take a drill bit and punch it through from the catalytic converter side of the flange?

Then what, do I need to get a new stud and thread it or can I just stick a bolt through and screw a nut on?
Old 07-15-2008, 03:50 PM

bolt and screw on a nut
Old 07-15-2008, 04:55 PM

u can take it to a muffler shop, I had the same thing with the two bolts $15 for them to drill it out and put new bolts in.
Old 07-15-2008, 05:43 PM

use a grinder and cut it off. By far the easiest. Thats what I did.

If yours is a stud, you can then drill it once the cat is off the car and then use a bolt.
Old 07-15-2008, 06:12 PM

Ok, I got underneath, I guess there is a small pipe where the rear o2 sensor is, I was trying to remove the wrong nuts.

I refocused my efforts to the flange directly on the cat.

These 14mm bolts are facing toward the cat (the head of the bolt toward the rear of the car) and there is no nut on the other side of the bolt, it looks like it screws right into the catalytic converter flange.

So far, no luck cracking them. I have a problem though, with the other pipe and the resonator there, it isn't possible to drill straight in. How should I do this?
Old 07-15-2008, 06:34 PM

Your most likely going to have to cut your stock b-pipe off. So cut it at a few places.

1. In front of the resonator.
2. Right before the bend around the axle before the muffler.

Those bolts will be rusted aswell. Did you buy a muffler too? or are you using the stock exhaust?
Old 07-16-2008, 02:06 PM

Ok, one of the bolts sheared off and the other broke free. The B pipe is now freed from the cat, which will allow me to drill part of that bolt out.

Now, I have been completely stopped dead in my tracks by the rear o2 sensor. I honest to god can not crack this loose. I have been soaking it with penetrating oil and no luck.

I have an oxygen sensor socket, but my problem is, with the b-pipe attached to the cat, I can't get this o2 sensor socket and wrench on and have any leverage. With it off, the whole pipe is moving and twisting and I can't get any force on it at all.

It would be great if I could just unplug the o2 sensor and just take the whole B-pipe off and work on it out of the car, but I undid that little rubber thingy and it is just wire, there is no connector up there.

I can't believe it...I have gotten so far and I am halted in my tracks by a flippin o2 sensor......

Anyone ever seen a grown man break down into tears on his driveway?
Old 07-16-2008, 02:53 PM

ok nvm on the 02 sensor, I figured there HAD to be a plug in there somewhere so I just yanked on the wires really hard and sure enough the connector came out.

Ok here is the problem now, how do I get the back of the B-pipe around the rear beam? I've tried angling it every which way. My car is on jackstands, it looks like its a piece of cake on a lift, but I dont have one available. Any ideas anyone?
Old 07-16-2008, 03:29 PM

Got mine on there with jackstands, just find the right angle and it should fit.
Oh, what exhaust setup u got?
Old 07-16-2008, 03:31 PM

Originally Posted by vilmaxima
Got mine on there with jackstands, just find the right angle and it should fit.
Oh, what exhaust setup u got?
I'm just trying to get the stock exhaust off for now. You know how it bends around the rear beam axle? I can't get the pipe out from there, I tried rotating it to the passengers side, to the drivers side, ive tried jacking up the front of the car, the back of the car, I just cant do it.

It is the stock exhaust, I unbolted the muffler, so now it is just that section of stock pipe that goes from the cat to the muffler.
Old 07-16-2008, 03:43 PM

I think you have to remove the little metal beam that crosses near the resonator. And that should get you enough room to remove the Bpipe
Old 07-16-2008, 03:49 PM

Originally Posted by WhiteA32
I think you have to remove the little metal beam that crosses near the resonator. And that should get you enough room to remove the Bpipe

Yep, ive got that removed. My only problem is that it is hanging up on the rear beam axle. The flange is either scraping up against the beam or my brake lines, and the top of the pipe where it goes to curve downward again is always hitting the fuel tank.

No matter which way I turn or twist it, I cant get the pipe to clear the rear beam or the fuel tank. I know there has to be a way to get this out without having to sawzall the pipe in half....
Old 07-16-2008, 05:01 PM

Ok, I was overthinking it trying to angle it every which way. I just moved it straight forward and got it off lol.

On a sidenote, my cheap *** "Powerbuilt" jack just exploded and sent my car smashing straight to the ground. I think I am going to take a break from my exhaust work for the time being lol.

When warm liquid sprayed all over my face I was like "oh god...some body part of mine just got smashed under that" it was just jack oil, but dang it scared the crap out of me.
Old 07-16-2008, 06:43 PM

Oh my god....this project is getting worse and worse..... Here is another update.

1.) My oxygen sensor on the old B-pipe is seized on, my socket just rounded the threads. How the **** does something get rusted on so well? I have been soaking the damn thing in penetrating oil for 2 days now off and on, ive been tapping on it with a chisel and hammer to try and crack some of the rust loose, I've tried heating up the bung with a torch, I can't flippin believe this.

2.) The stud that I have to drill out...well even with a metal drill bit the surface of the sheared bolt is smoother than silk, the damn drill bit wont even bite!!!!!!!!!!!!! Not to mention it is underneath the car at a ridiculous angle. Does anyone have any idea how I am supposed to drill this out or get my o2 sensor off?

Honest to god, at this point I am scared ****less to try and attempt the y-pipe. I have done exhausts before, on cars older and with more miles than this Maxima....NEVER have I run into trouble like this. Unflippinbelievable.......
Old 07-16-2008, 06:51 PM
jojo98maxima

Originally Posted by modenaf1
Oh my god....this project is getting worse and worse..... Here is another update.

1.) My oxygen sensor on the old B-pipe is seized on, my socket just rounded the threads. How the **** does something get rusted on so well? I have been soaking the damn thing in penetrating oil for 2 days now off and on, ive been tapping on it with a chisel and hammer to try and crack some of the rust loose, I've tried heating up the bung with a torch, I can't flippin believe this.

2.) The stud that I have to drill out...well even with a metal drill bit the surface of the sheared bolt is smoother than silk, the damn drill bit wont even bite!!!!!!!!!!!!! Not to mention it is underneath the car at a ridiculous angle. Does anyone have any idea how I am supposed to drill this out or get my o2 sensor off?

Honest to god, at this point I am scared ****less to try and attempt the y-pipe. I have done exhausts before, on cars older and with more miles than this Maxima....NEVER have I run into trouble like this. Unflippinbelievable.......
hay man nice project u have going there good luck u wont regret it

Old 07-16-2008, 08:41 PM

For the bpipe try taking a nail or something with a point, and hammering it in there just to make a small chip so that the drill bit will be able to catch on to something.