4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

spark plug gap? should i bother or no

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2008, 08:12 PM

spark plug gap? should i bother or no

i just got 6 nkg iridium IX spark plugs and im wondering wheater or not im suposed to adjust the gap on thease
Old 07-24-2008, 08:18 PM
No more Maximas...

Originally Posted by enik23
i just got 6 nkg iridium IX spark plugs and im wondering wheater or not im suposed to adjust the gap on thease
Feel free to check them, but if they say they're pre-gapped (which they do, undoubtedly) no need to gap them (assuming they check out right).

People tend to damage the iridiums while trying to gap them anyway.
Old 07-24-2008, 08:42 PM

^ i agree never gapped my ngks g powers they come pregapped
Old 07-25-2008, 06:47 AM
Addicted to the Org

As others have said. DO NOT GAP!!!!!!!!!
Old 07-25-2008, 06:49 AM
'Trynna' is not a word

In all the spark plugs I have replaced (trust me, its a LOT), I have never purchased a set and had all the gaps been correct out of the box. 1 or 2, but never all 6. Always at least check them. Use a wire gauge to check them, not those .50 cent POS disc they sell.
Old 07-25-2008, 07:04 AM
Advocatus Diaboli

on checking the gap

i had a set that said they were at .055 but ended up being closer to .075

always check the gap
Old 07-26-2008, 12:52 AM
Licensed to Spell

Originally Posted by mtrai760
In all the spark plugs I have replaced (trust me, its a LOT), I have never purchased a set and had all the gaps been correct out of the box. 1 or 2, but never all 6. Always at least check them. Use a wire gauge to check them, not those .50 cent POS disc they sell.
Well said. I too have never experienced all 6 being the same.
Old 07-26-2008, 10:00 AM

Originally Posted by Jamaha80
Those .50 cent POS discs work fine. They are accurate enough for any NA engine, and the point is that all the plugs have equal gaps. It's not like you've got a monster forced induction setup that you need a very precise gap measurement.
I dont think he meant absolutely for accuracy perhaps as much as them nasty discs can damage the iridium tip if not carefull
Old 07-26-2008, 05:56 PM
'Trynna' is not a word

Those .50 cent POS discs work fine. They are accurate enough for any NA engine, and the point is that all the plugs have equal gaps. It's not like you've got a monster forced induction setup that you need a very precise gap measurement.
How do you know what I'm running or how accurate my gap settings need to be? ***ume much do we?

'Good Enough' for you doesn't make it the right way. If you had any REAL mechanical back ground you would know that. :
Old 07-26-2008, 07:07 PM

Nice tactful response there JAMAHA80!

what exactly is considerd to be " real mechanical experience" ??
anyway there are valid points to both sides of the coin...
if care is taken, then there is nothing wrong with the disc. however I have seem them do damage . I personally use them, with no negative effect what so ever.

always check gaps! and for the "real" performance seekers...index them also.iirc we saw some hp increase as opposed to not indexing.(very minimal but it was there)
Old 07-26-2008, 07:18 PM

Thats a pretty aggressive response... Everything ok at home? If you had any REAL social skills, you wouldn't take such a hostile approach to such a harmless reply.

I'll play along though...

I retract my previous statement about using/not using the disc gaper with FI. The "POS disc" will work just fine for anyone no matter what engine/engine mods they have. I'm not saying it's a bad idea to have a wire gauge in your tool box though. They are handy and necessary for some things. I wouldn't discount the disc though, it is accurate and good enough for me and anyone else that doesn't have a rotting carcass up their ***. When talking about doing something "the right way", consider the topic. We are talking about spark plugs. If the difference between a disc gaper and a wire gaper happens to be .0001, wtf difference will it make? None, or no measurable real world difference. I can't believe you are challenging my mechanical background (notice it's one word, you were born in 77, huh?) over a spark plug gaper ROFL!
Very clever making the letters "***" red in the word assume though. Did you learn that strategy in 4th or 5th grade? The emo icons are certainly a clear indicator of your vengeful personality as well. Thanks for laying it all on the table for us, and showing just how much of a **** you can be!

Well you do realize that you are talking to some one with a F/I car right? I mean you are talking about him getting bent about you giving false info but lets look at your response. Go ahead take a min. Once you have read thru your b.s then maybe you will see that good enough just might not be. You sir have a great night and o, dont worry i have a mechanial background also and 2 boosted cars. TTYL
Old 07-26-2008, 07:31 PM

Precisely why I retracted my FI statement.
The point is, a disc gapper can be just as accurate if used properly. Maybe not in the hands of a nearly 300lb lard *** though....?

hey man, I posted the tactful response thing befor I read your edit...
...it still stands! LOL!!
Old 07-26-2008, 08:46 PM

^
Old 07-26-2008, 09:37 PM
'Trynna' is not a word

Thats a pretty aggressive response... Everything ok at home? If you had any REAL social skills, you wouldn't take such a hostile approach to such a harmless reply.

I'll play along though...

I retract my previous statement about using/not using the disc gaper with FI. The "POS disc" will work just fine for anyone no matter what engine/engine mods they have. I'm not saying it's a bad idea to have a wire gauge in your tool box though. They are handy and necessary for some things. I wouldn't discount the disc though, it is accurate and good enough for me and anyone else that doesn't have a rotting carcass up their ***. When talking about doing something "the right way", consider the topic. We are talking about spark plug gaping. If the difference between a disc gaper and a wire gaper happens to be .0001, wtf difference will it make? None, or no measurable real world difference. I can't believe you are challenging my mechanical background (notice it's one word, you were born in 77, huh?) over a spark plug gaper ROFL!
Very clever making the letters "***" red in the word assume though. Did you learn that strategy in 4th or 5th grade? The emo icons are certainly a clear indicator of your vengeful personality as well. Thanks for laying it all on the table for us, and showing just how much of a **** you can be!
Thank you grammer police. Instead of heading off to College after High School I headed off to serve my country for 10 years, but thanks for calling me out on a minor gramatical error. I'll make several more, so you can go ahead and look for them. One thing I do not make however are mechanical errors, or gross missassumptions. Now, have you ever checked the accuracy of those disc gauges, or are you ASSuming again. Yes, I made the *** large, just like your being. Do you know what happens when you ASSume? You make an *** of YOU and ME. I have actually measured those disc gauges before, and guess what? Between three of them from the same bin, I found descrepencies between .02-.04 off, using a micrometer. Not a big deal huh? Okay smartguy. In this day and age where everyone is trying to maximize the efficiency of there cars for the best fuel milage possible, the difference between setting your gap at .038 and .042 can have a signifigant affect on your fuel milage, to the tune of 2-3+ MPG. But hey, it's not a big deal right?

The other major problem with those disc adjusters is that they can damage platinum and iridium tipped plugs very easily. Copper not so much, but iridium especially can be pretty fragile. Your one of those people that goes and spends $60 on spark plugs, only to adjust them with a .50 cent tool.

I bet your also one of those people who doesn't bother to use a torque wrench, amiright? I know, your calibrated elbow does the job just fine. Silly engineers, coming up with torque specs. Silly engineers, spending all that time figuring out the correct spark plug gap. Run what you brung, Git R Dun!!!

I asked about your mechanical background because anyone who has done any studying or research into the cycles of the combustion engine and how spark plug gap and heat range affect the propagation of flame, combustion temperature, and cylinder pressure, would not so quickly dismiss spark plug gap so quickly, at least not without some real world data to back themselves up.

It's clear though that you have diarea of the mouth, or in this case, of the keyboard. I'm a nice guy normally, but when I see people spreading bad information on these forums, it really pisses me off. We have enough dumb asses here already, asking the same question day in and day out.

Thank you for contributing to the deliquency of the .Org. I hope no one here allows you the diservice of working on there vehicle, or accepts your halfwitted advice.
Old 07-26-2008, 09:59 PM
No more Maximas...

I'm not going to read all that. This topic is not worth any more effort than I've already put in, but as a bonus- Based on your previous remarks, I'll just assume it's more of the same closed minded and ill informed BS. Honestly, if someone were to tell me that you were a great asset to this site, I would tell them they were off by two letters. Feel free to add that to your stock pile of half witted zingers.
It's apparent that you are putting entirely too much thought and effort into something so simple and trivial. All for the sake of trying to sound intelligent. You failed. No biggy.
Keep on getting into it with mods, and I foresee a short future on the org for you.

Just a thought. mtrai is an asset around here, whether or not you may believe so.
Old 07-26-2008, 10:08 PM

rofl i use the disc when i first started. So I go in and ask for a wire gauge and the salesmen asked me why and I said i didnt want to use the disc, just seems to cheap and I didn't like the idea of it. Then he was trying to tell me that the disc just fine and the other sales dude had to tell him that i could buy what i wanted. Get the right tools, makes it so much easier don't take the **** personal. Be the better man, he was just making the post funny in my mind.
Old 07-26-2008, 10:14 PM

lmao, +1 on people using it as a wedge. thats the way i used to use it, and i always wondered how the heck i can gap plugs and not have it scratched up and eaten into....thats when someone pointed out to me the darn hole was actually for opening the gap. i felt like an idiot
Old 07-26-2008, 10:20 PM
No more Maximas...

And you are a sheep.
Old 07-27-2008, 12:00 AM
'Trynna' is not a word

You came on here and posted that spark plug gap doesn't matter, NA or FI. Who is closed minded and spreading bad information?

Your not speaking your mind, your running your mouth. Big difference.

I won't ban you for speaking your mind, but don't jump on other members just because they agree with me. pmohr happens to also be a valuable member here, and knows a thing or two about cars. You are proving yourself less valuable by the second.

Try reading these:
http://auto.howstuffworks.com/ignition-system2.htm
http://www.ngksparkplugs.com/tech_su...x.asp?mode=nml

And if you say your not going to bother, your just proving your a closed minded fool.
Old 07-27-2008, 12:42 AM
No more Maximas...

Originally Posted by mtrai760
I won't ban you for speaking your mind, but don't jump on other members just because they agree with me. pmohr happens to also be a valuable member here, and knows a thing or two about cars. You are proving yourself less valuable by the second.

So when do I get mod privs?
Old 07-27-2008, 01:09 AM
dot dot dot ...

Old 07-27-2008, 01:55 AM

Precisely why I retracted my FI statement. Very cute of you to run and play deffense in a situation which you were not involved to begin with though. I get a very Walmart rent-a-cop-ish vibe from you....
The point is, a disc gapper can be just as accurate if used properly. Maybe not in the hands of a nearly 300lb lard *** though....?

A mechanical background and 2 boosted cars is not an indicator of much, so I'm not sure where you were trying to go with that one....?
Well you have obviously proven how far your knowledge and common sense run. I wont say any thing else to you since you don't have any input any ways. And a rent a cop vibe? Wow i like that one. Did you think of that all by yourself? its cool, i understand that the less fortunate come to places and try to make a presence. Some of us don't need to do that since we have been here. Thank you and have a good night.
Old 07-27-2008, 01:59 AM
dot dot dot ...

And... for some reason, you think you're smart?
Old 07-27-2008, 02:15 AM

DO GAP THEM!!! I just installed ngk platinum spark plugs that were oem nissan and came from the dealer and no of them were correct gap. They all were off by a bit. When I took the old spark plugs out which were installed at the dealer during my 60k tune up they too were all off and not gapped. Now I installed the new plugs and gapped them before I installed them and car runs amazing like brand new. I know people say plugs don't make a difference that you can feel but I can feel it. Much better low end response now. Not sure it was because I gapped the plugs but my advice is check the gap and if its off then gap them.
Old 07-27-2008, 02:31 AM
oem ftw!

I suppose I don't value this site (and it's many assets) as much as others, and it shows. If I get banned, well thats fine.
Says the guy who, not even 10 days ago, was interested in becoming a mod:

If this site needs another mod/admin, I'll volunteer. I don't mean to come off as arogant, but these members are in desperate need of basic guidence. Over the last week, I have counted less than 10 members who regularly lend helpful advice. That is a minority. I know I could easily leave if I don't like it, but I'd like to try and make a difference or set a trend before I pull out due to frustration.
Evidently, frustration = win, Jamaha80 = loss.

Originally Posted by pmohr
So when do I get mod privs?

Old 07-27-2008, 06:23 AM

MODS why do you guys let this kind of stuff go on for so long when there is no helpful info being put out. This thread should have been closed at post #12 or 13 IMO and they could have continued their "friendly banter" in PM's to each other.
Old 07-27-2008, 06:30 AM

there is a lot of good info here if you can dig it out of the banter.

mtrai760, thanks for serving our country! that is very commendable thank you.

anyway ,not to argue...however, I was wondering where this 2-3 mpg difference data can be found? that is interesting. i would like to see that simply because there are sooooooo many factors that can change fuel milage by 2-3 mpg and it would be interesting to see the methodology of that data.

next , i would bet if three people gaped a plug with the same equipment, you would get three different gaps if you put a micrometer on it. people have different "feels" for that kind of stuff. so in my experience( i can give credentials) .02~.04 difference is not that critical. befor you flame me for assuming,this is not an assumption...this is real world road and track experience with quite a few applications far beyond a turbo maxima.now I am not saying that I dont strive for exact measurments,I do, but there will always be slight differences.
I appreciate everyones infromation. I dont think any of it is "bad"(in this thread at least) . I think there are different extremes and somewhere in the middle is ok.any tool used correctly is good...any tool used incorrectly can be damaging

so the consensus about checking the gap on new plugs seems to be a big YES! LOL