4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

ABS light goes on and off intermittently

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2008, 12:05 PM

I’ve been experience the ABS light coming on and off intermittently the last month or two. I can rule out low brake fluid, but I’m not sure if it is due to a bad sensor or if this becomes a common problem (electrical?).

How do I pull the codes to identify which sensor is the culprit?
How much is a sensor and where I can get one for cheaper (want to avoid stealerships)?
Is there a how to or is this for DIY?

Thanks in advance.
Old 08-01-2008, 09:27 PM

Anyone else had problems with their ABS?
Old 08-01-2008, 09:35 PM
4th Gen Parts King

Download a copy of the FSM. It will tell you how to pull the codes. It's probably a front sensor that is bad and you would have to buy a brand new one from the dealer.
Old 08-19-2008, 10:40 AM

if the car runs well, forget about it until you notice something. you can get sensors from the junkyard too.
Old 08-19-2008, 11:04 AM

my abs light used to come on every once and a while before my alternator bit the big one. it must have been because of voltage fluctuations. but I as blowing headlights also at that time.it was going on for like atleast a month before the headlights started to blow though. not sayin its your problem but I thought it was a strange thing to be happening because of a bad alt, so I figured I would mention it just incase.
Old 08-19-2008, 01:59 PM

I wonder if a faulty wheel bearing make affect the ABS sensor.. I know one of my front wheel bearing is bad.

If you take a look at the diagram, there is an ABS sensor rotor that is in close proximity to the wheel bearing hub. If the bearing are going bad and cause metal debris or grease to get onto the sensor rotor (if this is even possible), it would affect the ABS sensor from reading the rotor.

http://forums.nicoclub.com/zerothread/296475
Old 08-19-2008, 04:37 PM

Originally Posted by PhillyDonut
I wonder if a faulty wheel bearing make affect the ABS sensor.. I know one of my front wheel bearing is bad.

If you take a look at the diagram, there is an ABS sensor rotor that is in close proximity to the wheel bearing hub. If the bearing are going bad and cause metal debris or grease to get onto the sensor rotor (if this is even possible), it would affect the ABS sensor from reading the rotor.

http://forums.nicoclub.com/zerothread/296475
Wheel bearings will not set off the ABS. If you are getting an ABS light, usually one of your sensors is on its way out. There is a way to figure out which wheel it is, and it is a procedure listed in the FSM as said above.

Only bad thing about the wheel sensors is that they are $170 from the dealer, and trying to get one out of a junked car is impossible. You would be better off switching out the entire hub.

Hope this helps, good luck.
Old 08-20-2008, 09:27 PM

Originally Posted by j2b4osan
my abs light used to come on every once and a while before my alternator bit the big one. it must have been because of voltage fluctuations. but I as blowing headlights also at that time.it was going on for like atleast a month before the headlights started to blow though. not sayin its your problem but I thought it was a strange thing to be happening because of a bad alt, so I figured I would mention it just incase.
same here this happened to me then my alternator got so hot the wires caught fire.. check that out
Old 11-26-2008, 09:49 AM

My 95 started having the ABS light come on and off as well. It comes on when the engine is warm, but disappears when it warms up. What's really odd is that when I press on the brake, then the stereo will shut itself off. Eventually the stereo will stop cutting out once the car is warmed up.

I've taken it to a mechanic and he says that there is nothing wrong with my ABS brakes and he doesn't know why the light comes on. He's already tried cleaning the sensors. Any clues?
Old 11-26-2008, 11:43 AM

Might want to check w/your mechanic to be sure he read codes from the ABS computer, not the OBDII. If he's reading OBDII, there will be no code that tells him/her what the problem is with your ABS.

You have to read codes from the ABS computer.

To do so, the FSM says ground terminal L of the ABS connector (I think it is the fifth hole down the LH side of the little grey connector you can see on the RHS underneath the fuse cover at your left knee when you're sitting in the driver's seat on a LHD car), turn key on, light will flash code, look up code, diag from there. To clear, perform as above and ground three times for at least 1 second each within 12 seconds (where DO the Japanese come up with this stuff). If code cleared, light will go out. If you read again, you will still get a code 12 meaning "all is well" but no other code.

I just bought a new ABS speed sensor for $65 delivered. Looks factory to me. I have no idea if it works yet (to be installed this afternoon) but came with 1 year guarantee. PM me if you're interested in the source and the outcome..., no affiliation, association, etc.
Old 11-28-2008, 08:53 PM

Originally Posted by j2b4osan

I had the same thing happen to me earlier this month. Abs light was coming on and my headlights were blowing out. Changed the alternator because it was overcharging and the problem was solved. It did seem strange that my abs light came on and not my battery light.
Old 10-29-2012, 06:34 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Originally Posted by emoore924
Might want to check w/your mechanic to be sure he read codes from the ABS computer, not the OBDII. If he's reading OBDII, there will be no code that tells him/her what the problem is with your ABS.

You have to read codes from the ABS computer.

To do so, the FSM says ground terminal L of the ABS connector (I think it is the fifth hole down the LH side of the little grey connector you can see on the RHS underneath the fuse cover at your left knee when you're sitting in the driver's seat on a LHD car), turn key on, light will flash code, look up code, diag from there. To clear, perform as above and ground three times for at least 1 second each within 12 seconds (where DO the Japanese come up with this stuff). If code cleared, light will go out. If you read again, you will still get a code 12 meaning "all is well" but no other code.

I just bought a new ABS speed sensor for $65 delivered. Looks factory to me. I have no idea if it works yet (to be installed this afternoon) but came with 1 year guarantee. PM me if you're interested in the source and the outcome..., no affiliation, association, etc.
I have 1995 GLE maxima and my ABS comes on and off quite a bit........I want to know the outcome of your problem
Old 10-29-2012, 02:11 PM

Originally Posted by madoka
My 95 started having the ABS light come on and off as well. It comes on when the engine is warm, but disappears when it warms up. What's really odd is that when I press on the brake, then the stereo will shut itself off. Eventually the stereo will stop cutting out once the car is warmed up.

I've taken it to a mechanic and he says that there is nothing wrong with my ABS brakes and he doesn't know why the light comes on. He's already tried cleaning the sensors. Any clues?
I have the same issue with mine and I've made it a point to put my brakes to the test:

When it's on, i have no ABS braking, just regular, non-abs functions

When it's off, then the ABS works normally and without issues.

I theorize that the issue may be a loose wire or connection somewhere. Pay attention to when you're braking. I've noticed a very slight shudder emanating from the brake pedal when when it engages and disengages. I haven't fixed this yet because, quite frankly, I just can't be bothered. While ABS is great to have, in the end, a good driver will know how he should be driving given road and weather conditions that everything should be ok.