4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Inside of front left wheel is grease stained.

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2008, 04:17 PM

Inside of front left wheel is grease stained.

Hi all,

I've had issues with the left front brake caliper seizing due to one caliper sliding bolt rusting out. It resulted in very fast pad wear which ended up damaging the rotor. I've replace the rotor and pads. Cleaned out the caliper bracket and installed new caliper pins. As I had to replace the left side brake pads, it was pertinent to replace the right side as well, for consistancy. While I was doing the right side I noticed that one of the sliding caliper pins was also seized up. Wound up cleaning the right side pin and caliper bracket (didn't have another new set of pins for the right side, as the local distributer was out). Anyhow, after a couple of weeks, I notice that the inside of the left wheel is stained with what looks to be black grease spots. The black is likely from brake dust, but where is the grease coming from? I had the same issue before the brake job and thought that it was from the brake pin being seized and maybe the pin grease came out? The boots at the constant velocity joints look fine. The right side is clean...

Any thoughts?
Old 09-22-2008, 04:59 PM

have you checked your cv joint?
Old 09-22-2008, 05:19 PM

@Feldman:

Originally Posted by chrisZ
The boots at the constant velocity joints look fine.
Old 09-22-2008, 05:32 PM

Originally Posted by 99BettySE
@Feldman:

lol, i deserve that for reading all but the last line
Old 09-22-2008, 05:32 PM
No more Maximas...

How thoroughly did you check out the outer axle boots? Just a quick visual, or actually spinning the axle and checking inside each fold for minor cracks? Even the smallest tear can still fling grease out into the wheel well.
Old 09-22-2008, 06:52 PM

make sure that you are not leaking anything from your brake calipers. I know it seems like it would have other ramifications, but a blown piston seal can be fairly transparent to the driver, and leave the fluid right on the inside of the wheel.you will see residue on the caliper.

P.S. Caliper slide pins don't retain a notable amount of grease, and would purge basically all of it if it were over filled. If you wipe it up and it comes back, its not the slide pins.
Old 09-23-2008, 09:02 AM

For the CV joints, they are bone dry. No sign of any leakage or tears. Ditto for the piston, no sign of any leakage, and it retracted smoothly. I know my bleeder screws (both front sides) have lost their covers and are now useless for bleeding, but don't leak. I wil be replacing the bleader screws and bleeding the brakes in the next two months with my winter tire change over.

I remember that I did pack grease farily well into the sliding pin cavities, but while reassembling I cleaned out any that came out between the rubber boots. Perhaps I'll clean the inside of the wheel and see if the grease comes back.

Thanks,