4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Where is this leak coming from...

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2008, 05:22 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Where is this leak coming from...

I routinely look under my car to see if there are any signs of my tranny leaking. It appears to be fine around the tranny but behind the tranny, it appears to have the appearance of oil spread. I couldn't get all the way under as it was dark outside, but maybe these pics can help identify the issue and hopefully it's not a big deal. I have no signs of a problem. The motor oil level is perfect.

What do you think this could be?

Old 09-23-2008, 05:46 PM

i'm not really sure what boot that is coming from the pics...but that boot looks messed up..when you touch it with ur finger, is it like sticky??? or is it like just oily?? if its sticky, its the grease from the boot, and the grease as attracted whatever the road has....
Old 09-23-2008, 06:04 PM

It's from the inside of the CV boot, when you turn--do you hear a loud clacking noise?
Old 09-23-2008, 06:20 PM

That definetly looks like a steering rack boot. It also looks like the rack is leaking

Mine looked like that when one of my boots ripped.

According to some credible people on here (JtzMax & dgeesaman), there isn't supposed to be any grease inside the steering rack boots.

You'd need to replace the boot/s, but might as well replace the tie rods since the amount of work involved is basically the same.

Last edited by heynow; 09-23-2008 at 06:24 PM.
Old 09-23-2008, 07:23 PM

Make sure it's not your Power steering pump leaking down unto the rack! If it is the rack then it's time for a new or rebuilt one! The other thing is that now you're gonna have all kinds of bushing problems, due to the oil leak which will destroy the rubber bushings use on the sway bar, the LCA, Cv boots, any rubber part etc.....
Old 09-23-2008, 08:03 PM
Whatchyou say?

Originally Posted by CMax03
Make sure it's not your Power steering pump leaking down unto the rack! If it is the rack then it's time for a new or rebuilt one! The other thing is that now you're gonna have all kinds of bushing problems, due to the oil leak which will destroy the rubber bushings use on the sway bar, the LCA, Cv boots, any rubber part etc.....

I agree ... steering rack boot and in the first picture, you can see the rod (shiny - oohhh pretty! lol) The fluid is likely PS fluid, check the rez on the pass side of the car - strut tower. If it's low, refill it and see how long it takes to go down. If it's dry, do the same. This will eventualy lead to a PS pump lose and at least tie rod ends (inner / outter) and possibly a rack - pinion failure too. Best to get it fixed as soon as you can. Next time you're at the carwash, just hit the underside with some soap and blow that stuff off, see how long it takes to get bad again - this can help to determine how long before you need to do the job / have the job done.
Old 09-23-2008, 08:08 PM

I thought it was the rack also...In April, I noticed a leak by the steering rack and when I brought it to my mechanic, he told me that the rack needed to be replaced because it was leaking. He charged me 1,100 dollars for the rack and a few other things to be done, including my front struts at the time. I'll call him tomorow and let him know that it's still leaking.

With regards to it destroying other rubber bushings, what's my options at this point? I'm trying to keep this car for as long as I can. Since I got it three years ago, i've put 52k on it... I'm going to hit 98k on it this week and feel that it drives so well...
Old 09-23-2008, 08:51 PM

Take it up with your mech!!
See what he says. There's no reason you should get stuck with a leaking replacement rack.
Old 09-24-2008, 05:31 AM
Whatchyou say?

I agree to take it back and have them look at it, show it to you, and if it is the rack, see what kind of warranty they have. You have to look at it two ways, 1. the customers way, 2. the shops way

It's possible that the tech didn't do the job right the first time, always a possibility. It's also possible that the part was defective in the first place. On the other hand, did you maybe run over something, have it fly up and tear the boot? Probably not, but how does the shop know that? They should be able to tell from looking - what went wrong and be able to show / explain it to you.

My guess is that the tech probably didn't do the job right, maybe clamp left loose or a PS line not fully hooked up or who knows what. Anyway ... take it back asap so if there is a warranty, you make it in time. Unless the shop is trying to screw you (most don't) on this, they shouldn't have a problem understanding that a rack is supposed to last a bit longer than a few months. lol Keep in mind, they want you to come back for EVERYTHING! Oil changes, brakes, engine work, a/c stuff .... all of it, so they will likely work with you, keeping that in mind.
Old 09-24-2008, 10:33 AM

I spoke with mechanic and he was like who told you it was leaking. I told him that I can see that it's leaking and he told me to bring it in so he can take a look at it...

What causes a rack to leak? Can rims have something to do with it?
Old 09-24-2008, 11:22 AM

rims will not play an issue generally. However, a lowered car will play in many effects such as the avle, tie rods but i'm not sure about the rack. But if he tells you that its because you have rims, then its BS. And if it was april, then there should still be a warranty on the rack. But he's might charge you for labor if HE doesn't warranty it. A manufacture warranty only covers the part, if he gave no warranty, it means you would have to pay him for all the labor...which isn't cheap...
Old 09-24-2008, 04:30 PM
Whatchyou say?

Good post. ^^^^ Squash

The rack can leak because of a pad pump too. It's possible that if you just had the rack done not to long ago, that could increase the pressure to the PS pump. When they fixed the rack, they should have flushed the pump and rez, and I bet they didn't. If not, this can cause peices of shrap to go into the pump and that will destroy internals. It could be that the PS pump is bad, they may have left a clamp loose, dunno. Gotta let them check it out. Like mentioned, you may have to pay labor, but I bet it will be on the pump. The rack is really too new to have gone bad.