4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Is this problem strut-bearing related?

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-2001, 07:12 AM
I'm so hood

Is this problem strut-bearing related?

I tried to do some research through some posts concerning bad strut bearings, and found a LOT of posts, mostly on people's rides that have ample suspension work done to them.

My suspension is completely stock on my SE. Something in the front struts/wheels seems a bit loose. When I come out of my garage, and go over the same crack every day, my rear is silky smooth, but there's a tiny bit of 'bounce' when the front wheels go over it, and a small "shaky" noise. This tiny bit of bounce is thus, present in a lot of my normal driving, and I think causes the steering wheel to have a little bit of play when I take my hands off it. It doesn't seem to really be negative to drive the car around like this - but it would obviously be tighter/more firm, and a little quieter, if I got this taken care of. Sound like strut bearing?

Also, in the strut bearing test, where you turn the wheel at a stop through the full range to listen for a noise, can the noise be heard from the cabin, and is it supposed to occur at the end of the steering wheel's cycles, or more towards the middle by where the front wheels transition from one way -> middle -> the other way?

Thanks guys...
Old 11-13-2001, 07:46 AM
Administrator

something you may have never thought to check that might have some substance..

check your lug nuts.. going to the track very frequently last year.. i kept changing between 15's and 18's and one of the times while i was driving i was getting a vibration or a small sound.. i first thought it was my CV Joints but i later found out it was my lugnuts..

here is what you do..

[Daniel B Martin]
  • Have a friend drive the car slowly while you run along side the car and slowly make a turn to see if you hear any noise from the suspension, could be your bearings or it could be your strut mounts
  • have the friend drive the car while you are next to it and listen by your wheel area to see if its the lugnuts or any part of the wheel

whatever you do.. try to diagnose the problem bit by bit .. very slowly and try to isolate where the noise is coming from.. once you have done so.. feel free to post again .. this way it will be a more specific diagnosis and we might be able to offer a greater solution or you may have found the problem yourself also..

Good Luck

[/Daniel B Martin]